Share your first impressions!

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Very nice impressions everyone :)

I'm really having a hard time warming up to this table. I want a new table, I really do, but this just isn't clicking with me. mmmagnetic, what am I missing?

Nothing, probably! I really disliked Monster Bash at first, but then started kinda liking it. HATED Ripleys at first, now I really enjoy it. I loved Whirlwind but now I feel I have seen everything it has to offer, and it´s only about pulling each shot off... I thought PinBot was dull and boring, but one it suddenly hooked me. MM is a very fun table, but I just don´t find it interesting in the long run. And who knows, all of the above might be very different in a few weeks!

The nice thing about having a collection like TPA is that it´s very nice to concentrate on one or two tables at a time, and move on when you´re bored, while still being technically in the same game (I don´t really consider TPA "a" game, but every single table within it a separate game, just like it would be in real life if you had all the actual machines).

And this is something I keep thinking about: How vastly different pinball machines feel and play from each other. The combination playfield + ruleset + theme + the technical era the machine has been produced really has resulted in a ton of extremely refined, yet very unique machines.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Though trapping on this one is so easy that I could believe it's unrealistically easy: does anyone who knows the real table have an opinion?

PAPA Tutorial video

Well, it certainly looks relatively similar, though I´m usually quite bad at noticing things like this in a video... But I´d say the rubbers don´t look very bouncy in that video either, and I assume that the machines at PAPA are kept in a very fresh state.

Given that I have almost zero real-life pinball experience - flippers can have different strenghts of rubbers, right? Maybe the machine was designed around less bouncy flippers? In any case, it does feel "right" to me, at least I find it fun to play (concentrating more on aiming and timing my shots, less wrestling with insanely strong slingshots and bouncy flippers).

I hope they don´t mess with the fintuning too much - CV went from really fun to absolutely aggravating to me after the outlane post update, even if it is more realistic now. I kinda hope we will get some difficutly selection in the future where things like these (playfield pitch, post rubbers etc) can be selected.

Then again, Ripleys has become from my least favourite to my favourite table due to all the modestacking and strategizing and CftBL looks to be similar.

You used to have the ToTAN avatar, right? I noticed how much I remember users by their avatar and not their names ;) In my head we have a forum with Jimi Hendrix chatting with a floating green face, a stuffed animal dinosaur, Squidward and Darth Vader with a Guinness, along with various pinball parts having conversations.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Is it just me, or have the graphic artists added just a little bit of environmental lighting on certain parts of the playfield on CFTBL (for mobile device play such as Android).

Look at the Snack Bar scoop and the way the light is cast from the Dome Flasher. That is different to any other title on TPA. In general the lighting looks like it has been "enhanced" compared to other tables.

I got a sense of this while playing on my TF300T Android Tablet.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Is it ok to share my second impression? Being that I've never played this table ever before, I was totally unfamiliar with the actual physical makeup of the machine. So looking at it in video game form was really confusing. Is that a ramp or a chute? Oh, that's a scoop, not a target. Wait, where'd the ball go? And so on... So my first impression was that of me hitting the ball into an upper half full of junk and just hoping I'm hitting targets that do something. I might as well have been playing a horizontal pachinko.

Well, I just came back from the Californai Extreme game show where they had at least three of these guys. So of course I had to play 'em. Ohhhh, the right shot isn't an orbit, it drops the ball into a launcher that shoots it up a wire tube. Got it. Ah, the KISS ramp just goes up a coupla inches, turns right and stops. Okay. Being able to actually see this stuff totally helped me finally understand what the heck was going on, and therefore has increased my enjoyment of the TPA version.

Funny, on all the previous tables, it was the TPA versions that helped me like the real life counterparts more. This one went the other way.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Excellent write up mmmagnetic!

I too just came back from the California Extreme. I think there were actually more than just three CFTBL there too, which is why I got to spend so much time with it this weekend. I've always enjoyed Creature from the handful of times that I had played it previously, but playing it there and then on the ipad back at the hotel has made me love this table all over again. Sure it is a bit cluttered in the back right of the table layout, but once you figure out how everything flows, it's a super fast game. And I really enjoy the challenge of seeing how many successive ramp shots I can rack up in Unlimited Millions mode. Additionally I think the cheesy music fits the theme perfectly- not that I could hear it at all on the Cal-extreme game floor. Now I just hope my ears would quit ringing (but at least when I close my eyes, I can still see pinball)...

