TPAF Audio Interview With Bobby King (Round 1)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Lol the barcade:p

Well theres no reson why not i guess, my log got funky so i hVent done much in months. I just wanted to rwnt and get bleeped:p but yeah guys if your still in lets try to get it done.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Just to clarify on the update issues with consoles.

Sony doesn't allow you to update DLC at all, so the only way to update that DLC is add it to the main game update. This increases the game update size. Once you add to the update, future updates will be that size (or larger)

Microsoft has a 4MB limit to title updates, so it's impossible to put DLC in the title update (as well as any art assets for that matter), so the only way to update is to create new DLC with a new name, and have the app offer to download that. I'm not sure the details of exactly how it's done, it seems they frown upon updating, so they aren't very forthcoming with information on how to do it.

Hopefully both of them come to their senses with the next gen hardware that updates aren't always a bad thing. I'm not really sure why they couldn't have implemented it so if you replace DLC with new content, the app offers to download it, the same way the title update works.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Lol the barcade:p

Well theres no reson why not i guess, my log got funky so i hVent done much in months. I just wanted to rwnt and get bleeped:p but yeah guys if your still in lets try to get it done.
I can hear it now:

Shutyertrap: Heretic, what do you think?

Heretic: (Bleep) those (bleep) (bleep)! All those (bleep) ever (bleep) do is (bleep) (bleep) about why isn't this (bleep) table in (bleep) TPA or why can't (bleep) FarSight (bleep) take some (bleep) time to fix the (bleep) bugs! Don't those (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) know a good (bleep) game when they (bleep) see one?!

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
Delighted with the Windows 8/Steam news here. I hope the Windows 8 release is the full monty rather than a port of the more limited mobile versions.

Sad to hear the "for mobile" comment used so much. It seems like us console owners are being told to make do with what we have got now regarding both physics and table specific bug fixes & graphics. Personally I wouldn't mind a 3gb update if it meant all my tables worked correctly, but as I understand it, Sony charge per MB so it would cost Farsight more. CV in particular really deserves a lot more love on console. Glad I stopped buying on PS3 at table pack 3 now; will sit back and watch with interest how things play out on PC before deciding whether it's worth double dipping.

Thanks for the interview Jeff Strong, it was very illuminating.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I can hear it now:

Shutyertrap: Heretic, what do you think?

Heretic: (Bleep) those (bleep) (bleep)! All those (bleep) ever (bleep) do is (bleep) (bleep) about why isn't this (bleep) table in (bleep) TPA or why can't (bleep) FarSight (bleep) take some (bleep) time to fix the (bleep) bugs! Don't those (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) know a good (bleep) game when they (bleep) see one?!

Oh you read my notes then:p

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh you read my notes then:p

Depending on how thick your accent is though, bleeping may not be needed!

Anybody remember Johnny Dangerously? Where the one character said things like 'farking corksucker' and 'icehole'? Nice way around a PG-13! Anyway, that's how I imagine Hairy talking.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012

Sony doesn't allow you to update DLC at all, so the only way to update that DLC is add it to the main game update. This increases the game update size. Once you add to the update, future updates will be that size (or larger)

Microsoft has a 4MB limit to title updates, so it's impossible to put DLC in the title update (as well as any art assets for that matter), so the only way to update is to create new DLC with a new name, and have the app offer to download that. I'm not sure the details of exactly how it's done, it seems they frown upon updating, so they aren't very forthcoming with information on how to do it.

Hopefully both of them come to their senses with the next gen hardware that updates aren't always a bad thing. I'm not really sure why they couldn't have implemented it so if you replace DLC with new content, the app offers to download it, the same way the title update works.

Thanks for posting that information. I had no idea the limitations Sony put on updating DLC.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Great job Jeff, that was nice to listen to. I was missing out on an update regarding the Wii U, which hopefully has more flexibility regarding DLC and software updates than Microsoft or Sony's consoles given Nintendo's campaign to woo independent developers to their new platform. I'm hopeful we'll see something in the next couple of months!

Nice to hear about Black Knight and Gottlieb emulation too; especially that they got a Centaur - that should be ace!

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012

Hopefully this isn't coming off in a nagging way but would that mean it's still somewhat of a possibility on the PS3? Is there a patch size cap?
Also there are a few games that seem to layer patches as opposed to having them all in one update. Gran Turismo or the old Pain game off the top of my head both do it. I think Pain on a fresh install installs 19 patches of different sizes in a row. Would that be something you could do to get the content in there AND keep the sizes down on future updates?
I'm a bit clueless on the real stuff behind the scenes but just throwing the idea out there.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Then there's Battlefield 3 which has a required patch that's nearly 2.6 gig.

Tabe

That is quite a big one. Biggest I saw was one of the GT5 ones was near 2 I think. If it brought us some improved tables I am totally fine with any size patch you can offer ;)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Hopefully this isn't coming off in a nagging way but would that mean it's still somewhat of a possibility on the PS3? Is there a patch size cap?
Also there are a few games that seem to layer patches as opposed to having them all in one update. Gran Turismo or the old Pain game off the top of my head both do it. I think Pain on a fresh install installs 19 patches of different sizes in a row. Would that be something you could do to get the content in there AND keep the sizes down on future updates?
I'm a bit clueless on the real stuff behind the scenes but just throwing the idea out there.

I'm not all that familiar with Sony's DLC process. I was told that you can't update thier DLC, but only update the main app (which you can include dlc with). However app updates are incremental, so any patch has to contain all previous patches.

Then there's Battlefield 3 which has a required patch that's nearly 2.6 gig.

Tabe

On PC it's 6.5GB, total install is over 30GB.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Great interview, thanks Jeff. So is Tee'd Off any good then?
Yes, it's pretty fun. There's a rude gopher taunting you, and a pretty nice playfield with some cool features, like drop targets that you can knock over to gain entrance to a tunnel, a ramp, a random award spinner, and a mini playfield with a golf-style hole. It's also got an animated critter on top of the backglass (which will likely be lost in translation). Sound familiar? NGG is pretty much the unofficial sequel to this, but this one is still fun regardless. Definitely one of Gottlieb's better tables.

Gottlieb emulation opens up a lot of potential. In addition to an emulated Black Hole, we could potentially also get Class of 1812, Genesis, Haunted House, and many more.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.