Share your first impressions!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Though trapping on this one is so easy that I could believe it's unrealistically easy: does anyone who knows the real table have an opinion?
CP Pinball here in St Louis actually has two CFTBLs. One is in very nice condition, and the other is in fairly decent shape (I think its previous owner did not treat it very well). Both will not allow traps merely from holding the flipper up unless the ball is traveling unusually slowly for some reason.

I think FarSight got the right amount of bounciness and general ball "wildness" in Monster Bash. CFTBL feels just a tad too lifeless. (But just a tad, FarSight...no fair overcorrecting like what happened with CV's outlanes!)

SoonPoker

Jul 19, 2012
CFTBL feels just a tad too lifeless. (But just a tad, FarSight...no fair overcorrecting like what happened with CV's outlanes!)

Same feeling for me about shooting the left ramp during multiball : on PAPA's tutorial, it's seems to require a "very hard full power shot" to go to the whirlpool.

But I never play it for real, my judgment is only based on the video.

@Serenseven : On the real table, do you have the same feeling with the left ramp for whirlpool shot ?

Don't worry, it's just fine :)

Yeah, that's nice, thanks ! :rolleyes:

Oh, and one thing - isn't there supposed to be "Rock Around The Clock" in there somewhere? It plays during the PAPA video, but I only seem to get the same two songs (one of them sounding a bit like "I want candy").

Ho, good question ! I saw the PAPA's video so many times that I can't remember if this song is in the TPA game or only in the video ! I will have a look during the next games ! Hope it's in the game, wonderfull song ...

Tokyo Rose

Jul 13, 2012
Don't worry, it's just fine :)

Man, that creature avatar looks sweet, makes me jealous :D

Oh, and one thing - isn't there supposed to be "Rock Around The Clock" in there somewhere? It plays during the PAPA video, but I only seem to get the same two songs (one of them sounding a bit like "I want candy").

^ Agreed mmmagnetic. I was looking forward to a little variation in music as well considering the '50s drive-in theme. However , for the vast majority of play is the jaunty little folk tune 'Red River Valley' (I think ), which is ...ok ... but I expected that they wanted an early days of Rock and roll feel ( the license plate says 1959 after all ) and that tune is usually more associated with Westerns or cowboy themes. Perhaps that will appear in some stage , but I have yet to hear it . Hoping to hear a little variety as the Creature movie theme seems the only break from it so far.

Other than that , loving the game , especially as it seems to one of the few tables unaffected by serious bugs right now .:)

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm getting the same here. Red River Rock plays pretty much all the time and sometimes I'll hear Jive Time. Anyone else experiencing this? If you watch the PAPA tutorial there's a lot more variation in the tunes. Did Farsight get the rights to all the songs from CFTBL?

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
I get the same couple of tunes every time. Bummer. I'd love to hear the rest of them.

For me: At first, I hated this table- I thought it was a bit of a stretch to play this elaborate table on a small iphone screen. Went to play BK for a while. I came back to this one eventually, finally got multiball, and then started to realize how neat this table was.

Are there more creature hologram animations?- I haven't scored very high yet and only see the one.

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The persistence of "Red River Valley" sounds like some kind of machine-state-management thing: it sounds from old literature as if, to get the other songs, the machine may have to be continuously running for days.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
PAPA Tutorial video

You used to have the ToTAN avatar, right? I noticed how much I remember users by their avatar and not their names ;) In my head we have a forum with Jimi Hendrix chatting with a floating green face, a stuffed animal dinosaur, Squidward and Darth Vader with a Guinness, along with various pinball parts having conversations.

Am I the floating green face?

But on topic.

Not only has this become my mostly played table, but this is the first table on mobile that's made me not feel like i'm playing on mobile. I find it very fun and playable and it feels nice.

I like how the goals require you to make shots around the table, though the right ramp feels forgotten a bit, leading to the fact that I've not played video mode. Multiball is slow and calculated.

One of my very first Visual Pinball tables was Scapino's CFTBL and this table is one I've been waiting for for a long time.

I'm just starting to get this table and starting to score well on it for the first time (400M or so).

The rest of the tables have largely become ignored. This is the first time that TPA on iOS has gotten more play than on my 360.

