Table Pack #25 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Cool. Has anyone talked about Phantom of the Opera by Data East? It's such a cool looking table!

I played it quite a bit as a kid. I wouldn't mind it on TPA if they were doing any Data East tables. However, I do recall reading somewhere that they probably won't do any DE tables anytime soon.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I played it quite a bit as a kid. I wouldn't mind it on TPA if they were doing any Data East tables. However, I do recall reading somewhere that they probably won't do any DE tables anytime soon.

They recently stated they are looking in to doing some Data East. Oh, and Phantom probably needs no licensing since it is not based on any of the recent Weber adaptations and the characters are probably public domain by now.

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
They recently stated they are looking in to doing some Data East. Oh, and Phantom probably needs no licensing since it is not based on any of the recent Weber adaptations and the characters are probably public domain by now.

That reminds me...wasn't POTO on the Premium Licensed poll last year? We never did get an explanation of why this was; have FarSight explained this since?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That reminds me...wasn't POTO on the Premium Licensed poll last year? We never did get an explanation of why this was; have FarSight explained this since?

It was on the premium poll. My understanding was that it was based on PinWiz' findings. Perhaps ther is something that would make it premium that we all have overlooked or perhaps he made an error. He certainly deserves plenty of slack for doing all the legwork on that to begin with and nobody is perfect. Besides, plenty of people think it is based on the Andrw Lloyd Webber version.

Feb 19, 2014
If they are following down the pinball arcade fans poll (sort of, they skipped Getaway and any of the licensed tables, oh and Road Show) then the next game will be Diner or EarthShaker iirc.

Personally I hope they just forget the poll for now and do High Speed. I really, really hope it's HS because it's one of those games that the arcade just feels, not empty but like something is missing without it.

Of course I won't be mad if it's diner or EarthShaker, as I love them both. Also really curious to see if they will do Xenon, save it for pinball after dark, or skip it altogether. Really really hoping we get it as I'm a big fan, 8-Ball Deluxe as well, early SS Bally games are awesome.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2014

A quick Google shows a Phantom of the Opera movie from 1989 and a made for TV film from 1990. Are you guys positive it wasn't based on any of those? Also how does the game play, is it good? I'm all for some DE games, I have a feeling Tales from the Crypt could be the first DE, and maybe the table to kick off season 4 since Farsight loves doing Haloween themed tables, and Season 4 officially starts in October.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
A quick Google shows a Phantom of the Opera movie from 1989 and a made for TV film from 1990. Are you guys positive it wasn't based on any of those? Also how does the game play, is it good? I'm all for some DE games, I have a feeling Tales from the Crypt could be the first DE, and maybe the table to kick off season 4 since Farsight loves doing Haloween themed tables, and Season 4 officially starts in October.
Not to mention dozens of films, musicals, plays, songs, etc...

Do not forget the 1986 musical featuring Sarah Brightman...

Surely they must have reused elements from some adaptations along the way. It's possible the makers of the pinball table could have "borrowed" elements and called it a creative license, something that may not fly too well with the courts if done today.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
The famous organ music. Actually, that might be public domain.

I'm sure there would be some license fee, but I doubt it would be substantial.

Last edited:

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I love me some classic pipe organ music. One reason I like Haunted House and 1812 so much. Even if it's just synths, it's still cool. Anyone else think of Robot Chicken whenever they play 1812?

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I never knew this exists.

Me too!

Pin*Bot was released one year before (1990) and this High Speed (1991) seems less good (Pin*Bot was great, I still own the original cartridge bought 24 years ago).

PS: I like the idea that you always see the bottom flippers.

That was a great idea, only used in Rare's games. I don't know why.

All the others pinball games were pretty unplayable, because the camera was stuck to the ball (Pinball Dreams, Fantasies & Illusions in the same era).

Pinbot changes color as you progress through the planets and eventually you get a triangular ball with whacky physics.

And even a square ball. ;) (after the triangular)

That was totally insanely fun (the ball speed goes up as hell).

I just like all the stuff that Rare had implemented to the original Pin*Bot table:

- Green table: the blue blob who comes to the center of the solar system and "eat your ball" (the most annoying)
- Orange table: the "mosquitos" who drop bombs on your flipper (but you can destroy them or the bomb with the ball) or grab your ball and fly away out of the table!
- Grey table: the "worms" in the outlanes who eat your ball too.

And above all, the Pin*Bot music in "8-Bit style" was so perfect! > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BH6lIaAses

What a game, I will never forget all the hundred of hours I spent on it.

PS: the left outlane was already very greedy. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts