Random Tales of Glory...and Woe

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Was scores racing with a guy on PS3 and he has beaten some of my all time high scores, I'm waiting for a flipper lag patch just because our TV doesn't have a game mode and I've told him countless times that a lot of people experience lag form TPA on PS3. He does not come to these forums so he has no idea what I'm talking about guess his TV runs TPA perfect, but I doubt that.

Yeah, some people just aren't sensitive to it, because they don't know any better. Even in enthusiast gamer forums, you have people who don't know what screen tearing is, who can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, don't detect input lag, don't detect slowdown or sub 30 fps gameplay. You have people who can't tell DVD from Blu Ray.

I don't think these people are "dumb" per say, I just think you'd have to literally show them either a side by side or have them play one, then play the other then they'd be like "oh I see the difference" or "oh I feel the difference". I dated a girl a while back who had a twelve year old kid, he didn't know any better had his 360 hooked composite but when I swapped in an HDMI he was like "oh wow it's so colorful and clear now!".

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I don't have any lag on my PS3 set up. Seriously. Been a gamer since before Pong, so I'm no newbie. So judging from my own experience, yes, it is possible to run a PS3 TPA set up perfectly. And no, I don't know why I'm so fortunate. What I do know is that I don't wanna replace my TV for a while.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't have any lag on my PS3 set up. Seriously. Been a gamer since before Pong, so I'm no newbie. So judging from my own experience, yes, it is possible to run a PS3 TPA set up perfectly. And no, I don't know why I'm so fortunate. What I do know is that I don't wanna replace my TV for a while.

Yeah, same here. With both my 360 and PS3 hooked up to my TV, flipping back and forth between the two, the gameplay is identical with no noticeable lag on either. It depends on the TV and settings, but yes it's possible to have a lag-free experience on the PS3, and it's not because we "don't know any better". :p

But anyway, there are plenty of topics about PS3 lag...

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Yeah, same here. With both my 360 and PS3 hooked up to my TV, flipping back and forth between the two, the gameplay is identical with no noticeable lag on either. It depends on the TV, but yes it's possible to have a lag-free experience on the PS3, and it's not because we "don't know any better". :p...

when i bought a new TV a few years back, my Wii PHOF scores instantly went through the roof. i was flabbergasted. i didn't realize i had been playing with significant tv-induced lag. i didn't modify the setup or any of the cables. the only difference was the new tv had a "game" mode that turned off its post-processing and noise-reduction features and reduced lag to a minimum. the split second difference really mattered.

N

netizen

Got a Nexus 10 last weekend so I have been starting all my goals over again from scratch; no big deal did them once I can do them again right? :p

Finally sat down to play some TZ after mucking about with the tournament and getting served.
1st ball I scored around 300k. :confused:
The second ball I get LITZ and nearly beat my previous high score, I was 400k short of the record, with 1 ball to go and 2 extra balls.

Somehow I manage to finish the game with my leaderboard High Score still intact and my understanding of pinball in ruins. If there was a post I could hit to generate a RDTM, I hit it, somehow the right ramp was made of unobtanium and the left ramp would slam the ball RDTM every chance it could when I went for the 3 way combo.

If it was any consolation I got all the standard goals in a single game. Yay me!!

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
So I first bought TPA on on XBLA. I had it for a couple of weeks before I started itching for new tables. So I switched to PS3 and bought them all again plus the new ones. While playing it on 360 I was still learning the ropes and ridding myself of my Zen developed habits. So once I made the transition and realized how bad the lag was on the PS3 I decided not to play the 360 version anymore as it kept exacerbating things when I went back to the PS. One of my favourite tables is MB, mostly because of the theme (I'm a sucker for the Universal Monsters), but I couldnt beat the score I set early on on the 360 of about 860M. I came close 3 times on the PS but I just found making the orbit shots too difficult with the lag. 2+ months of chasing that score finally drove me off the table.

So last night I decided I'd give the 360 another go, and boy did I forget how much better it plays. Long story short, I decided on a round of MB today and I was SHOCKED by my results! Since I don't have any of you on my 360 list I figured I take a pic ;)

#68 all time!! By FAR my highest placing yet! I had 2 MOR's on one ball and four overall! Ahhh...now I can move on to another table...finally!

