South Park Pinball

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I agree. I actually feel this is their best pack to date.

I still can't understand how they are able to offer two high profile tables based on a current TV show with authentic voices and offer both tables for $2.50 each (for console) and $1.99 each for mobile. While Farsight has to Kickstart and then charge $5 for a single table, and more for features which are included for free with Zen.
This isn't a dig at the good people at Farsight either. I just don't know how Zen is pulling it off and making a profit. For $4.99 I received the PS3, PS4, and Vita versions. Six tables!

It looks gorgeous on the PS4. 60fps/1080p/and a 3D option. It also looks equally as amazing on the PS3. The cardboard style looks photo realistic and the real voices are a treat. There are so many South Park references crammed into it, with many of them from the first couple of seasons (the best!)

It even looks fantastic on the Kindle Fire HD. It's currently on sale there for $1.99 (or 199 coins) and you get 60 coins when buying it.
For some reason I ended up getting 185 coins back, after paying 199 coins making it only 14 Cents!? :p

I like these new SP tables-even if toned down for ratings purposes. The reason they can charge this price is because they are creating their own table simulations from scratch. FarSight is making simulations of actual real-world tables, complete with ROM emulation. What gets me is how Zen can release on so many platforms at the same time while FarSight can only release on some platforms while others go months without DLC, assuming they even do get it. Did this Microsoft-exclusive deal not apply to Zen?

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
The reason they can charge this price is because they are creating their own table simulations from scratch. FarSight is making simulations of actual real-world tables, complete with ROM emulation.
That's not the reason. From what I'm gathering, many of the licenses (Marvel, South Park, Star Wars) are in the 6-7 figure digits. One of the Zen reps have even stated, that the figures are "so large that they would make us puke" if we seen them.

The biggest thing for Zen is the number of sales. Chatting with a buddy of mine who is now one of the directors of marketing for Playstation. Zen Pinball 2 sells far more than TPA on PSN. I don't know the exact numbers, but he was telling me that Zen has manage to get a really good chunk of the casual market. I even lost track at how many posts that I've read on the Zen Studios forums who said, "I'm new at pinball and I need some tips".

What gets me is how Zen can release on so many platforms at the same time while FarSight can only release on some platforms while others go months without DLC, assuming they even do get it. Did this Microsoft-exclusive deal not apply to Zen?
Money talks and when a game has been the top selling title on Xbox Live Arcade for the Xbox 360 for several months straight. Even Mircosoft is willing to make an exception to the parity clause.

The same goes to the other platform makers (Sony, Apple, Google, Valve). It's pretty easy to work with them, when you are making new content on well known franchises (Marvel, The Walking Dead, South Park, Star Wars).

It also helps that Zen has kept a few tables (example, the Pinball FX 2 Core Pack) and the name (Pinball FX) exclusive to Microsoft platforms (Xbox/Windows).

MS is Zen's publisher for Pinball FX2.
Only the 360 version. They self published the Steam and Xbox One versions.

Last edited:

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
I dig Zen, i have all their tables.But i have alway viewed Zen as a diversion.TPA is for pinball purists.
Or Zen is a runaway McDonalds hamburger while TPA is a delicate steak for connoirseurs.I can easily see why Zen appeals more to the mainstream.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I also think when Zen releases a new table on iTunes it is always featured in Best New Games or found very easily on the front page of the app section. I have every Zen table for iOS and every Pinball Arcade table. I was happy to see Zen mention The Pinball Arcade kickstarter for The Addams Family! I think most pinball fans enjoy both companies work and I am blown away that I can enjoy digital pinball for such a low cost compared to a real pinball table.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I dig Zen, i have all their tables.But i have alway viewed Zen as a diversion.TPA is for pinball purists.
Or Zen is a runaway McDonalds hamburger while TPA is a delicate steak for connoirseurs.I can easily see why Zen appeals more to the mainstream.

Really?! Really??!! Zen is a McDonald's hamburger and TPA is steak for connoisseurs?

Zen regularly releases highly polished, high quality tables, on all platforms at once, has a highly dedicated and relatively large social media team that quickly addresses fan feedback, and questions, and provides more features for their tables without charging extra for them (ie. Pro modes).

If Zen is a McDonald's, supersize me.