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You used to have the ToTAN avatar, right? I noticed how much I remember users by their avatar and not their names ;) In my head we have a forum with Jimi Hendrix chatting with a floating green face, a stuffed animal dinosaur, Squidward and Darth Vader with a Guinness, along with various pinball parts having conversations.

Yup, but the totan backglass isnt particular pretty or recognizable in thumbnail format...so I went with the shrunken head (although in hindsight the genie couldve been a good substitution as well). TotAN and RBioN share the top 1 spot in the corepack for me:)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
second impression

Yeah, the table has a very unusual layout at first. It took me a long time to even notice the four snackbar targets (I usually never go into the instructions before playing it for a good while, I love discovering the table on my own), given that it is one of the more visually busy tables around.

And I agree, I was watching some videos of Creature before it came out, and I realized I had no idea how the machine is actually built - in the PAPA video, a lot of the playfield is covered up by those huge ramps, the snackbar isn´t exactly visually dominant given how important it is.

And man, that snackbar scoop is evil! MUCH harder to hit than the mirror in Funhouse or the cellar in Whirlwind. One the one hand, it is put at a slight angle that suggests an easier hit from the right flipper, but if you hit just a bit too far to the left it ricochets down the center, so hitting from the left is safer, but still quite risky.

Oh, and the "boom" sound when you hit the left ramp during unlimited millions reminds me of the loop sound on Bride, and I can´t shake the feeling that something on the table makes another ramp sound from that table - maybe during ramp entry? It´s quite subtle.

And I think the Yamaha MIDI renditions of the tunes plus the very low bitrate voices work so well on this table because it already has a quite trashy B-Movie feeling to it ;)

And man, the multiball is so great. It isn´t just "okay, now we will shower you with balls, half of which you´re instantly going to lose, but that´s fine, we have the ball save on until you completely lose track and end up with NONE", but having only two without any ball save and a dangerous restart (I can´t tell you how many times I messed up the restart and instead ended my ball) plus the great movie concept works really well in my opinion. A great little tip I picked up from the PAPA video: Plunge the ball soft so that it stays up in the bumper zone while you can concentrate on doing the "search" shot with the second ball. Unlike in, say, Monster Bash, managing the two balls makes me much more nervous, and there isn´t a lot of juggling involved either - just getting one ball out of the way while using the short period to shot for either of the three risky shots, all of which have to be hit exactly or else the ball just is hopelessly out of control, especially when the second ball comes back from it´s litte journey ;)

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yup, but the totan backglass isnt particular pretty or recognizable in thumbnail format...so I went with the shrunken head (although in hindsight the genie couldve been a good substitution as well). TotAN and RBioN share the top 1 spot in the corepack for me:)

Totally agree! I mean, it´s only four tables anyways, but RBioN and TotAN just feel very juicy and fun. ToM feels too overwhelming to me, it has even more "big drain gimmick" shots than MM; on TotAN I can actually get to the big fight quite easily (thanks to "Make a wish"), and spinning the lamp like crazy plus the brilliant sitar bonus countdown is one of the most satisfying audiovisual elements in pinball - and I also adore the little "ding!"-lightshow from right to left just after the bonus countdown has ended. I also love the announcer lady - just like ToM and CV, all JPop tables so far have had very nice voices. "Hahaha, I LOVE the lightning!"

And RBioN just has brilliant sound design as well. The ridiculous Big Foot screams, the "whoooa!" and "AAAAH!" when you lose your ball, the wild cackle of the penguins, the annoying idol, the boombing thunder claps... pavlovian game design at its finest :D I mean, a rollerskating penguin? You´ve got to admit, that IS pretty amazing.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I mostly like both for the challenge. TOM is very fun but the fact the illusions are meaningless in the grand scheme of things (as in you only have to start them, not actually clear them) makes me knock a few points off the total. Sure TOtaN's gems are easy to finish, especially with a wish or ruby or 2, but TOtaN has the lamp to nix things up in the strategy. RBioN is just great to combine modes and setting them up for great combo's, especially with the slotmachine.

Anywasy, back to topic, can't wait or CotBL to come to consoles.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yes, I´ve made my peace with the long wait times on the 360. I love the iPad version for portability, portrait mode and just pure pixel density madness, and the console versions for precise controls and atmospheric lighting. I´m sure the way the ramps light up will look beautiful on the consoles - on the iPad it looks rather dull ;)

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
And man, that snackbar scoop is evil! MUCH harder to hit than the mirror in Funhouse or the cellar in Whirlwind. One the one hand, it is put at a slight angle that suggests an easier hit from the right flipper, but if you hit just a bit too far to the left it ricochets down the center, so hitting from the left is safer, but still quite risky.