PS. God I hope they fix the flipper lag on PS. (Last time, I promise)

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
MB is the final pack I'm missing on 360, but now I feel like getting it so I can challenge your score. Looks like a long, steep battle.

Feel free to add me, if you don't mind strangers on your list. :) - Gamer tag: Sumez

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
MB is the final pack I'm missing on 360, but now I feel like getting it so I can challenge your score. Looks like a long, steep battle.

Feel free to add me, if you don't mind strangers on your list. :) - Gamer tag: Sumez

Adding now. Would be nice to have some scores to chase on 360! Anyone can feel free to add me. GT: Smoove rr

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
on IOS, I recently started using my Farsight login, which means i have to re-do high scores on all my tables. i have been revisiting tables i haven't played in a while and i'm sort of shocked how much my skill has improved since i first "mastered" them. for example, i haven't played Creature from the Black Lagoon in months. my previous high score was 3.5 billion. tonight, on my first try, i topped 6.6 billion!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Woot, just broke the 1 million barrier on Genie and took the #1 spot on my friends list. Looks like I'm at 18th in the world.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
karaoke is a guilty pleassure of mine. (see the 5 things about yourself thread) I do a mean "Sweet Caroline". No stick with me, this is going somewhere....
I like to play pinball on my tablet in between singing-turns. When my turn is up, I have to pause my game.
Sometimes I pause the game with the ball -so it seems- dangerously close to a STDM drain...
...when restart the game I manage to prolong my turn just fine.
Moments like that feel badass.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Woot, just broke the 1 million barrier on Genie and took the #1 spot on my friends list. Looks like I'm at 18th in the world.

Jeff Jeff Jeff, you musn't throw down the gauntlet like that. Now instead of just ignoring the board, I must now focus my attention on dethroning you.

Although, I haven't been able to break a million more than once, so there's a good chance you'll hold steady. Congratulations.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Feature Request: replays.

I'd LOVE to watch other people's games!

(Could be done using virtual-joysticks method. No video transfer required. Very bandwidth and server friendly.)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff Jeff Jeff, you musn't throw down the gauntlet like that. Now instead of just ignoring the board, I must now focus my attention on dethroning you.

That's exactly the response I was looking for :D.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Feature Request: replays.

I'd LOVE to watch other people's games!

(Could be done using virtual-joysticks method. No video transfer required. Very bandwidth and server friendly.)

If that's the case, then that would be absolute proof that there is no randomness whatsoever. I'm not sure I want to know that.

Last edited:

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
FINALLY hit the super jackpot in CFTBL, which is one of my favorite tables. I did it in tournament mode, so while it helps my ranking - it didn't tick the wizard goal off! Why doesn't tournament mode count towards table and wizard goals?

If I had activated Super Scoring during the tournament, I would be a lot angrier about it.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
If that's the case, then that would be absolute proof that there is no randomness whatsoever. I'm not sure I want to know that.

Ah, they're related, but two different things.

Even a completely deterministic system can exhibit pseudo-randomness.

For example, you can design a system that will "randomly" produce variation in the elastic response of the slingshot rubbers, within a range. So you'll get slightly different ball behaviour from each hit, yet this behaviour can be reproduced by the game engine for replays.

K

Korven

Been trying to catch up on my cell phone score and get 1000 HoF points on EATPM on the Nexus for some time now.

That do I get from the scoop the first time I hit it on ball 1? An EB ofcourse... Passing 3M on the same ball, no stacking on andriod...
Fast forward to ball 3, I'm on 24M and the 3M shot is lit (thinking for my self "you must concentrate"), miss the shot and drain... Current high on Nexus is 26M... So frustrated right now :(

Edit:

I rarely play ToM these days, but just now I finally got the EB from the digital pinball! :)
Had a great game up until it ended with a tilt due to shaky hands during the GF (2nd time ony I've gotten it) :(

Last edited:

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Ahh... Glory & Woe. There's nothing like getting a ball stuck under the upper flipper on a LiTZ and draining the rest on your balls (5 of 'em) in the most dignified manner possible in order to post a 17.5bil score to the leaderboard. I was gonna put this game out of reach.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.