Table pack #36 speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
We need more George Gomez!

Only thing I've seen so far from him is Monster Bash. We need to see Johnny Mnemonic or Corvette in TPA someday. :)

Agreed. The Sopranos is probably the table I've spent the most time on. Besides South Park (not a huge selection around here). But that won't happen. Any of his tables would be awesome. I predict The Sopranos lol. The fish hole gives a shoutout from Fish Tales, yeah. Not very high on people's lists, but it's not bad at all

p6800

May 17, 2013
Nothing will beat the first season as far as designer concentration goes, where they had already done three of John Popadiuk's pins by table pack 2. :p

At first they had to bring good stuff one after another. Now the good stuff is drying up.
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Steve Ritchie
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Pat Lawlor

There is not much left from the gods.

This late in the game it would make sense to spread things and juggle with care what's left. No need to come with a Ritchie right after a Ritchie...

Diversity keeps it fun.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
We need more George Gomez!

Only thing I've seen so far from him is Monster Bash. We need to see Johnny Mnemonic or Corvette in TPA someday. :)

Does he not really hate digital pinball? Not that it would stop Farsight from legally digitising his tables, but I think it might annoy him :p

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Agreed. The Sopranos is probably the table I've spent the most time on. Besides South Park (not a huge selection around here). But that won't happen. Any of his tables would be awesome. I predict The Sopranos lol. The fish hole gives a shoutout from Fish Tales, yeah. Not very high on people's lists, but it's not bad at all

I agree with you. It's a great table. I played it quite a bit when a local bar had it but unfortunately you couldn't really hear it (bummer). Hope to have it if After Dark ever comes out!!

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Your opinion. In mine,Lawlor beats Popadiuk hands down.

Yes, Pat Lawlor is the better of the two desingers. But John Popadiuk's tables did offer unique designs and dabbled in more "artsy" themes than did his collegues. So he does deserve credit for making fun tables with enough differences to make them more interesting. (What if Steve Ritchie designed CV LOL?) Plus, Mr. Popadiuk had the task of coming into pinball design at a time when new table sales were starting to drop considerably.

As much as I like FunHouse, Earthshaker, and TAF, I can still have a great time with ToM, CV, and ToTAN.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
Yes, Pat Lawlor is the better of the two desingers. But John Popadiuk's tables did offer unique designs and dabbled in more "artsy" themes than did his collegues. So he does deserve credit for making fun tables with enough differences to make them more interesting. (What if Steve Ritchie designed CV LOL?) Plus, Mr. Popadiuk had the task of coming into pinball design at a time when new table sales were starting to drop considerably.

As much as I like FunHouse, Earthshaker, and TAF, I can still have a great time with ToM, CV, and ToTAN.

I can play TOM or TOTAN, endlessly, where as I get bored after 1 play of just about any of Lawlor's tables. In fact, I think most of his tables are ridiculously overrated. (TZ, Whirlwind, and especially Funhouse)

He does have a few tables that I enjoy, like NGG, TAF, or Monopoly, but that's about it.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
does anybody have a web-accessible list of the TPA tables in such a clickable table to sort by year, manu, lead designer?? that'd be sweet... it'd be neater in TPA itself, like a good MAME frontend... ;0 i know i'd love to geek out on stuff like that.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I agree with you. It's a great table. I played it quite a bit when a local bar had it but unfortunately you couldn't really hear it (bummer). Hope to have it if After Dark ever comes out!!

Seriously? Props to you! That table is solid. Voice acting is awesome. I've never even seen 1 episode. Shame on me. Goals are pretty clear. Not too hard, but not too easy either. I've had some wonky things happen while locking away balls in that boat. It's one of my favorite lock mechanisms though. Fish Tales has my other fav, but that boat is so satisfying once you hit it. Unfortunately all I play is Avatar now. its the 'skrillex' of the pinball world. Aka, gets dogged on quite a bit, but is great

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I can play TOM or TOTAN, endlessly, where as I get bored after 1 play of just about any of Lawlor's tables. In fact, I think most of his tables are ridiculously overrated. (TZ, Whirlwind, and especially Funhouse)

He does have a few tables that I enjoy, like NGG, TAF, or Monopoly, but that's about it.

That's so funny! I feel like Whirlwind is one of the most, if not the most, underrated tables on TPA. I agree about ToM and ToTAN, though.

I am so looking forward to TAF, by the way. I haven't played it in over 20 years.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Whirlwind is superior to Earthshaker in every way, IMO. It feels like Lawlor was still learning the ropes with the latter.

Last edited:

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Whirlwind is superior to Earthshaker in every way, IMO. It feels like Lawlor was still learning the ropes with the latter.

I just love them BOTH!! Can't get enough although i do play more games of Whirlwind I guess if I were to analyze it. Obviously hard since we've only had Earthshaker for a month but I'm just happy to have both! Also I do like the accession all game of fun house too

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I just love them BOTH!! Can't get enough although i do play more games of Whirlwind I guess if I were to analyze it. Obviously hard since we've only had Earthshaker for a month but I'm just happy to have both! Also I do like the accession all game of fun house too

Whirlwind is one that I really only play occasionally, but every time I forget how much I love it. For me it's one of those "just one more game" tables.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :p

Whirlwind is one that I really only play occasionally, but every time I forget how much I love it. For me it's one of those "just one more game" tables.

Whirlwind and Whitewater are the big ones that everyone seems to love, and I just cannot stand. I just don't find any fun in them, even when I played them in real life.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Whirlwind and Whitewater are the big ones that everyone seems to love, and I just cannot stand. I just don't find any fun in them, even when I played them in real life.

WW and WH2O were next to each other in an arcade I visited a lot. Played 'em both lots and as a consequence have big nostalgia love-in for both :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Overall gameplay-wise, I like WW better than ES. ES has better music and call-outs, though - plus the shaker motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.