I read on another thread that Farsight couldn't get the licenses for 2 of the songs.

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Im loving CFTBL. I remember wasting many quarters on this one back in the mid 90's and when I got to play it again yesterday it brought back many cool memories. I'm having a blast. Thank you FarSight!!!!!!

PS-Universal Monsters rock!!!

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Does the PS3 version have the super-easy ball trapping, or is it the patched version where you can't trap a ball just by holding a flipper when it comes down the inlane?

(I recently played a real one of these for the first time, and it's pretty challenging! I think the simulated flipper rubbers are still just a little bit deader than on the real table; it's the opposite of Medieval Madness, where they're much bouncier in TPA. Of course, there's probably a lot of variation in real-life tables, depending on the state of the flippers.)

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Does the PS3 version have the super-easy ball trapping, or is it the patched version where you can't trap a ball just by holding a flipper when it comes down the inlane?

(I recently played a real one of these for the first time, and it's pretty challenging! I think the simulated flipper rubbers are still just a little bit deader than on the real table; it's the opposite of Medieval Madness, where they're much bouncier in TPA. Of course, there's probably a lot of variation in real-life tables, depending on the state of the flippers.)

I played a CFTBL table at castles and coasters in AZ recently. I got frustrated when the balls were around the middle of the table where the holographic image is displayed the balls consistently went straight down the middle. As it is the PS3 seems very easy to trap the ball. I've played this table a couple of times and I already got 1.4b. I spammed the left ramp and shot up the middle orbit. once muliball starts it's kind of easy to spam that right left again etc. As it is the physics are nothing like the real table.

I find this table pretty easy compared to something like Monster Bash or rilpey's. It's fun but I really wish they tweak the ball physics. Most tables are way too floaty compared to a real table.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
I played a CFTBL table at castles and coasters in AZ recently. I got frustrated when the balls were around the middle of the table where the holographic image is displayed the balls consistently went straight down the middle.

I HATE CFTBL in real life for this reason. The holographic region is sunk down ever so slightly below the rest of the playfield and the tiny lip ends up catching the ball and bringing it SDTM. I can never post transfer for this reason, and if you try to catch the ball as it comes down the right lane, it will often bounce only to be caught by the same tiny lip and redirected to the middle. That said, I LOVE CFTBL on TPA, I have not noticed this problem at all. I have played probably 3 or 4 different machines in real life and had the same experience every time.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So currently, I have no love for this table. As in, this is not FarSight's problem, but the designers of the actual table. Here's what bugs me...

---I hate how low-fi the music is. Straight up Casio, and it blows.
---All the audio clips sound as if they were 5th generation copies of an AM cassette recording. I know the thing takes place in a drive-in, but does it really need to sound like everything is coming out of the squawk box?
---Table is so dominated by the right flipper. The main challenge seems to be how you get the ball to the left flipper! I just think it a mistake to have the Snack Bar and Kiss ramp eject the ball on the right side of the table. For as many complaints as people had about BoP, this to me seems almost worse.
---I don't find it one bit funny. All the 'jokes' just fall flat for me. Simply compare 'Move Your Car' and it's animations to 'Catapult Slam' in MM and tell me which one works a million times better. (that'd be MM!)
---I wanna say I find the table easy, but I also realize I haven't really gotten deep into the multiball modes. Still, I feel like I've seen most everything in one day's worth of play, and its just a wash and repeat table.

Anyways, those are my first impressions. I'm not that fond of Black Knight either, so this whole dlc pack has me just looking forward to the next with eagerness, cause I'll be lucky to still be interested in these 2 tables a week from now.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I agree with everything that Mr. shutyertrap has stated. The table is too bland and quite easy.

However, scoring a 3+ billion Super Jackpot was a little satisfactory.

I could have easily skipped this round of DLC.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm loving CFTBL. It's more my style than MB. I'll take low fi midi Rock Around The Clock over MB's tunes any day. I also think FarSight did a great job with art and lighting too. No doubt that it's easier than the real thing but that's with all the tables.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Yes, FarSight did fine.
The table design is bad.
Bally is to blame.

(I did have a somewhat high expectation for this one due to nostalgia and some experience on the real deal)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.