Random Tales of Glory...and Woe

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I know the feeling. :) I think Spider-Man has the perfect balance, where 100 mil is a good game. 100 mil SOUNDS like a good game. 15 mil doesn't.

Don't say that... my record on Spider-Man is only 80M :(

Here's a tale of woe for you... was really in the zone playing Haunted House earlier, was blasting toward the double scoring on all playfields goal. But my left arm got itchy. So I cradled the ball, and went to scratch my arm with my right hand (holding the controller). I scraped the right anologue stick off of my arm accidentally... TILT. HH only takes one firm nudge to tilt :(

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I jumped 2040 places on the all time leaderboard for Attack from Mars. More a tale of joy than glory. I now am at 4009 on the leaderboard.

I attribute this big jump on the analog nudge for pc. What a difference that made for me.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Saw a PotC for the first time and decided to play it. Saw that the high scores started at 30M. "I can take that", I thought.

£6 later I had discovered the best strategy for instant reward was multiball stacking, had successfully pulled it off, and by the time the multiball had finished, due to the randomness of multiball the board had lit up like a Christmas tree and was giving me 2M per shot. Ended up with 50M. 5M from high score 1... why is there always a "one that got away" element with a great game of pinball?

I really like the machine, though. Which surprised me. But I found out it was a Dennis Nordman, and now I know why I like it. The enclosed spinning disc should have gave it away for me... reeks of Dr Dude. The timed multiball where you load the spinner with balls is genius.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
I copied this over from real pinball where it got lost:

We all have a bad day. In fishing world theres the one that got away. In Pinball world we have the one that got away / drained at the worse moment. I'll start.

The time is spring 1984 place college game room table EBD . EBD had a special back glass feature which i will try to explain.
Game play / basic object of game was to first hit the drop targets down on the right hand side. Each drop target represented a ball on a pool table. Once you knocked those drop targets down you had to get the ball in the saucer in the upper right called the eight ball corner pocket. Once you got the ball in there the deluxe targets that were behind the drop targets you knocked down would light for special (3 ball game). Completing the D-E-L-U-X-E target bank would score 1 replay if lit for red special OR 50,000 points if lit for blue 50,000 points. The red special lit first on the 3 ball game. In either case completing that deluxe bank lit a DELUXE letter on the BACKGLASS. Completing deluxe on the BACKGLASS scored 3 replays . This did not happen often many quarters would be pumped in .

On this day the D-E-L-U-X were all lit on the backglass. The "E" was needed to complete the DELUXE on the backglass. In went my quarter has it had gone in many times before. Game started going good. Dropped all the ball drop targets and got the eight ball corner pocket. Deluxe lights for special and out comes that famous voice "one more for deluxe" "one more for deluxe" !!! I hit all the targets EXCEPT the "E" is remaining. The ball hits it but not hard enough i need to get control of the ball and hit it again harder. The ball starts heading down towards the flippers. "one more for deluxe" booms the machine. I was getting ready to cradle the ball in the left flipper but i slip and bobble the ball of the darn tip of the flipper and it DRAINS !!!!! Once in a lifetime opportunity lost forever as targets reset upon drain and it was last ball.

At that point i gracefully slammed the machine down which activates the kill switch and blows the game away and blows away the match. Shortly afterwards the college term ended and that was it for the college game room. EBD disappeared from the arcades so i never got another chance at the deluxe. Well this one that got away has been a secret i kept for 29 years when i hit post it won't be a secret anymore.
Time warp to the year 2013. Virtual pinball tables have hit the computer world simulating EBD. Recreated that game several times complete with rolling the DELUXE on the backglass. Score / grudge with table settled as far as i am concerned.

budtki@verizon.net

Aug 20, 2012
Space shuttle

i used to spank this machine on the hall of fame, TPA'S version is very competitive, my tale of woe goes like this...i scored 5 and a half million on ball #1 and had 3 extra balls stockpiled...one would think that a top 5 score would be easily attainable being that a score of 8 or 9 million will land you in the top five....but WOE is me, i don't even know what happened, either the A.I.(algorythmic level of difficulty) drained every one of those balls in 3 minutes or i supposedly got so nervous that i had forget how to play pinball altogether.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Looking through Pinball Arcade streams on PS4, I found one stream where the video was just sitting at the title screen for a table. Nothing appeared to be going on, but I could hear the player on his mic--he was snoring! I typed "Sweet dreams!" and tip-toed out of the channel : o

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.