Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I'm new to TotM, and really looking forward to participating on Saturday! :D

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that has been addressed before, but I didn't see it answered in the FAQ. On Saturday, are we allowed warm-up games before we play our official entries?
Ideally, I would give myself an arbitrary number of warm-up plays, then play for real. Example: 3 warm-up games of El Dorado, then 2 official games of El Dorado. 3 warm-up games of Diner, then 2 official games of Diner. Etc. Etc. **Absolutely no deciding in the middle of an official game that it is another warm-up.**

I definitely want to stick within the guidelines and not cheat, which is why I am seeking clarification. Are we allowed to warm-up the day of the tournament? Are we allowed to warm-up between tournament games (as to adjust to each table's distinctive style)?
SYT will answer this question I assume. The tournament is based on everyone honoring the rules. To me, since I'm playing on an iPad (like you?), I don't warm up. Any game after the tournament has started counts - crash and burn - you have 2 credits :) If there was an option to stream/record I guess one warm-up round could be OK, with the pressure of someone watching and it's very visible declaring that a game counts or not.

I'm looking forward to some streams on Saturday! :) Switch3tv and pbw - when are you playing? Anyone else streaming their games?

And welcome to the totw/totm! I guarantee you'll enjoy it :)

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
You can play as much of any game as you like as long as you decide when the tournament starts for you. Then play the game. As long as you decide to yourself, this is one of my 2 games at this table that count to the tournament before you play it, you can work it how you want.

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
Ideally, I would give myself an arbitrary number of warm-up plays, then play for real. Example: 3 warm-up games of El Dorado, then 2 official games of El Dorado. 3 warm-up games of Diner, then 2 official games of Diner. Etc. Etc. **Absolutely no deciding in the middle of an official game that it is another warm-up.**

I think that you probably have the best way to do it right there.

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
The problem is that sometimes the warm up games are your best scores. But that's the way it goes. You have to stick with the scores from the games you deem to be the tournament games.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I definitely want to stick within the guidelines and not cheat, which is why I am seeking clarification. Are we allowed to warm-up the day of the tournament? Are we allowed to warm-up between tournament games (as to adjust to each table's distinctive style)?

First off, welcome to the tournament! You're gonna have a blast.

Now then, there is no hard set rule about warming up other than that once you decide you are playing, you are playing. I tend to warm up on all 4 tables for as much as I deem needed, and then sit down and commit to the tourney. That means I play 2 games of one table, then slide to the next, until I am finished. The urge to cheat is too great otherwise! I do know some people who do one play through of all 4, then do a second round with no practice in the middle.

When I go to my league tourneys, we get 2 hours to play whatever machines as many times as we'd like. Thing is, we don't know which tables we'll actually be assigned. Once the tourney starts, you can only play when in match. So that's the spirit I want carried through to here. Cool? Cool.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm looking forward to some streams on Saturday! :) Switch3tv and pbw - when are you playing? Anyone else streaming their games?

I might try streaming mine. If I do, it get's announced on twitter via @BlahCade as soon as I log in.

lazmama

Feb 21, 2012
Now then, there is no hard set rule about warming up other than that once you decide you are playing, you are playing. I tend to warm up on all 4 tables for as much as I deem needed, and then sit down and commit to the tourney. That means I play 2 games of one table, then slide to the next, until I am finished. The urge to cheat is too great otherwise! I do know some people who do one play through of all 4, then do a second round with no practice in the middle.

When I go to my league tourneys, we get 2 hours to play whatever machines as many times as we'd like. Thing is, we don't know which tables we'll actually be assigned. Once the tourney starts, you can only play when in match. So that's the spirit I want carried through to here. Cool? Cool.

As a competitive player IRL, I am happy to comply with that spirit. I will practice until warm, then compete and hope for the best. Thanks for taking the time to answer my query, and thanks for organizing! I wish I had noticed when you started up in February. This will be so much fun! :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I wish I had noticed when you started up in February. This will be so much fun! :)

Can I ask how it finally came to your attention? Would help me in figuring out how to get more people.

Also, season 2 will start in August, so fresh starts for everyone then!

lazmama

Feb 21, 2012
Can I ask how it finally came to your attention? Would help me in figuring out how to get more people.

Sadly, I don't think it will help you very much...
Long story short, I had taken a break from TPA for lots of reasons: Xbox 360 support was lost. I got by playing on my phone for awhile. But then I moved to an area with more pins on location, monthly tournaments, etc. and lost interest in video pinball to a large extent. When I heard Farsight was back on 360, I had a renewed interest. And then I heard about the new physics on Xenon, I became even more interested. Recently acquired a shiny new iPad. Came back to the forum, found the tournament sub-forum, here I am. A long-time Farsight fan coming back to play.

TPA is great for cross training. It's cheap, convenient, and allows me to dig deep into many rule sets. It strengthens my game in multiple ways. Glad to have it in my toolkit.

Wish my response was of more use to you. I don't know if you have a way to get the word out to competitive pinball players, and not just TPA fans... I just don't know how much interest there is out there in the greater pinball community.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That actually tells me a lot. That the info was easy to find despite not having been on the forum in a while, that it seemed appealing, even to someone that is more of a real world player.

