Table Pack #64 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Prior to the newsletter somebody on Facebook had made a comment that it would be either Firepower 2, World Cup or Fathom. I can just hope he has some inside knowledge and we'll finally get Fathom.

Regarding FP2, why? If they wanna do an early SS Williams, why not something different like Pharoah, Solar Fire or Flash. I mean WTF? Who chooses these games? FP2 was a recycled idea that Steve's brother, Mark, wanted to try to get his feet wet at his new job soon after he was hired at Williams.
I played Pharaoh for the first time today. It seems like a Black Knight clone, but more fun.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
World Cup is also a highly requested table-and I'd like it as well. I think it would translate very well to TPA, provided FarSight has managed to work through the licensing.

It would be a far better soccer-themed offering than that other one that floated around the boards last year.

Then again, how many people requested Fire! over Firepower II? And how did that work out, exactly?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

Except, no, it's not a "timesaving measure", they still need to a complete tear down etc. of the table. Just because it has 4 bumpers and 2 banks of targets in roughly the same place, does not make the playfield identical.

The same goes for the two versions of El Dorado, and Pin*Bot vs Jack*Bot.

Only pins that are genuine re-skins of the same hardware - such as Shrek/Family Guy, and NASCAR/Grand Prix - could be done this way, and even then, would probably need physical teardowns to photograph everything, and full sound recording sessions (unless the digital art/sound assets are readily available from Stern).

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Except, no, it's not a "timesaving measure", they still need to a complete tear down etc. of the table. Just because it has 4 bumpers and 2 banks of targets in roughly the same place, does not make the playfield identical.

The same goes for the two versions of El Dorado, and Pin*Bot vs Jack*Bot.

Only pins that are genuine re-skins of the same hardware - such as Shrek/Family Guy, and NASCAR/Grand Prix - could be done this way, and even then, would probably need physical teardowns to photograph everything, and full sound recording sessions (unless the digital art/sound assets are readily available from Stern).

Gotcha. :cool:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I played Pharaoh for the first time today. It seems like a Black Knight clone, but more fun.
Never played a real Pharaoh and I'm a big fan of BK.
Layout looks great and I'd love any 70s/80s Williams to make it into TPA. Not so sure about the upper level mini flipper though. I don't tend to mind these for single shot layouts (like the piano shot on TZ) but not for aiming at banks of drop targets, I'm not sure the accuracy would be satisfying. Same with both sets of lower playfield drop targets being over to the right hand side. Can you aim accurately?

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
Black Knight, Jungle Lord, Pharaoh and Solar Fire were considered the big 4 of Williams for split playfield tables in the early 80's. Wouldn't mind seeing the other three after BK make it into TPA.

karl

May 10, 2012
Black Knight, Jungle Lord, Pharaoh and Solar Fire were considered the big 4 of Williams for split playfield tables in the early 80's. Wouldn't mind seeing the other three after BK make it into TPA.

Or "The only four" :eek:

Of those I would choose Solar Fire, but to be frank, I would much rather see some of the single playfield games from the same time period from Williams. like Barracora, Defender, Cosmic Gunfight, Alien Poker, etc. (game rules over real estate for me.) They are all more interesting than Firepower 2 also

The only Double playfield machine that I feel is a must is Flash Gordon from Bally. If only licenses would fall from trees

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I realize that I've simply been reading too much into the clue. Reminds me of when people thought BK2K was the next table because of the Black Knight saying "always bet on black" when actually, Black Rose was the next one.

The eleven total references to peeps getting fired before mentioning the one that gives FP2 away has stoked my curiosity though.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Yeah... it's all in that final bubble. "Fire Power too". Just with a ton of distraction and fluff surrounding it. Hmm.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I've come to terms with it. I'll get my enjoyment out of it for a couple weeks. It's more the fact that no one was requesting it. I wanted Mousin Around for Bebop

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Oh sure I don't get the choice. It's very odd. All I can think, is there's a really big fan of FPII up in Big Bear. The only reason I can think it's coming, is it's a test of some new emulation capabilities, since so far we don't have any Williams tables from that era emulated (some folks have seen the emulated Black Knight in action). So... maybe it's a blessing in disguise, because it will lead to emulation of Firepower and Gorgar as well.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
This seems real hard to interpret as anything but firepower II

BUT....

"Always Bet on Black" seemed obvious as well, and we were wrong about it. :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I say it's zingy bingy story as told by python is the Japanese manager took one look at it and promptly shut down the entire capcom division . No good soup

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
Seen a few people on various Firepower II YouTube videos asking if TPA would get the table, so maybe someone was requesting it just not in the places we usually see requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.