Stern Pinball Arcade first impressions

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I'm glad Star Trek crashes randomly, if only in an indirect way, as it is probably the only reason I have taken the time to try and understand how to play AC/DC. These two games are so drastically different with regards to the intricacies of their rule sheets. At first I felt that AC/DC was too hectic, I still hate the gimmicky lower playfield, and the canon disrupts the flow too frequently. After Star Trek crashed on me and I read that others were also having similar issues, I began playing AC/DC instead. (in portrait mode so Mustang is out for now)

To me, AC/DC is similar to Twilight Zone in the complexity of the modes, but taken up a notch...or six. It is starting to grow on me, and while I fully understand exactly what I need to do for each mode when it begins, figuring out what my current status is at during any particular mode is the most vexing dilemma. I listen to music and usually have the TV on a game while I'm playing. While I can hear the game faintly, I'm mostly using visual clues to let me know what is going on in the game. I have a problem understanding what multiball mode(s) is/are about to start after I have gone fairly deep into the game, other than the audio that I can't hear all the time, depending on the external music I am listening to at that moment. I'm also not sure if I have completed the song modes to get the permanent bonus (6%) or not. If the game is letting me know somehow, I'm not able to figure it out.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
AC/DC is a game where hearing the music is essential, as it cues you in easily to the mode you're playing.

You always know which multiball(s) will start next because the corresponding light(s) will flash. Getting multiballs lit is actually quite easy - ramps for Jam, targets for Album, loops for Tour.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
AC/DC is a game where hearing the music is essential, as it cues you in easily to the mode you're playing.

You always know which multiball(s) will start next because the corresponding light(s) will flash. Getting multiballs lit is actually quite easy - ramps for Jam, targets for Album, loops for Tour.

The music helps, but it is not critical to mastering the game. I still hear it, just as background noise that I can block out if a good song is playing on my audio system. I think our top scores are about the same. I found that the song mode has a distinct color that I need to shoot for, and the multiball indicators flash after it begins, but not as it starts in the canon. I can still tell which multiball modes are active after I shoot the canon to begin them. I just noticed that multiball thing in the last game I played. The song mode color I identified earlier, which significantly helps me see what is happening from a visual perspective.

Don't get me wrong, a great pinball machine is as much about the sound as anything else, and I do typically score higher when focusing only on the table I'm playing without other audio distractions; however, I play a lot of video pinball, and my method of relaxation is to listen to music while I play.

My modus operandi is to play a pinball table until I am fully aware of all the sounds and lighting cues, then I can just listen to music with the sound way down to being barely audible, as I am familiar with all the sounds. AC/DC is the first music-themed table I've played, and it did require a bit more playtime to become more accustomed to the sound scheme.

I may have attempted to play AC/DC with the sound very low too prematurely, though it has bolstered my understanding of the various modes from a purely visual perspective.

Curious to know if KISS and Metallica tables are equally as complex.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
The latest table from Stern is Aerosmith, maybe we will get lucky and have that in the future in SPA? :)
Personally I am hoping for Metallica, but think that might be hoping too much :p

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
The latest table from Stern is Aerosmith, maybe we will get lucky and have that in the future in SPA? :)
Personally I am hoping for Metallica, but think that might be hoping too much :p
They've dropped a few hints for Metallica already, it was in a promotional image for SPA, and the artist who worked on the table artwork has a couple paintings hanging in the game's walls.

It's probably coming somewhere down the line this year. I hope.

Last edited:

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
Hello everyone, this is how AC/DC looks on iPhone 6+., (IOS 10.2,) its not properly centered and im missing something below the flippers, it seems like its zoomed in tomuch, does anyone have the same issue ?
2cb7d4bd36d6ac17855b21a47526f5e3.png

It looks okay on Ipad Air 2 though
591a62be2a2f8f6580120a95ed8e3414.jpg

Last edited:

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
I emailed Farsight about this and got a friendly brief answere
ae25e88da4bac941b0fa98f35b31eef0.jpg

Just hope they will address this soon cause its such a cool table

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I don't know if it's the game or my PC, it just keeps freezing and then crashing on me way too often.

And it was right during a really good run on Star Trek too, this makes me sad.

Last edited:

Oxy

Jul 16, 2013
Yep! Exactly the same for me, the DMD is tiny too.

The tiny DMD on iphone is driving me crazy. When playing on an iPad the DMD has the perfect size but on my iPhone its way too small. It's impossible to look at the DMD without completely taking your eyes off the table. What's the point of all the fancy animations and complex rules if I can't see the DMD?

Now that the high score bug has been fixed this is definitely the most important fix for me. Just make the DMD the same size as in TPA, shouldn't be too hard.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Both are Bowen Kerins playing over at PAPA headquarters and their YouTube channel. Recommended viewing for pinball fans for sure (you probably already know about it) :)

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks warh0g, the BK video is the one that finally allowed me to fully understand the table rules and all the mechanics involved. This was great because I like to play fast with few ball captures on any table I play, and I was looking for a formula that allows me to play the entire table and just, basically, go with the flow.

Though, I've been attempting to recreate the Star Trek crash bug so I can post the logs.

So far not having any luck getting ST to crash.

Good scoring, though just a fraction of my PS4 score:

uc

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks warh0g, the BK video is the one that finally allowed me to fully understand the table rules and all the mechanics involved. This was great because I like to play fast with few ball captures on any table I play, and I was looking for a formula that allows me to play the entire table and just, basically, go with the flow.

Though, I've been attempting to recreate the Star Trek crash bug so I can post the logs.

So far not having any luck getting ST to crash.

Good scoring, though just a fraction of my PS4 score:

uc

Is this the real Star Trek leaderboard? Very interesting. I'm at place 9 without ever playing SPA. The application always crashed. What a strange leaderboard mix between TPA and SPA. There's a lot of work for Farsight...

error.jpg

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Is this the real Star Trek leaderboard? Very interesting. I'm at place 9 without ever playing SPA. The application always crashed. What a strange leaderboard mix between TPA and SPA. There's a lot of work for Farsight...

error.jpg
You're just so good that is your pre-first ball score. The leaderboards are wonky, at best. Let me bask in my greatness for a while, even if it isn't legitimate. My mother would be so proud. :p

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
You're just so good that is your pre-first ball score. The leaderboards are wonky, at best. Let me bask in my greatness for a while, even if it isn't legitimate. My mother would be so proud. :p

No problem. :) I won't play all tables with wrong leaderboards until there are clean. Btw, you're TX-Sector score is really good. Is this also an accident from another table?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.