If TPA is a steak house, it's the type that separates it's VIPs (iOS) from the rest of its clientele. If you're not a VIP you'd better grab something to eat before you head there because you will have to wait a long time for your meal. And expect to get charged extra for your baked potato (pro mode)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Really?! Really??!! Zen is a McDonald's hamburger and TPA is steak for connoisseurs?

Zen regularly releases highly polished, high quality tables, on all platforms at once, has a highly dedicated and relatively large social media team that quickly addresses fan feedback, and questions, and provides more features for their tables without charging extra for them (ie. Pro modes).

If Zen is a McDonald's, supersize me.

If TPA is a steak house, it's the type that separates it's VIPs (iOS) from the rest of its clientele. If you're not a VIP you'd better grab something to eat before you head there because you will have to wait a long time for your meal. And expect to get charged extra for your baked potato (pro mode)

Pretty sure he's talking about the actual gameplay in terms of simulation vs. arcade, not the companies' PR, release schedules, other features, etc.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Pretty sure he's talking about the actual gameplay in terms of simulation vs. arcade, not the companies' PR, release schedules, other features, etc.

Nothing in his original post suggests that. Even if that were the case a McDonalds vs Steak for connoisseurs comparison would be pretty far off base, unless of course said steak is only marginally better than a mcdouble

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nothing in his original post suggests that. Even if that were the case a McDonalds vs Steak for connoisseurs comparison would be pretty far off base, unless of course said steak is only marginally better than a mcdouble

Actually, the fact that he said TPA is for "pinball purists" seems to suggest pretty clearly that he's talking about the gameplay, and it's a valid opinion. Obviously your opinion is different, but it's still just an opinion, just as valid as his.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

I personally always think of TPA more like an 'olive garden' than a steak restaurant.

Not so much for connoisseurs either, I think FS are about to stick a drive thro window in soon too with the pay per play Ghost Busters app.
What a waste of resources.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

Changed my mind...
If Zen is McDonald's, then TPA is McTucky's Hut.
zame9y2y.jpg

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The biggest thing for Zen is the number of sales. Chatting with a buddy of mine who is now one of the directors of marketing for Playstation. Zen Pinball 2 sells far more than TPA on PSN. I don't know the exact numbers, but he was telling me that Zen has manage to get a really good chunk of the casual market. I even lost track at how many posts that I've read on the Zen Studios forums who said, "I'm new at pinball and I need some tips".

Zen is very, very good at marketing their product. They also have a slick interface for their game. FarSight has no one in charge of marketing their game, and it shows. Major video game websites talk about every Zen table update because Zen sends them information. FarSight's updates aren't mentioned on the major gaming sites, and rely on fringe sites to find out about a release and promote it. I identified their lack of marketing early on, which is why I started this forum for discussing the game. I've mentioned multiple times that FarSight should create standalone versions of their top-tier tables (Twilight Zone, ST:TNG, T2 and soon TAF) and put them on the iOS and Android app stores to help sales, but they've never created them. It shouldn't be rocket science to think that a stand-alone app for these licensed properties would capture fans of the properties much easier than in-app purchases would.

A good majority of this comes down to marketing; Zen has it, and FarSight doesn't.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Zen is very, very good at marketing their product. They also have a slick interface for their game. FarSight has no one in charge of marketing their game, and it shows. Major video game websites talk about every Zen table update because Zen sends them information. FarSight's updates aren't mentioned on the major gaming sites, and rely on fringe sites to find out about a release and promote it. I identified their lack of marketing early on, which is why I started this forum for discussing the game. I've mentioned multiple times that FarSight should create standalone versions of their top-tier tables (Twilight Zone, ST:TNG, T2 and soon TAF) and put them on the iOS and Android app stores to help sales, but they've never created them. It shouldn't be rocket science to think that a stand-alone app for these licensed properties would capture fans of the properties much easier than in-app purchases would.

A good majority of this comes down to marketing; Zen has it, and FarSight doesn't.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I'm no big fan of marketing, especially when they come up with bs like 3d hyper vitamite diamond pearls for a shampoo, but fs could definitely need some of it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Also video game marketing is just a wee bit different than standard product marketing. Zen definitely takes the cake in this area.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.