Unity3D and VP

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Physics are amazing you can do drop catches, flipper passes, pretty much like FP only with VP physics. Love how everything can be adjusted on the fly so you can see the differences in real time and see how much of a performance hit your PC is taking. Going to post some Dr. Dude video later this week the lighting alone is way better than anything I've ever seen on a pinsim hands down.
It's funny comparing BK2K on this to TPA BK2K. Makes you realise just how much work they need to do in making it feel more realistic. Even without the flipper passes etc., at least the ball speed feels more realistic.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
It's funny comparing BK2K on this to TPA BK2K. Makes you realise just how much work they need to do in making it feel more realistic. Even without the flipper passes etc., at least the ball speed feels more realistic.

Could not agree with you more I've heard that PA is going to make the Steam version better and every time I see it the only thing I really like about it is the large center placed DMD playing in portrait mode. I take it you've played Unity3D ?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Could not agree with you more I've heard that PA is going to make the Steam version better and every time I see it the only thing I really like about it is the large center placed DMD playing in portrait mode. I take it you've played Unity3D ?
Yup. I only fired up BK2K (this was before it hit TPA) and Addams Family and while I couldn't get TAF playing/looking quite like how I wanted, BK2K was quite easy to dial in and fast as hell.

Dare I say it, but if a table uses both formats, I'll be definitely using the Unity version instead. The table just feels so more alive, deadly and fast compared to the TPA one. I just hope that there are a number of talented people working on moving titles across. And of course, the U3D version fully emulates the sounds as well, so there's zero chance that a sample will be cued incorrectly or played back at the wrong speed.

The flippers and everything just feels a lot closer to real than anything virtual I'm yet to play (with the possible exception of the Pro Pinball games, but it's been a while since I've played any of them... and they're not based on real tables).

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
The only table working me for me real nice is Dr. Dude, the other two are not really running at great fps so my performance is taking a big hit. I'm using an Asus M11BB 3.50 GHz 6GB and stock graphics card, I have a 1GB card kicking around and haven't installed it yet. Think I'm going to save some dough for a 2GB card.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
This has been updated in the last few days, with some new tables: Scared Stiff, Indiana Jones (Williams) and I think something else, but I can't recall what it was. Oh, Class of 1892. So you can compare several tables directly with TPA.. and they all blow the TPA tables out of the water, not just in how they play but how good they look. Even down to higher-res playfield components.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Man, this is definitely off to a great start. Love the dark lighting. The phyiscs are pretty good, but seem a bit off at times. For instance, the ball speeds up too quickly while moving down the playfield. Seems a bit unnatural. I noticed my physics FPS drops down into the 40's at times, so that could have something to do with it. I have a 6 core Phenom II, so it's quite demanding, eh?

But yeah, overall, this has massive potential.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Unfortunately I can't even play it on my machine.
Probably the only downside to the Unity3d Pinball I can find.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Unfortunately I can't even play it on my machine.
Probably the only downside to the Unity3d Pinball I can find.

I got it to play on my htpc at a steady 55fps by turning off all reflections bloom etc, and running it in windowed mode. Its off to a really good start as is. Definitely needs a decent machine to use all the eyecandy effects though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I got it to play on my htpc at a steady 55fps by turning off all reflections bloom etc, and running it in windowed mode. Its off to a really good start as is. Definitely needs a decent machine to use all the eyecandy effects though.

Yeah I tried reducing everything. Problem is that my laptop is getting old. It can still play a lot of games but unity is too much for it

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Awesome job. Great scalability and customization. Great graphics, personally a little too much lighting in disco style. Needs more warmth. Don't like the glass effect, makes my eyes tired.
Very promising!!!

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
The tables won't load for me; it keeps looking in my Visual Pinball directory (which is on a different hard drive to boot) for the tables. I've downloaded BK2k and Dr Dude and placed them in the TABLES folder. Is there a way to change the directory?

Edit: Even after uninstalling Visual Pinball, Future Pinball and HyperPin, the tables won't load. There's no error message anymore, but the tables are stuck on a black screen. Pressing the flipper buttons plays a sound, and the fps counter changes. My computer is more than powerful enough to run it. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
This looks amazing! Problem is you need a supercomputer to run it. I have tried this on two separate machines. My desktop, with everything off, gets about 20 fps. My friend with a monster machine that runs cabinet VP with all the bells and whistles perfectly, got about 40 fps with everything off. So, good luck running this on anything but the most top end machine.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
It runs fine on my PC. I don't have to lower the quality. AMD HD7950 GPU.

Replace the vpinmame.dll in the Visual PinMame folder, and reinstall pinmame.
Get the proper ROMs for the tables. The table download page on unit3dpinball.net
tells you which ROMs.

Or read the User Docs -> First Steps.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
It runs fine on my PC. I don't have to lower the quality. AMD HD7950 GPU.

Replace the vpinmame.dll in the Visual PinMame folder, and reinstall pinmame.
Get the proper ROMs for the tables. The table download page on unit3dpinball.net
tells you which ROMs.

Or read the User Docs -> First Steps.
Yes I read the instructions, I have set up VP and FP on several machines. I can get unit3d to run, but not at a playable framerate.

Does anyone know the system requirements for this? I can't seem to find what it takes to get this up to speed.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.