Considering we advertise via podcast, Twitter, Steam postings, it's helpful to know what is being effective.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013

Cool that you're looking forward to watching streams, I will be streaming! I'll be working nights next weekend but the internet is in a closed network at work but I'll try two days before to see if I can hook up my router to it. If it doesnt work I'll be streaming during the day in our timezone, which would be during early morning in US. If internet works I will probably start in the evening, which would be about late efternoon in US. I'll give a heads up in the tourney thread when I know. The games are saved on the twitch server for a couple of days so it'll be there as soon as I start playing but it's not the same as live of course :)

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I'm new to TotM, and really looking forward to participating on Saturday! :D

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that has been addressed before, but I didn't see it answered in the FAQ. On Saturday, are we allowed warm-up games before we play our official entries?

I usually warm up a little but I actually don't warm up on the tables that are in tourney. I like to warm up and play around a little on Dracula just because I like it and it's fast and hard. I don't go for any score just get some timing going. 3 games of warm up on actual table would be far too much for me, I think it's hard enough maintaining focus throughout the actual games. I also stream and like Gus said, it makes it pretty clear to know what my actual tourney game is. First I start a"practice" game and tilt away the first ball right away just to make it clear it's not the real game, then set up cam on second ball and then just feel the flippers and whatever. I just feel boring and stupid pretty fast so I start the real game. And usually my pulse goes up and I can't hit anything anyway and the initial mandatory post hits don't calm me down ha ha. But that's what makes it so much fun.

And if you didn't know, there's always a bunch of us hangin' out in the IRC freenode chat room (#pinballarcadefans) and for me it's half of the fun. it's great to talk between games or even during games, so come join and don't miss out on that awesome part of the tourney!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I always warm up on each table in turn before playing it. It's important to get the flipper feel locked in, since that can differ a lot between tables particularly from different seasons. I aim to hit each shot a couple times to refresh my sense of the angles and timing. Also miss each shot a couple times to remind myself what rebounds yield safe railroads and which are dangerous. Also practice post passes and cradle separations, which can behave enormously differently on different flippers and tables. I do about 10-15 minutes of warmup this way on each table before starting its tournament games for real.

Sometimes I play two games straight, sometimes I play one game and stop on that score, sometimes I come back later for a second game, that all varies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, it all varies what people choose to do. It's also impossible to police other than having everyone stream their games which would effectively kill the tournament at this early stage. I could always include instructions for season 2 of a standard warmup rule, but only if I hear an outcry for it. I don't want to bog things down and take away fun, and more unenforceable rules seems like a recipe for that.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Once the tournament was open for scoring, I haven't done any warm-ups on the tournament tables. I played them straight through. I will change it this time, since it seems to be generally accepted to do so.

And I need a big sticker on my screen for El Dorado: BE PATIENT AND DISCPLINED. More than any other table my games are ruined just because I don't make a controlled shot.

lazmama

Feb 21, 2012
That actually tells me a lot. That the info was easy to find despite not having been on the forum in a while, that it seemed appealing, even to someone that is more of a real world player.
Glad to be of help! :) Actually, I think what was key to getting my attention was the fact that you have an article about June Sign-ups on the front page of the website. That's excellent visibility, in addition to having a sub-forum.

Thanks to everyone sharing their warm-up methods! vikingerik, your method seems optimal to me, but shutyertrap's method seems closer to what is allowed in real-life competitions. So I'm a bit torn, lol. But, I don't know that it'll really make that big a difference, either way. Consistency is most important, and that comes with practice during the week/month, not so much how I choose to warm-up.

invitro

May 4, 2012
My 1st round of practice games:
ElDor 720,510
Diner 6,922,140
HD3E 302M
RBIoN 39,027,290

I hope to improve a lot on ElDor, Diner, and RBIoN.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I'm gonna beat you this time invitro, unless I get too drunk (always blame the alcohol - works in court) :p

invitro

May 4, 2012
But then I moved to an area with more pins on location, monthly tournaments, etc.
Wish my response was of more use to you. I don't know if you have a way to get the word out to competitive pinball players, and not just TPA fans... I just don't know how much interest there is out there in the greater pinball community.

I am curious what place in NC has tournaments, if you want to say. I have been to the weekly (mini-)tournament at the Asheville museum once. I co-started the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill league in the 1990s which is also why I'm interested.

When I had tons of real pinball near me, I shunned video pinball. But that was a long time before Farsight/TPA, and I'd probably be into both now.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'm gonna beat you this time invitro, unless I get too drunk (always blame the alcohol - works in court) :p
Maybe you will! I think I am poorer on this batch of tables by far, than any other batch. And I may decide I need to play Road Show all day tomorrow.

I used to play a little better, or think I played a little better, on 1 or 2 drinks. But any more than that destroys my pinball abilities, usually... I infinited a High Speed while totally smashed and crashed at a guy's house after one local tourney in the 1990s. Now, amphetamine in therapeutic doses really helps my pinball skills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.