The PS3 "super patch"

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
The problem with this idea is that it would require a total overhaul of the entire way the game is presented in order to make it even possible. All for the sake of trophies.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2013
I'm well aware of what trophies add to games, thanks.

And splitting up the seasons into individual PSN games would not be a very good idea.

I wish PS4 didn't have trophies at all. I can't stand the trophy system. So needlessly complicated compared to achievements on 360.

Not that I care about those either. I understand that people do care and I'm not going to belittle you guys, but chances are you still care cause you're new to last gen (2009/2010 perhaps?) and it's still fun. If you're anything like most of us you will stop caring soon enough and end up turning off notifications altogether. The app itself keeps track of completed wizard goals, so in a sense you have an in-game achievement tracking system anyway. Most games do not do this. Really, the achievement is redundant.

Dec 7, 2013
Plus it's pinball. You're chasing score, primarily. Whereas most games, achievements promote doing things in the game you wouldn't do otherwise, adding to the experience. Whereas with Pinball as you get better and your score advances you will pick up the goals anyway.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I trade all the trophies of the PS3 version against the HOF points system of the others devices.

Maybe it will be included in the megapatch.

Shadowrider49

May 27, 2012
Does this super patch fix flipper lag on the PS3? It is god awful making it unbearable to play on the PS3. People say to change your TV back to 720P from 1080P. Does this work?? I've tried setting the PS3 to 720P from 1080P and this does not work.

I have a Samsung LED 46" 3D smart TV series 6.

There is no game mode for this T.V.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Does this super patch fix flipper lag on the PS3? It is god awful making it unbearable to play on the PS3. People say to change your TV back to 720P from 1080P. Does this work?? I've tried setting the PS3 to 720P from 1080P and this does not work.

Turn any and all processing on the TV off. Motion processing, dynamic contrast, light adapting processing, noise reduction, etc.

I do this anyway, but I'm that way.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

If you're experiencing really bad lag then it's not just the game. Look for video processing on your TV and/or A/V receiver or an issue with your controller. The game has one frame of lag that FarSight has identified but I think the game might have more. Whatever it has it is much improved and its not horrible anymore.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Yes, it does work. All I had to do, however, was change the output on my PS3. I didn't do anything to the TV itself. Changing to 720p - I was previously set to 1080i - completely eliminated flipper lag for me.

Apr 8, 2012
Are you sure the tv doesn't have game mode? I have a Samsung LED 46" 3D smart TV (model UN46ES6500) and it has game mode. I don't think I've seen a Samsung LED tv that doesn't have game mode.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Are you sure the tv doesn't have game mode? I have a Samsung LED 46" 3D smart TV (model UN46ES6500) and it has game mode. I don't think I've seen a Samsung LED tv that doesn't have game mode.

Yeah, I have a 7100 series and the game mode toggle is actually quite buried... menu>system>general>game mode ... and there's no discreet button for it. And I know because I tried... have a harmony remote and pretty much the only thing possible is creating a macro to press all the buttons for you.

So I would also ask, are you sure you don't have game mode?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
anybody ever confirm if the PS3 picture processing causes slow down? there are options on the XMB. Kinda reminds me of a pitcher in baseball throwing fastballs then you get off speed pitches, you can adjust it takes a few looks.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
If you've got bad lag, you must set the PS3 output to 720, and eliminate all post-processing on the TV itself. That's as good as it will get until the day/month/year the Super-Awesome-Mega-Uber Patch finally drops, I'm afraid.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I wish PS4 didn't have trophies at all. I can't stand the trophy system. So needlessly complicated compared to achievements on 360.

Not that I care about those either. I understand that people do care and I'm not going to belittle you guys, but chances are you still care cause you're new to last gen (2009/2010 perhaps?) and it's still fun. If you're anything like most of us you will stop caring soon enough and end up turning off notifications altogether. The app itself keeps track of completed wizard goals, so in a sense you have an in-game achievement tracking system anyway. Most games do not do this. Really, the achievement is redundant.

If you hate them so much just turn them off on the XMB. Under System Settings/Trophy Notifications [Off]. Problem solved.
They won't show when you unlock them and you will soon forget they even exist at all.

I care about them because they add more replayability to games. I would have stopped playing tables like Genie and Black Knight if it weren't for trying to get the trophy for completing all goals. And no, I'm not new to gaming. I've been playing games since before the Atari VCS was out. I'm not sure why that matters though. Should I be jaded about wanting to complete game related goals?

Anyway, I hope the megapatch addresses this. If you don't like trophies it won't make a bit of difference either way.
As far as Sony goes I would think they would want to make this uniform instead of having some tables contain trophies while others do not.

Shadowrider49

May 27, 2012

No mine doesn't have game mode for some strange reason. Yeah...you would think it should. It has dynamic, standard, natural but that is it. I'll go searching for it in other areas of the menu and see if can find it.

Tried changing the settings on the TV to the most basic....but that is a terrible fix as then I have to tinker with it to get it to the most optimized setting for TV viewing......and changing the TV to basic did nothing to get rid of the flipper lag.

Shadowrider49

May 27, 2012
Yeah, I have a 7100 series and the game mode toggle is actually quite buried... menu>system>general>game mode ... and there's no discreet button for it. And I know because I tried... have a harmony remote and pretty much the only thing possible is creating a macro to press all the buttons for you.

So I would also ask, are you sure you don't have game mode?

I'll go looking in this area of my TV to see if I can find one. Thanks. I have a Samsung LCD TV in the basement and game mode can be seen with dynamic, standard, sports, etc. Why they would change this with the newer TV's is baffling...probably a cost cutting move on Samsung's part.

Shadowrider49

May 27, 2012
If you've got bad lag, you must set the PS3 output to 720, and eliminate all post-processing on the TV itself. That's as good as it will get until the day/month/year the Super-Awesome-Mega-Uber Patch finally drops, I'm afraid.

Before I bought the Samsung I had an old Toshiba DLP that only has 720P. I tried playing Pinball arcade on there with the settings on the PS3 set to 720P and still got the same noticeable lag. Funny thing is IO have the xbox360 version of the game and it plays pristine perfect with no lag. Arrgh!!! There is something amiss that I am doing wrong. I'll try first looking for a game mode on my TV and then changing the PS3 display settings to 720P and see if this works. Thanks for the advice.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey guys, as far as trophies go, FarSight hit their cap and Sony will not make an exception. As far as the flipper lag, I'd be tremendously surprised if they got it better than the 1frame it's currently at. The megapatch is primarily to fix art issues and table specific bugs. Anything above and beyond that should come as a welcome surprise, not an expected feature.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Hi spoonman,

The trophy limit is for all PS3 games and Sony won't do an exception. With season 3 FS should get another 1200 points or so. They could make the Standard Goals Bronze trophies and use some points for the season 2 tables.

ETA? Nope. Don't hold your breath and let FS take all the time they need.

the only way that FS would be able to get trophy points for s3 would be if they made it its own psn game.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts