Trophies - what's your take?

what feels do you get from the end of trophies?

• feels bad man, but I'll still buy the packs...

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • feels bad.. might hold off on packs until ps4

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • no trophies, no buy!

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Meh.. Whatever, it sucks but who cares?

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • There were trophies?

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
As a fan of pinball I play for the love of the game, but as a PlayStation fan I like collecting trophies. It's a game in itself and adds replay value. I realize how people who don't pay attention to them could care less, but for those of us who enjoy the extra replay value this adds its a big loss.

I will still buy TPA of course, but not on both the PS3 and Kindle Fire HD as I have been. If the Season 3 tables come out without trophy support I will pass on the Pass and just play the Kindle version. So it's only a loss of $29.99 from me... no biggie.

Actually I couldn't care less. :D

Startyde

Nov 1, 2012
Trophies are no different then the advent of the "hard mode" in many games. They are a way to test yourself and to record those who took the time and effort. People tend to bash trophies because they feel left out, when in reality, they are simply another option to increase the appeal of a game. No one should celebrate the removal of features just because you don't partake.

Someone else brought up the point but I'll reiterate, as someone with a PC, Phone, Tablet and PS3 / Vita, I have many options to play Pinball Arcade. I would pay for PS3/ Vita because it was fun to work towards the trophies. But if they're no longer supported, I'll probably just stick to the free versions on mobile until I find the time / interest to pay full price. I'm just one person, but anyone who enjoyed the game for these reasons will think similarly, and it does translate to short term sales.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I guess I'm weird in that I play pinball because I like pinball. If you come across a table in real life, do you not play it because you won't get a virtual pat on the head?

A more appropriate question would be,

If you come across a table in real life, do you not play it because you won't get your initials on the machine for a top 5 score?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
A more appropriate question would be,

If you come across a table in real life, do you not play it because you won't get your initials on the machine for a top 5 score?
Actually, that's the reason why the "reset high score list after X games" operator menu setting was introduced to pinball machines: operators were reporting that players were less likely to put money into a machine if the high scores seemed unachievable to them.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Actually, that's the reason why the "reset high score list after X games" operator menu setting was introduced to pinball machines: operators were reporting that players were less likely to put money into a machine if the high scores seemed unachievable to them.

There are plenty of pinball machines that you can't put your initials on. For so long it was not an option on pinball machines that in my mind I don't associate entering initials with pinball. Since it was an option with video games from the beginning, I associate video games with initials for top scores but not pinball.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Ever try entering initials in Space Invaders or PacMan?

The first arcade game to allow initials was in 1978. By the time video arcades started popping up everywhere in the early eighties initials were pretty standard. Pinball machines were around for many decades before initials were standard.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
The first arcade game to allow initials was in 1978. By the time video arcades started popping up everywhere in the early eighties initials were pretty standard. Pinball machines were around for many decades before initials were standard.

Yes, Asteroids and StarFire, 1979, I realize that. I'm just being a smart@ss.

Last edited:

Primero

Sep 12, 2013
Don't you guys think you should finish earning the rest of the old trophies first before complaining about the lack of new ones? :rolleyes:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Don't you guys think you should finish earning the rest of the old trophies first before complaining about the lack of new ones? :rolleyes:

Yes, unless the rest require 3 million on Genie and Frog Frenzy on RBION! I'd rather have some more fun trophies once again.

Sony and it's Playstation team have been bending over backwards for gamers and small devs a lot lately. Maybe if you guys reach out and politely inquire about making an exception for TPA something good can happen. Some names that you could reach out to include Sid Shuman, Adam Boyes, Shuhei Yoshida, and Ryan Clements.

Great idea man. Thanks for posting this. Weather or not Farsight will see this post or follow up on it remains to be seen, but as you've said Sony seems to be all about the indies lately.

They also seem to be big fans of pinball with all of the promotion of TPA and Zen Pinball on the PSN Blog. Not to mention all of the Free pinball games and DLC they've been giving away for Plus users.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
Gee I bought Oblivion (Which is far better than Skyrim IMO) and Eternal Sonata...neither have trophies. I played VP for years still no trophies. Sure they're nice to get but I don't bend over backwards trying to get every one. I play pinball because I love to play it, with or without trophies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.