timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I have heard that the marketing people at FarSight didn't see the PC as a large priority, even if now it's generated more revenue than expected, those same people probably aren't in tune with what will and won't work in the current arena of online digital download sales for PC. On the other hand, someone authorized a Linux port so maybe things will change.

On that note, there's plenty of other times to put something on sale on Steam. Weekend sales, weekly sales, smaller 'big sales' like what we saw at Thanksgiving. Steam is more than just two big sales a year after all. :p

It should be no surprise to anyone that PC might be the smallest market segment of any of the platforms. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case, but we don't have the numbers so maybe I'm just wrong on that. Even then, "I have heard" something something some people did doesn't really mean anything if you don't have any sources besides posters on these forums. This is like whoever it was who stated that certain table packs sold a lot less than some others despite the data on those sales not being out there anywhere. Rumor mongering is irritating because it works and people start repeating ridiculous things with no basis in reality as fact.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
way i see the steam version of tpa dx9 at least, ot can work on any budget business laptop and various ettings, and while pinball gans may not have consoles or tabkets they certainly have a home computer or work laptop whatever, so oc is potentially a huge market.

too all you cheapskates expecting everything for a few dollars, sont let the door hit you on the way out, a few unique cases doesnt make a business model.

if your too cheap to spend a few quid on a season pass and buy every new console and tv and vpins and twenty tables...yes people you are cheap!

the under valuing of software and rise of iap has allowed thr mjaor consoles themselves to offer half games with iap

pay up or shut up

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
It should be no surprise to anyone that PC might be the smallest market segment of any of the platforms. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case, but we don't have the numbers so maybe I'm just wrong on that. Even then, "I have heard" something something some people did doesn't really mean anything if you don't have any sources besides posters on these forums. This is like whoever it was who stated that certain table packs sold a lot less than some others despite the data on those sales not being out there anywhere. Rumor mongering is irritating because it works and people start repeating ridiculous things with no basis in reality as fact.

For sales being stronger than predicted, I heard that from FarSight staff myself, I asked the question during the PS4 live stream near the end. And Mike in this thread has confirmed it.

Also, in a much older post (I'd have trouble digging it up) Mike has said that PC wasn't a high priority for the company as they mobile and then consoles as the big cash makers.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
way i see the steam version of tpa dx9 at least, ot can work on any budget business laptop and various ettings, and while pinball gans may not have consoles or tabkets they certainly have a home computer or work laptop whatever, so oc is potentially a huge market.

too all you cheapskates expecting everything for a few dollars, sont let the door hit you on the way out, a few unique cases doesnt make a business model.

if your too cheap to spend a few quid on a season pass and buy every new console and tv and vpins and twenty tables...yes people you are cheap!

the under valuing of software and rise of iap has allowed thr mjaor consoles themselves to offer half games with iap

pay up or shut up

Heretic, besides the mods you make the most sensible of the post in this thread. Gee Whiz people, why wouldn't PC-Steam be more popular than mobile. I had a tablet for a year I used my tablet for the main source of my TPA playing and when TPA was set to debut on Steam, I finagled my mom and my savings to get a gaming computer to play TPA. Plus, the Steam version of TPA will be compatible for those who owns a pinball cabinet machine without extra charge. Anyone who under-estimate the power of TPA and Steam are just uninformed.

Please remember readers of this thread that Sony gave TPA top-notch exposure to FarSight. The reason that DX11, for computer, is not implemented immediately is because of the promotion Sony gave TPA for the new Play Station. TPA was a launch title and an exhibition at all kiosks that previewed PS4. Sony deserves to have a few months of being the exclusive distributor of the new advancements that are coming to the Steam version of TPA.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
PC gaming is growing faster than ever and there maybe a lot of older people out there who typically aren't gamers but maybe partial to a game of pinball who own a PC but would never invest in a console. Over time these people will here abt TPA and will buy the odd table. In the 90s I wasn't a gamer but I bought the full Pro Pinball series along with millions of others for my PC. I have friends who don't typical play games but like pinball. They have PCs but would never buy console. The futures bright, the futures silver.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/pc-is-the-fastest-growing-gaming-platform-in-the-uk

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/why-pc-gaming-has-exploded

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
PC gaming is growing faster than ever and there maybe a lot of older people out there who typically aren't gamers but maybe partial to a game of pinball who own a PC but would never invest in a console. Over time these people will here abt TPA and will buy the odd table. In the 90s I wasn't a gamer but I bought the full Pro Pinball series along with millions of others for my PC. I have friends who don't typical play games but like pinball. They have PCs but would never buy console. The futures bright, the futures silver.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/pc-is-the-fastest-growing-gaming-platform-in-the-uk

Good links mate. PC is indeed on the rise, and Steam is bigger than ever.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
now this is what im talkin about!

cry havoc and let loose the real fans for the idiots are at the gate!

very deunk sorry

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013

Your right about that I'm older not a gamer won't be buying a console and have been a pinball player since 1965

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Of course, most PC gamers have Intel video cards - AMD and nVidia's sell very little compared to Intel.

I don't know who you call a gamer, but everyone who is serious about gaming has a dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics card (or at least an APU made by AMD). And the Intel users you are talking about, they don't have an "Intel video card". They have an integrated graphics processing unit on the CPU die or on the motherboard. Intels integrated solutions are far less capable than the current generation of dedicated GPUs.
And as we talk about Steam with all it's Indie games. Here are the latest numbers (December 2013):
51.67 percent Nvidia
31.35 percent AMD
16.56 percent Intel
0.42 percent other.
You don't have to be an experienced PC user to own an AMD or Nvidia card, because in every store, most systems which are branded for gaming performance come with an AMD or Nvidia GPU.

Last edited:

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
This thread was over on the second post. The rest is just people pointlessly arguing an unrelated topic. I hope this thread gets locked.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
This thread was over on the second post. The rest is just people pointlessly arguing an unrelated topic. I hope this thread gets locked.

yeah... when will we see the awesome lighting and prettier textures on the PC? I was just watching some PS4 Videos for the last hour and it looks so freakin real !!!
now I don't really wan't to look at the current PC version again :p

DX11 please !!!!

FS is even allowed to delay proper cabinet views for that... a little ;)

otto4711

Nov 6, 2013
i am waiting for the dx11 update too
hope it will come soon....

i heard that ps4 uses open gl
pcs can use open gl too :)

if its easier to integrate the new lighning effects with open gl so
why not us open gl instead of dx11 for pcs ?

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Holding off buying any PC tables until the DX11 versions come out.

I'll probably finally get Season 1 and 2 for PC. Happy with the way it looks on my laptop with PP on and no ball reflection in portrait mode. I don't have a rig to make use of DX11 and can't justify buying one just for TPA right now. I have a collection of tables spread over Steam + Android + Xbox. It gets expensive buying on multiple platforms which is why I've put it off as long as I have.

Android is great for casual play but for anything serious I use PC (used to be Xbox). Main problem right now is lack of free time to play all the tables :)

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Is that PC guy at FarSight still on vacation? I thought he was coming back in Jan? Where are the PC updates? My cab is crying.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Wasn't it going to be first quarter? We should've heard something by now if so :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts