TPA Wii U version info?

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
My WiiU is already paid for and waiting to be picked up Sunday. Trust and believe that once TPA has released, I will have every single table on there....just like I do for the PS3 and 360.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I'm interested to hear your impressions then, if you can compare to the current console versions.

Personally, I thought the Wii was the best platform, input-wise, for PHOF: Williams. Holding my hands a pinball table width apart and flicking my wrist to nudge was the ideal video pinball input. The lack of HD visuals was a bummer, but that is no longer an issue with the Wii-U. Nik and others have mentioned buying consoles as dedicated TPA machines, and something tells me this could be the one to do that with. Please report back with your findings.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I'm interested to hear your impressions then, if you can compare to the current console versions.

Personally, I thought the Wii was the best platform, input-wise, for PHOF: Williams. Holding my hands a pinball table width apart and flicking my wrist to nudge was the ideal video pinball input. The lack of HD visuals was a bummer, but that is no longer an issue with the Wii-U. Nik and others have mentioned buying consoles as dedicated TPA machines, and something tells me this could be the one to do that with. Please report back with your findings.

Yes sir I will. Launch will be in a few hours and trust that I will get any good DLC out that day. When TPA drops, I will have all DLC and will comprise a good review compared to the competition worth mentioning at the moment (PS3, 360, iOS, Mac).

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
It appears that companies will not have to pay any $ to Nintendo to issue DLC or game updates through their online store, unlike the current ridiculous Microsoft situation.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
okay, so Mike, anybody at FS, it's launch day (or after midnight at least), got an update for us????

...gotta wait a few days still for my "Siren" (Wii-U-Wii-U-Wii-U) to be delivered...:(

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Guys the WiiU is quite impressive so far. Brandon, I hope you're right about TPA possibly being the best on the WiiU. So far it looks great. I have Super Mario U, ZombieU, Nintendoland, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the launch titles.

mrhorseshoe

Jun 25, 2012
The eShop is actually very well populated for day 1. Sad to see TPA missing. Wii U will definitely be my primary system for pinball now.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, I'm enjoying the system quite a bit, though I'm already hungry for a big Metroid or Zelda game to show what it is fully capable of... can't wait to get Pinball Arcade on there. If they can implement Wiimote/nunchuk support and off-tv display, I will be thrilled.

karl

May 10, 2012
To all you pioneer WII U players, Enjoy your new toy :) and give us more updates on have it works when you have the time in between game-playing.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
FarSight...my daughter and I want to know when we'll be able to play The Pinball Arcade on our shiny new Wii U?

Screen controller for DMD/HUD and Pro controller for gameplay...we can't wait. :D

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Would the Wii-U be able to handle TPA at 1080p?

Also, if thy do utilize the lCD controller they'd better have an option to display the DMD on the TV screen as well.
I can already picture myself losing the ball trying to glance down at my controller while playing! :(

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Would the Wii-U be able to handle TPA at 1080p?

Also, if thy do utilize the lCD controller they'd better have an option to display the DMD on the TV screen as well.
I can already picture myself losing the ball trying to glance down at my controller while playing! :(

Guess the specs are starting to surface and it's disappointingly worse than PS3 and 360 in a lot of areas... though it supposedly has a better GPU. We can hope!

I'm fully with you on the DMD thing. Cool option, but don't force it. I'm still more interested in playing with the wiimote and nunchuk anyway, though it might be neat setting the gamepad up somewhere in sight with the DMD on!

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I'll reserve speculation on the WiiU until we actually see the product if it measures up to the PS3 and 360.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah... I personally don't care. Games look so ridiculously good as it is, and any further improvements will only serve to increase development costs, meaning more and more sequels and studio closures. I prefer the innovation approach and am really hoping that the recent word about Microsoft working on a special controller in addition to Kinnect 2 is true. Sony never really seems to innovate (though I've always enjoyed their consoles), but if they don't do something special with their next Playstation, I have a feeling that they could be putting themselves in a very precarious position.

But hey, I'm a firm believer in the "fun gameplay is more important than graphics" mantra and actually got a lot more enjoyment out of my Wii than my PS3.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'll reserve speculation on the WiiU until we actually see the product if it measures up to the PS3 and 360.

Some of us already have it.

Anyway, I never expected Nintendo to try and have the most powerful console on the market. The certainly came in 3rd in 2006, but I assumed
a new console launching in 2012 would be able to handle 1080p/60fps with ease. It is a little disappointing that 3rd party companies may have to make sacrifices on Nintendo's
console once again.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
the lack of a "post system launch date" update about the Wii U version is really not breeding a lot of belief (on my part at least) that they are all that close to having TPA ready for it, which is, of course, pretty disappointing. Here's hoping they manage to at least have it up (and with at least Packs #1-7) before the end of the year...

I also want to comment on the pronounced lack of faith in the Wii U and in Nintendo present in this thread. Since when does horsepower of a system determine the quality of a game? Why do so many assume that the Wii U will prove to be less powerful/graphically impressive than the PS3 & 360? Don't you think Nintendo is smart enough to have had their hardware designers make sure that it is at very least comparable, so as to be 'no worse than' the competition at the time of launch? I for one am more than anything glad to know that regardless of how hard the games are pushing the system's capabilities, and no matter what those are exactly, that at least this Nintendo system won't output by default a low-res, fuzzy/blurry analog video signal to my nice 1080p TV (like the Wii did). And let's not forget that while some devs (and not necessarily the best devs) are making some little noises about working on the Wii U and their initial impressions of it's strengths and limitations, others are praising it, and 1080p 60fps is the bar they are shooting for, while the vast majority of the games everyone considers the best looking on PS3/360 run at 720p, and most of them at only 30fps. I freely admit the visual difference can be hard to see, but still with the second screen image on the Gamepad, and the slightly higher "expected bar" for output, it's not exactly an even comparison that keeps being made. Will the Wii U keep up with the PS4 & NextBox graphically? Of course not. Is that the only thing that matters? Only to the very shallow.

I can't be the only one who's over the moon to finally get a generation of Nintendo games that are HD. And really, if you're a real (old-school, at least) gamer, does any more than that need said as to why the Wii U should be great?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I agree with most of what is beig said, but comparing a 2012 released console (Wii U) to the PS3 and Xbox 360 (released in 2006) just further proves Nintendo clearly does not have enough power behind it to compete with this what Sony and MS have planned in the near future.

Nintendo seems to do OK with their 1st party titles, but I worry about 3rd party companies who will have to lower their specs in order to run properly on the Wii.

From what I've heard, everything on the PS3 will be required to hit native 1080p/60fps by default, and MS will probably be similar. For people with multiple consoles it makes deciding which version to buy an easy one.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Some of us already have it.

Anyway, I never expected Nintendo to try and have the most powerful console on the market. The certainly came in 3rd in 2006, but I assumed
a new console launching in 2012 would be able to handle 1080p/60fps with ease. It is a little disappointing that 3rd party companies may have to make sacrifices on Nintendo's
console once again.

I was referring to the WiiU's version of TPA. I have the WiiU as well. I guess that's what Hinph meant.

Anyway, it's still too early to say if the WiiU does or doesn't have better graphics than the PS3 or 360. Right now in my honest opinion, the WiiU's games looks on par with the PS3 and 360. I have 6 games including that Batman: AC game and it looks PHENOMENAL!!!

@pseudokings- Well put my friend. Well put. I'm an ol' school gamer ('85-present) and I most certainly agree with everything you said.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.