Table Pack #25 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Well, where I saw them, there were signs of multiple tables (this is when I last looked) so it couldn't be a definitive answer. I can tell you what it wasn't, though.

High Speed :(

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Well, where I saw them, there were signs of multiple tables (this is when I last looked) so it couldn't be a definitive answer. I can tell you what it wasn't, though.

High Speed :(
Aw, shucks...

I'm gonna go on the record before anyone else steals my thunder, and predict High Speed for table packs 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30. Basically the entire remainder of season 3 will be High Speed. Maybe??? :rolleyes:

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Aw, shucks...

I'm gonna go on the record before anyone else steals my thunder, and predict High Speed for table packs 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30. Basically the entire remainder of season 3 will be High Speed. Maybe??? :rolleyes:

I sure as hell hope you're right about one of them. :)

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I garentee you it won't be High speed, my guess for this season will be The Getaway: High Seed 2. Because it seems like their going for the newer ones right know, remember the fuss about Black Knight, I think their thinking sequels would do better. Also remember The Bride of Pinbot came out before Pinbot, so I'm just saying. I want both High Speed games on The Pinball Arcade at some point, so it doesn't matter to me which one will be first.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
They mentioned on the stream for BK2K that the song was a "pretty big license" and they seem to be avoiding anything with any licensing at all right now.

I don't think we're going to see ether HS this season.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I garentee you it won't be High speed, my guess for this season will be The Getaway: High Seed 2. Because it seems like their going for the newer ones right know, remember the fuss about Black Knight, I think their thinking sequels would do better. Also remember The Bride of Pinbot came out before Pinbot, so I'm just saying. I want both High Speed games on The Pinball Arcade at some point, so it doesn't matter to me which one will be first.
I love the police beacon in the game. Also who the freak cares if the display is matrix or alpha-numeric. The DMD display and the (glorified Atari 2600 Enduro clone) racing minigame on said display are about the only things Getaway has going for it over High Speed. ZZtop is awesome but I've got a vinyl turntable for whenever I want to listen to his stuff. Another strike against Getaway. The police radio on High Speed is awesome and really sucks you into the game; ditto for the green-yellow-red stoplight progression, followed by "Suspect has ran a red light. Over... 10-4; he got away..." gotta love that police radio!

Last edited:

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
They mentioned on the stream for BK2K that the song was a "pretty big license" and they seem to be avoiding anything with any licensing at all right now.
i just cant stop wonder how marvel, star wars, most popular football clubs of europe, other video games characters are not "pretty big license", but near everything that FS meet on real pinball tables is..

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
@Stardust4ever, I have no problem with High Speed, I think it's an Awesome game and I want it to. The only real thing I want The Getaway for is the reving thing on the playfield, the ball goes around and around, and that's about it.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

Why so big? It's a digital recreation of the song, not actually ZZ Top, and no lyrics sung that I recall.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Like the way you think :)

Why so big? It's a digital recreation of the song, not actually ZZ Top, and no lyrics sung that I recall.
There was a song in Creature that didn't make the transition to TPA because of licensing, and that was a "digital recreation" as well. I'd say Getaway would be more highly impacted by missing it's key licensed song than Creature was.

Side note: I've been listening to a lot of old podcasts recently and found a lot of people in the industry have High Speed as either a favourite game or an industry gamechanger. Surprised to hear that it was Pat Lawlor's favourite game as of a few years ago and in a TOPcast episode Lyman Sheats said it was one of the first games he really got into. I wasn't into pinball at the time, but by all accounts it was far more groundbreaking than The Getaway was for it's time.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2014
i just cant stop wonder how marvel, star wars, most popular football clubs of europe, other video games characters are not "pretty big license", but near everything that FS meet on real pinball tables is..

They sell around 10K units of dlc per pack, and about 20-40K for season 1 (which probably means PS4 is reason).

So even if they sell 20-40K units on all dlc, they're making money but it isn't the kind of money where they can afford licensing without Kickstarter... IMO Harley Davidson, Universal, and other licenses they did in the past were not lucrative enough to keep doing.. Otherwise Road Show and Getaway would have been locks. Now its looking like even F-14 and tables with any kind of minor licenses won't happen. Which is kinda a bummer. With all that said I'm happy with just High Speed and don't need Getaway but would obviously want both if possible.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013

Doesn't matter. How many times have you heard complaints of TV shows rereleased on DVD and a particularly memorable scene is ruined by substituted songs in the soundtrack, yet reruns on television still use the original tracks. It is a very big deal, especially when people who legitamately purchased the original DVD go out of their way to pirate the original broadcast version off the Internet so they can enjoy their "shows" the way they remembered. RIAA's rule with an iron fist is responsible for this. Personally, they can go **** a **** ****.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012

Agreed, you never see Zen doing kickstarter's

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013

I know! Why is it they just can't snap their fingers and get the licenses they need? That's the way the world works right! It's silly they're not even doing that and making us all suffer.

Emergency_Room

Nov 3, 2013
They sell around 10K units of dlc per pack, and about 20-40K for season 1 (which probably means PS4 is reason).

So even if they sell 20-40K units on all dlc, they're making money but it isn't the kind of money where they can afford licensing without Kickstarter... IMO Harley Davidson, Universal, and other licenses they did in the past were not lucrative enough to keep doing.. Otherwise Road Show and Getaway would have been locks. Now its looking like even F-14 and tables with any kind of minor licenses won't happen. Which is kinda a bummer. With all that said I'm happy with just High Speed and don't need Getaway but would obviously want both if possible.

Maybe the future of using Kickstarter is not in an effort to get licenses on these huge named tables (i.e. Star Trek and Harley Davidson), but instead using it as a means to get tables where there are a few licensing issues. Really about the only possible Kickstarter left is Addams Family and maybe Simpsons Pinball Party. For instance a Kickstarter that would pay for the licenses required for Getaway I think would work. It would certainly not require the money that previous Kickstarters have required and there is a great deal of interest on having that table in TPA so I think they would easily be able to raise the money.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

I think Zen is a lot more popular because it appeals to general video game fans more than TPA does, which is primarily for pinball fans. Sure, landing the Marvel License was probably their big break. But they played the game well from then on. They also do a lot of things much better than Farsight, such as great marketing. Their twitter feed is constantly retweeting positive feedback and reviews of their games. They generate a lot of good word of mouth. TPA is more niche.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Plus, 9/10 Zen is promoting something *current*. The rights holders for Twilight Zone or Star Trek Next Gen couldn't give a toss who knows about their product this far from their heyday. Compare that to Marvel (who always have things coming out these days) and Star Wars (new movie on the horizon) and it's obvious. That's why there's an Xmen pinball that had only just come out.

Tables for Zen are like Stern tables: they're used to market something. It's a two-way street, with multiple parties having a vested interest. With TPA, the only interested parties are Farsight and their customers.

I'd have thought that was kind of obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts