timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike, I'm curious as to whether the complaints level led toward strobe multiball on the PS4 version of AFM have been looked into. I've not seen it so I don't really know how valid they are but they seem to have come from enough people to give them credence.

Is it just the strobe that is missing? Should be fixable if that was it.

Where did they mention porting to Linux? That would seem a bit odd to develop a DX11 update with an intention to port to Linux. It would make much more sense to switch to OpenGL so it can work on Mac, Linux and Windows with less translating of APIs.

OpenGL for Linux and Mac. Directx for win.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
OpenGL for Linux and Mac. Directx for win.

I'm curious, is there a technical reason not to use OpenGL for all platforms? I'm just concerned that by having DX9, DX11 and OGL needing to all be supported we could end up with OGL lagging behind graphically.

That said its fantastic to know a native version is coming at all as while I did get the DX9 version running on WINE when it first launched, since then Steam has stopped working on my WINE installation. Native Steam does also break sometimes (due to only being officially supported on Ubuntu and I am on Fedora) but not nearly as often and I expect its support to improve.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I'm curious, is there a technical reason not to use OpenGL for all platforms? I'm just concerned that by having DX9, DX11 and OGL needing to all be supported we could end up with OGL lagging behind graphically.

Only a guess but maybe the PC version will re-use stuff done for PS4 which I think uses DX11 although I maybe wrong so it would be interesting to hear the answer for this.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
directx is windows specfic so when people say dx9 vs dx11 they are talking windows pc and or an xbox

afaik know the ps4 is opengl based

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
OpenGL is certainly used on PS4 but there is also Direct 11 support so it depends on what Farsight opted to use. Searching for PS4 DirectX will show this.

This has been debunked. While the chip features DX support since it's from AMD, Sony most certainly does NOT have access to Microsoft's DirectX property, so the actual operating system on the PS4 in no way features DX. Without Microsoft's DX API, it's not happening.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
This has been debunked. While the chip features DX support since it's from AMD, Sony most certainly does NOT have access to Microsoft's DirectX property, so the actual operating system on the PS4 in no way features DX. Without Microsoft's DX API, it's not happening.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I remember reading a lot about it the early to middle part of last year but didn't keep up to date with it.

KRYTEN4000gti

Sep 27, 2013
Well also alot of people waiting to see what TPA does on pc promises before spending money..

I am in this camp as well. I have my eye on the pro versions of all three seasons and now have some Christmas money in the bank earmarked for TPA. All three are sitting in my wishlist. I am currently scratching my pinball itch on the PS3 and do not want to re-buy on the PC until it looks noticeably better than the PS3 version. That being said, a really good Steam sale might have gotten me to bite now, but it does not look like that is in the cards at this point. (BTW, the $10 off the season 2 pro pack did not go unnoticed and the gesture was appreciated, but it didn't drop it into "bargain hunter" territory).

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
For those who own the PC and PS4 versions, how do they compare for graphics, physics and flipper lag?

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
PS4 has the edge on graphics, but it plays more like the ps3 version where I do find a bit of the "sticky flipper" thing rather than the PC version where it's not nearly as pronounced. It's not too bad but it is somewhat noticeable if you're paying attention and very much used to one platform

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
OK thanks. I managed to catch a player on twitch who was playing the PS4 version. Visual quality blew my mind. Just wondering if the dx11 pc version could match those visuals I saw (I don't currently own those games on PC to compare).

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
You guys make me glad that I picked the PC as my primary platform for the game. :)

...After I got screwed on Xbox 360. :/

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I don't believe there is such a thing as DX11 support in the GPU as such.

Both OpenGL and DirectX basically do the same thing and its up to the OS GPU drivers to translate both into native GPU instructions.

For all intents and purposes PC, Xbox One and PS4 are equal when it comes to GPU instruction support. Its unlikely the PC version is going to surpass the PS4 version as that would run on relatively few PCs and the current build even runs decent on the new Atom PCs.

Filip

Nov 17, 2013
I don't believe there is such a thing as DX11 support in the GPU as such.

Both OpenGL and DirectX basically do the same thing and its up to the OS GPU drivers to translate both into native GPU instructions.

For all intents and purposes PC, Xbox One and PS4 are equal when it comes to GPU instruction support. Its unlikely the PC version is going to surpass the PS4 version as that would run on relatively few PCs and the current build even runs decent on the new Atom PCs.

Luckily a PS4 is equivalent to an average PC nowadays...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Besides the lowest common denominator of hardware reasons. I can't really see why the lighting wasn't better on the 360 or ps3 really. I mean both systems were fair with handling lighting/shading. Hell, Doom 3 on the xbox was lit up all amazing - like. Dx11 shouldn't be needed to have good lighting on the pc.

I've wanted to say that for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online