TPAF Audio Interview With Bobby King (Round 1)

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks Jeff. Lots of good and interesting information in there. I'm really excited about Black Knight.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks Jeff! Great interview and I am sooooooo looking forward to Tee'd Off! So many awesome discoveries and a ton of things to look forward too! That interview should make everyone extremely excited for the future of the Pinball Arcade! My first request of unknown tables for a fan poll is Embryon, Fathom, Solar Fire, and TX-Sector......hey, a guy can wish!

Day

Jan 9, 2013
great interview Jeff.... and that after a night out; you'd never have known.

thanks for conducting the interview and giving Bobby a decent grilling; thanks to Bobby for answering so openly and with barely any noticeable prevarication.

all in all the responses were most encouraging. I'm also thrilled to learn more staffers than Ryan & Mike are engaged followers of the various discussions that happen here and that they'll (forgot the guy's name, sorry) shortly be revisiting recent threads trawling for bug reports to crosscheck & update their buglist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Excellent job Jeff.

I did wince every time Bobby mentioned an update to nagging table issues, always adding "for mobile". I might jump ship from PS3 to PC because of that. At least with the PC there shouldn't be any DLC issues like that.

But thank God they'll at least address Black Knight on the consoles, cuz that really is a blight on all of TPA.

And yes, we need to make some official threads, kind of like what PinWiz does with News and Info, where art and bugs and all those things we want tweaked can be quickly viewed by FarSight. By that I mean, it's not a place for discussion, and once it has been posted once, it is not posted again. Obviously that would take someone culling through various threads to collect and place into one area, which is a headache I'd never volunteer for, but I bet someone is up to the task!!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Excellent interview. Thanks to both of you for participating and addressing some of our concerns.

By the way...on High Speed II: Most experienced players do not take their hand off the right flipper button to shift gear. I usually lift my right leg and use my knee to shift. I'm sure it looks very odd to the uninitiated, but it gets the job done quickly and safely.

And yes, we need to make some official threads, kind of like what PinWiz does with News and Info, where art and bugs and all those things we want tweaked can be quickly viewed by FarSight. By that I mean, it's not a place for discussion, and once it has been posted once, it is not posted again. Obviously that would take someone culling through various threads to collect and place into one area, which is a headache I'd never volunteer for, but I bet someone is up to the task!!
I would be willing. I've been involved in software development for many years and am experienced at distilling user bug reports into actionable items. Plus I have regular access to the physical counterparts of many of TPA's tables, so I can distinguish between TPA issues and actual table errors easily.

I know Mike Reitmeyer had started a few bug compendia for TOTAN and Black Hole, but I'm assuming his official duties must have quickly consumed what little time he had to maintain them. Is that what FarSight would be looking for; a master bug/art issue list for each table? (And maybe one more to cover menu/UI/general problems?)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Well if someones needed to compile i could think of no one better!

I was fonna nominatate you

But you know thatd be rude!

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012

I have been running a thread like that in the PS Vita section since June. It is a pretty tough task since I usually try to validate each bug report to the best of my abilities before I post it. Recently I have been going through and trying to do a clean up as some of the bugs that had been fixed but the only way to discover that is through playing. Hopefully it does help the developers sort out the problems by at least pointing out as many problems as possible. I cannot imagine how tough it must be to keep a software quality catalogue for the entire game.

By the way...on High Speed II: Most experienced players do not take their hand off the right flipper button to shift gear. I usually lift my right leg and use my knee to shift. I'm sure it looks very odd to the uninitiated, but it gets the job done quickly and safely.

That seems like a very effective tactic for dealing with the shifting and hopefully is a good enough explanation to get HS:II included in TPA. :)

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Awsome job guys, Jeff and Bobby you both were excellent. Well the mention of the Gottlieb Rom Emulation (I'm not a huge fan of Gottlieb, but I have a few I like), maybe in the future we could see Cactus Jack, 1812, Rescue 911 (one of my favorite Gottlieb games), nightmare on elm street (if posible), Stargate (also if possible), Surf n Safari, Wipeout, those 7 I would like to see from Gottlieb their are a couple more but may not work, and of course these are rom emulator machines in the late 80's into the 90's. Good to here a bunch of games will be fixed also, I also hope the team does The Getaway: High Speed 2. High Speed wasn't one of my favorites, just like Black Knight I would have preffered Black Knight 2000. Well that's it for me, again thanks for doing this I hope we see more down the line, next time make sure Bobby's awake and fresh ok Jeff.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Gotta say I'm a bit bummed it sounds so difficult to update the console versions. From what I understand from the interview it was just to keep the update size down? Would anyone care how big they are? Does it cost a lot more to make a 800mb update as opposed to a 300mb? Pleeeeeease update some of the oldies :( Toss a few table updates in each until they are a bit less wonky.

Really great interview! Very happy with overall, very happy to hear about Black Knight.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks Jeff for taking the time to do this. Good job on not being pushy about info that Bobby didn't want to divulge.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Great job. Lots of the questions are not easy to ask because they are critical. You did a great job of not shying away but presenting them respectfully and Bobby was fantastic for not sidestepping any of them. Even though it is a longer format, I prefer the audio recording. Gives you more of a complete conversation with the tone and also lengthier bits of info rather than the abridged transcripts.
Once again, thank you for all your efforts and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.