Table Pack #16 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
If it's Goin' Nuts and Flight 2000, then it's another s*** sandwich, just like the DD/FP debacle. Thanks to lack of SD card support, I need to be more selective about what I buy, or else I'm going to run out of room. I guess this pack will be the first to fail to make the cut.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Man I had totally forgotten about Tee'd Off being in the Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Collection, but some Youtubing brought the memories back. Hum. : P Well, hopefully I'll like it more with TPA's improved physics. I do think it's very neat that they do rare / unreleased tables, I just haven't been a fan of this one so far.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
Farsight might be working directly with the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame who have a copy of the machine. It wouldn't be too hard for the PHOF to take pictures of every square inche of the machine while they are doing maintenance to it. They could also probably flash a copy of the ROM for them as well.

It's also possible that Gottlieb may still have most of the materials available for this table (art work, blue print, ROM, etc...).

is that not what they did for the various disc collections prior to TPA?

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
If it's Goin' Nuts and Flight 2000, then it's another s*** sandwich, just like the DD/FP debacle. Thanks to lack of SD card support, I need to be more selective about what I buy, or else I'm going to run out of room. I guess this pack will be the first to fail to make the cut.

Flight 2000 elevates this to God-tier status...

ben

Mar 18, 2012
Anybody tried googling "pinball flying squirrel"? :p

Rare breed would suit a pinball that was only made 10 machines ... but, could anyone tell me why this is in PHOF? I mean only 10, wouldn't that mean that it was not considered good enough to be mass-produced by the company? Shouldn't Farsight choose something that was proven to be a success?

Well, hopefully Pin Wiz is joking, Goin' Nuts paired with Flight 2000 or Space Station doesn't seem to be very appealing to me.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Yeah I'm not sure it's Tee'd off as there are no squirrel in that table. So either R&B or Goin Nuts.

So if it is goin nuts, will we possibly see King Kong in the future from DE??

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Flight 2000 and Goin' Nuts would be a big let down for me. Still getting the pack regardless.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Flight 2000 and Goin' Nuts would be a big let down for me. Still getting the pack regardless.

I agree this would still be a let down of a pack, regardless it might have not only a TPA Fansite choice table, but a 'NEW' Stern table to boot.

Both Gottelib and Stern additions, kind of a breath of fresh air even if it might be a little smoggy. :p

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I'm not excited for this pack at all going by the consensus that's its goin nuts and flight 2000. More modern tables please!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

How much space does TPA use on Android? I just checked my iPad and it's only 582MB (I have all 32 tables downloaded). I have quite a few games/apps that are 1.0-1.5GB so I thought this was a lot smaller.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
What's so bad if it is Goin' Nuts and Flight 2000?
We get a classic Stern (the most popular according to our own poll). It has a tough to achieve multiball that will have you coming back again and again.
Goin' Nuts is super Rare (rarer than Big Bang Bar). Great cartoonish art and a non-traditional layout and rule set. It will look and play different than anything we have currently in The Pinball Arcade.
So I will not be calling this a s**t sandwich or climbing up on the ledge to jump. At least not until I get to play them. How many people hated the idea of a Pin*Bot Centaur pack? Many now think it is one of the best packs yet.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
My view on the new pack isn't nearly that fatalistic. I love all the tables and welcome any new addition to the family.

The pinbot and centaur isn't one of my most played due to my dmd addiction.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Anybody tried googling "pinball flying squirrel"? :p

Rare breed would suit a pinball that was only made 10 machines ... but, could anyone tell me why this is in PHOF? I mean only 10, wouldn't that mean that it was not considered good enough to be mass-produced by the company? Shouldn't Farsight choose something that was proven to be a success?

Exactly. Though I could not find anything specific in the way of history on this table outside of the usual stuff on pinside and ipdb, I will refer to the link below to an write up from Stork's Nest Pinball, a big Gottlieb System 80 enthusiast, about another Gottlieb from the same month and year (Feb, 1983) named Krull which was also limited to a production of 10. Basically, the article stated that the game wasn't put into production due to, no surprise, cost. I wouldn't be surprised if Goin' Nuts's fate was not also tied to its perceived lack of success. Gotta remember that this was 1983 and the pinball industry wasn't doing too well and, I'm sure, management did not want to take many risks.

http://replay.pinball.ch/system80pins/Krull.html

With that said, Goin' Nuts is a VERY non-traditional pin, from the timer, to constant multiball and to it's almost haphazard layout (I get it. It's like a tree). A reviewer on ipdb pretty much summed it up by saying "this is the wach-a-mole of pinball games." Well, whack a mole may be fun for kids but I could care less about it in pinball.

Once again, though I couldn't find anything specific to this table, just about every other pin that's had such a limited run, it's usually because it probably wasn't going to be, as Jay would say, commercially viable.

Personally, I'd rather see Krull. :) (Yes, I know it's based on a movie license, hence, smiley face. Actually, I've seen Krull a couple times. It's not bad.)

On a side note, I did play a nice Flight 2000 in May at Pinfest. I wish I could have heard the sound better because I do like the noise these Sterns make but the playfield was just too open for me to really find much in the way of enjoyment. It wasn't a pooper by any means. I just prefer something a little tighter like Seawitch or Catacomb. I have a feeling I'll be saving some money this month.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
If Flight 2000 won the Classic Stern poll why are you guys upset about it? I'm excited to see it coming so fast even though I didn't vote for it. Goin' Nuts I could definitely live without. In fact, if I was presented with a list of all tables on TPA (without playing them first) and had to choose one to remove from the list it would be Goin' Nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts