Star Trek the Next Generation

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
In the video it looked intermittent, maybe loose as what turning isnt fully tightened and it only getting partial movement to and fro. I seen it dosnt retun fully all the time, if its geard it could be slipping teeth. Or its sticky.

When I get my new parts I will check into that thanks for the observation.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Get a premium COINTAKER the lense throws light in all diections besides just up, and premiums are NON-GHOSTING $1.59 a pop.

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
Wiring Harness

I've done some work to my machine.
I added lasers and new cannon plastics.
I printed out new instructions for the apron on magnetic backed material.
I tore out and soldered the left cannon wiring harness and discovered it was as dry as twigs and needs replaced. I am awaiting arrival of the new set.
I replaced my failing red flipper rubber for some new black rubbers I had laying around.
Pictures and a video below.

8207953598_ca06759cab_c.jpg

8207971044_07ce3c2551_c.jpg

8207973338_9c13e2a67d_c.jpg

8206884177_da65845b0b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Good job! Its working and returning. The red domes look cool do they light up?

They should have a light under them, yes. I have the domes fitted on my ST:TNG and they look great. :)

I would love to see some footage of the lasers fitted and working. That's a mod I've considered but never pulled the trigger on.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
I would love to see some footage of the lasers fitted and working. That's a mod I've considered but never pulled the trigger on.

That sounded like such a great mod that I searched around and found this short clip. I'd never seen it before, either. I don't mean to insert myself into your thread when I don't own the machine myself, but I thought I'd share what I found.

http://www.mickspinball.com/images/videos_docs/cannons1.mov

I'm really enjoying your back and forth on reworking this table.

Thanks.

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
Good job! Its working and returning. The red domes look cool do they light up?

Thanks this is a lot of fun. I love tinkering.

They should have a light under them, yes. I have the domes fitted on my ST:TNG and they look great. :)

The lasers are definitely worth it they look spectacular. The new cannon plastics and laser combo came from PinballLife. They feel sturdier than the original although they look to be engineered to the same thickness. This must be a difference in plastics. The lasers were simple to install just route through the bottom and solder the leads to the motors and slip the lasers into the provided clips and you are done. Someone obviously took their time to figure out this thing. I recommend them highly. You can't screw up the install if you have any sense. I have a butane soldering iron I use all the time from radio shack it lets you get in the nitty gritty spots that you can't reach easily with the old fashioned soldering irons.

Here is a short video...

WxO6na37yxgfAQhLn6Jjz9JNXeTl30nPT-HDVfhNpzqMUZruF5basFDiwMr_nsTlLIDEhONz9tZYyPL4b-BQK3RJnwvno7ElCqFJNsDubUrbKnwzzCdn1-zaRVyqkDVmesXpHrHpaPi9cZqXPs7_PuCtJOxy_o5mOKXRDOzY  Jdexc361XyEag9tRe2aRd1I-veIWZybJduIbjUGuLhIuD-6sp0CbKNtceDm4D_PxE922MooWLtSxw8rsHR8Xawz0qlaOcCs0  7JJRD8kzatN7eAnh6p-Hszo0cftJdFy_e7dM2RkF1qt1jB3kiM1gKMNG1bE0gPPnqUstX  yfs8yvnaK7O=s220-c

That sounded like such a great mod that I searched around and found this short clip. I'd never seen it before, either. I don't mean to insert myself into your thread when I don't own the machine myself, but I thought I'd share what I found.

http://www.mickspinball.com/images/videos_docs/cannons1.mov

I'm really enjoying your back and forth on reworking this table.

Thanks.

I don't mind comments. Anyone that has anything to add feel free. Anything to do with STTNG or anything else is good for me.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Are the Enterprises lazers red?:) Looks cool but kinda cheating eh!? laser guided pinballs! need some dry ICE THAT would be AWSOME! The gas shouldn't hurt, or smoke but thats bad for electronics,but 1 time wonts hurt with an incense with the glass on:) I'll do it first but I dont have LASERS so it wont be as cool....YOU DARE ME!?

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
Are the Enterprises lazers red?:) Looks cool but kinda cheating eh!? laser guided pinballs! need some dry ICE THAT would be AWSOME! The gas shouldn't hurt, or smoke but thats bad for electronics,but 1 time wonts hurt with an incense with the glass on:) I'll do it first but I dont have LASERS so it wont be as cool....YOU DARE ME!?

LOL I wouldn't put any mist or humidity near the electronics that is solid state suicide : )
I did however order the Cointaker Super Complete Ultra STTNG kit with upgrades. I can't wait till they get here it should flesh the game out nicely. After that I may fiddle with the speakers since I have a couple 5-1/4" Rockford Fosgate speakers laying around from the late 90's. I haven't looked into it yet but it should work. I have noticed with this hobby it's like painting a picture you are never really done.

I think the enterprise lasers are in fact red.

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
My cannon shenanigans has come to an end. The new wiring harnesses arrived and I tore out the old ones and installed the new ones. In the process I bent one of the limit switches to the left cannon and had to spend 10 minutes goofing around with it till I realized what had happened. Disaster narrowly avoided. :rolleyes: I took a couple pictures and a dark laser video showing everything all cleaned up and functioning 100%. It should be a nice video to compare to after I install the LED kit. Total cost for malfunctioning cannon fix not including unnecessary frill parts... 40 USD.

8223128898_b2bac0cfcc_c.jpg

8223127404_74b83c4ffd_c.jpg

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Domes look sweet! and with LEDs will be brighter.:) The lazers are hard to see kinda, but its a mod and its appropriate therefore its COOL!

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
Get a flex 44 bulb for the ships it will put the LED right under the dome lense.

I don't know what styles they distribute in the package exactly it isn't listed. I figure with them being the experts they should know what works best in which position.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I orderd my own bulbs and it was cheaper than THE KIT. I dont like the cool or warm white lights so I orderd colors instead, just make a list of bulb type and count then figure out how many of each color. The problem with LEDs is the cast light straight even with lenses on them but a flex allows you to point the light were you want it and its longer than a regular bulb. You could point it right at the dome.

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
I orderd my own bulbs and it was cheaper than THE KIT. I dont like the cool or warm white lights so I orderd colors instead, just make a list of bulb type and count then figure out how many of each color. The problem with LEDs is the cast light straight even with lenses on them but a flex allows you to point the light were you want it and its longer than a regular bulb. You could point it right at the dome.

Well I bought this..

1. COMPLETE SUPER Star Trek Next Generation LED Kit

STNNG SUPER BRITE LED KIT

KIT USES OURNEW SUPER BRITE LED BULBS

INCLUDES: FLASHERS - BACKBOX GI - PLAYFIELD GI - AND INSERTS

and added this..

PREMIUM KIT UPGRADE

NON-GHOSTING PREMIUM 6.3VAC Non-Polarized. This will upgrade Super Complete or Insert/Controlled KIT to PREMIUM LEDs.

So we will see how it goes when they get here.
For everyone's memory bank... they shipped Monday and they haven't even made it out of PA yet LOL If you use Cointaker make sure you insist on UPS shipping instead of USPS snail mail it's absurdly slow.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I used snail mail took 3 days to get to Cali. and 4 days for the flexs that were wrong bulb type. Its the holidays though so pray your package doesn't get lost among the masses. How much for all that?

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
$280 list - discounts. You can use the "Bash" code and sometimes they have more than 20% with other codes such as "Toronto".

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts