Run you clever boy!(doctor who series 7)

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
I watch the new series live if I can, but always buy them afterwards from Amazon. They're pretty good about keeping up with the Season as it progresses. Just now am finishing up the replacement of my old VHS to computer dubs with DVD versions on classic series.

Timelord ...

Don't have cable, so whenever I am in the mood to just watch stuff I just pop some money for a month of Netflix whenever.

N

netizen

OT post: hey Timelord, look it's in HD-ish

the rest of the eps on this channel are too

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
netizen, that is exactly the source I am re-watching the series from.

Thanks for the link, bro ... I really appreciate you thinking of me!

Timelord ...

OT post: hey Timelord, look it's in HD-ish

the rest of the eps on this channel are too

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks Jeff !

The Mirror in England is the equivalent of the National Enquirer in the USA, so I'm taking this with the proverbial grain of salt. I read about this back when the thread started and BBC has yet to confirm the story.

Don't get me wrong though, if comes true I'll be one happy camper. I'm just finishing up getting the DVD's to update my older VHS copies of the classic series and would welcome filling in the gaps, especially the Troughton years.

Timelord ...

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
If this is true and the quality of the recordings is near broadcast (format dependant) then this is massive news for the BBC.

DVD sales are a huge income potential here, hopefully meaning that down the years, Peter Capaldi's future is more than secure.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
All things being equal ...

Yeah, Chris, I'm keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

We'll see!

;)

Timelord ...

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
The only odd thing on this Jeff is that the BBC have asked worldwide on a number of occasions, for anyone with old copies of lost episodes to get in touch, with limited success.

Miracles have happened though.. Eyes peeled for news from 'Auntie Beeb'.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Not this time ...

BBC cannot confirm finds of 100 newly found episodes in Ethiopia

New info from BBC.

Looks like some new releases, but not new finds. I just purchased 6 episodes (one story) like this six months ago, a digitally remastered version of "Tomb of the Cybermen" which previously were unavailable due to condition of the films. New restoration processes made it possible to piece together and bring them up to watchable standards These old episodes were filmed on celluloid. They started restoring old "lost" episodes in the late 1990's and the efforts are ongoing. Still good news, but according to BBC "Rumors of 100 newly found episodes found in Ethiopia are 'wide from the mark' ".

I'm still waiting for the BBC news conference on Thursday to see which ones they are releasing. Good stuff !!!

Timelord ...

Last edited:

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
News Conference results from BBC

So, 11 episodes, 9 of which were lost have been recovered.

They are two Patrick Troughton era "story serials": Enemy of the world (Story number 40, Dec 23rd 1967 to Jan 27th 1968) and Web of Fear (Story number 41, Feb 3rd 1968 to March 9th 1968).

A good day for all fans of Classic Doctor WHO. :)

Timelord ...

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Ah the old we found episodes in Ethiopa has reached Whovian fandom, this is a "urban legend" thing that has been going on in various fan circles since the '90's , I recall the tales of them finding lost episodes of KIMBA the White Lion in the NBC vaults , and we actually had connections to the RIGHT STUFF VIDEO co. that went after them , only to find that it was just a rumour someone started ..

As for Dr. Who the BBC America ran a marathon for the 50 th celebration and I'm now among the show's fans , marvelous stuff .

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just watched "An Adventure in Space and Time" last night. As I know so little about the BBC, it was interesting seeing how TV was run both back then and in a different country. Seems like it was practically shot like a soap opera, with them shooting an episode and it airing a few days later. It certainly isn't how we shoot TV today, where we're at least 4 episodes ahead of what is actually airing. Two bits I found interesting was Hartnell's breakdown at the end in his house where he says "I don't want to go", as that was obviously a nod to how the 10th Doctor went out during regeneration, and of course the little surprise appearance by the 11th. It was like a docu-drama that started winking at itself!

With that, I am once again caught up on all things 50th Anniversary related. Nine months ago, I hadn't seen a single episode of Dr Who ever. I binge watched the entirety of 2005 - present in the span of month last April. Good stuff indeed!

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Just watched "An Adventure in Space and Time" last night. As I know so little about the BBC, it was interesting seeing how TV was run both back then and in a different country. Seems like it was practically shot like a soap opera, with them shooting an episode and it airing a few days later. It certainly isn't how we shoot TV today, where we're at least 4 episodes ahead of what is actually airing. Two bits I found interesting was Hartnell's breakdown at the end in his house where he says "I don't want to go", as that was obviously a nod to how the 10th Doctor went out during regeneration, and of course the little surprise appearance by the 11th. It was like a docu-drama that started winking at itself!

With that, I am once again caught up on all things 50th Anniversary related. Nine months ago, I hadn't seen a single episode of Dr Who ever. I binge watched the entirety of 2005 - present in the span of month last April. Good stuff indeed!

In the 60’s and 70’s Chris, many a BBC director, producer cut their teeth with Dr Who. Script editors too with the likes of Robert Holmes and Douglas Adams.

It was seen at that time as pioneering new ways to produce long running serials from an innovation standpoint and as value for money.

Sometimes things were cut close from final edit to transmission but there was method in the madness so to speak.

In the UK we have Lovefilm. I still get DVD's through the post. Many are Dr Who. I have The Curse of Peledon now. Watching these with text commentaries created by fans ensuring they're factually correct, bring a new shine on the old classics.

I wonder if they're available in the US somehow rather than through Netflix or whatever....

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.