I get into the Murphy's Law situation in which it seems I can only hit the thing when it's not activated.

And man, the multiball is so great. It isn´t just "okay, now we will shower you with balls, half of which you´re instantly going to lose, but that´s fine, we have the ball save on until you completely lose track and end up with NONE", but having only two without any ball save and a dangerous restart (I can´t tell you how many times I messed up the restart and instead ended my ball) plus the great movie concept works really well in my opinion.

It's certainly one to play carefully. Two-ball multiballs seem to generally be for players with finesse and nerves of steel.

SoonPoker

Jul 19, 2012
Very very great table, but not played many hours yet to have a perfect view on it.

And clearly another wonderfull job by FS !

Like Mmmagnetic, I realy love the "story" during the multiball : Find the hidden monster in 3 différent locations, rescue the girl, then get the jackpot (I've not go far away in this story yet ...). Realy nice !

Actually, each shoot on the scoop realy scared me, by the left or right hand ... Lots of STDM with this missed shoot ... Not easy ! A little bit annoying actually ... I clearly need more training on this ...

Only one thing bored me on this table for the moment : When multiball starts, my first objective is to get control of the two balls on each flip. After that, I start to grow the everything's multiplier with the right flip. But I find it takes a (too) long time on a quite easy shoot on the left ramp to reach the maxed multiplier ... But hey nothing dramatic !

NB : I do my best to write with the most "perfect" english I can ... But I know it's not as perfect as yours. I hope it's still understandable. If it's not, tell me !

Last edited:
R

Rhandos

First impressions/thoughts:

- This table has toppled CV and MM from their top spots. Playing it 90% of the time I'm in the game and I'm loving it!
- The hologram looks amazing.
- I have managed to activate every mode BUT video mode now which makes me sad. Must try harder…
- The lightning engine seems to be improved, not only on Creature but on all tables. They all look less flat and more glossy. I like it.
- I played the table on headphones last night and the incredibly loud car horns when extra ball lights up scared the CRAP out of me…
- Unlocked all standard in the first few hours of play and I'm not even a good pinball player. The table is extremely easy, that doesn't make it boring however.

Extrema22

Feb 25, 2012
Since TPA started out I have been waiting for this table, it's fantastic!! It's pretty much the only machine I have been fortunate enough to spend some serious time on several years ago and I quickly fell in love with it. To have it in my pocket at all times now is something I never would have thought would happen! I love the drive-in theme and especially that each ball gives you different music. I also didn't expect the hologram to look this good, great job guys :D

night

May 18, 2012
After playing it for some time now this is a very nice table, lots of options, great animations and never a boring moment. I play it in portait mode, this gives me the best overal view of the table and it's graphics, because there is a lot going on there! Funhouse and Creature are now my most fav. I don't care much for Black Night, like Gorgar these older type of tables are not for me.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I'm starting to get the hang of the multiball. Between the relatively easy trapping and passing, the need to play through multiball without losing a ball, and the fact that multiball has its own internal "plot", this is really one for developing your ball-control skills. It may not be the deepest table, but I think it's one of the most fun.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
NB : I do my best to write with the most "perfect" english I can ... But I know it's not as perfect as yours. I hope it's still understandable. If it's not, tell me !

Don't worry, it's just fine :)

Bugs aside, this may be my 2nd favoriate table (after Monster Bash)

Man, that creature avatar looks sweet, makes me jealous :D

Oh, and one thing - isn't there supposed to be "Rock Around The Clock" in there somewhere? It plays during the PAPA video, but I only seem to get the same two songs (one of them sounding a bit like "I want candy").

Last edited:

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
I haven't been able to put this one down since its come out. Getting the super jackpot is consuming me. I've gotten it a few times but never twice on the same multiball. The whole build up to the multiball is great, the ability to do cradle separations like you would in real life has blown me away. It really does seem like Farsight is getting closer and closer to real life physics.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
This table is very unforgiving, which is both good and bad depending on your view and skill level. Just a little while ago I finally had a real good multiball, rescued the girl but nerfed on scoring the jackpot.

One wrong shot and that ball goes right down the middle. Almost as frustrating as Pinbot, which is a very different table entirely. I do really like the theme and sound of the table though, I'd love to find a place with the actual table; Silverball doesn't have this.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.