Visual Pinball

N

Nik Barbour

Glad to see vp finally getting some love around here

I only wish I'd persisted with the install when I first found this years ago. (had vista problems at the time - UAC related).
Anyway - got it in now and loving it.
Just like to say thank you to all the creator's for this! Your hard work and passion is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Gotta say that the best VP designers have turned out some absolutely stunning recreations. Completely agree on the JPSalas Black Knight - it feels so much more like the real thing than TPA... and of course it is emulated so the rules are correct. I will check out that T2 version too. Love that game. :)

I really fell out of love with VP after a couple of years. It was around the time that everyone started modding other people's tables and plastering EM reels everywhere. A lot of tables started looking like photos but playing like s**t. Even today I come across tables that have clearly been built by someone with no real knowledge of the real table. There's a VP9 Centaur (not PacDude's) that looks great but is scaled all weirdly and things like the multiball release target are impossible to activate!

Some of the tables that are still knocking around that bear my name are actually other people's mods of my tables and not the originals. I guess that still upsets me a little. Some of the mods were pretty good but some completely messed up what I'd spent weeks getting right. So many seemed to forget that getting it to play accurately was more important than showing off their photoshop skills. Of course, folks have come along since and completely remodelled those tables far better than I could ever have done, and those are the VP tables that I now really enjoy playing. Were it not for the likes of JPSalas and Groni, I would probably have never gone back to it. I'm glad I did. :)

karl

May 10, 2012
Jeff,
I believe so unfortunately. Did not notice before now since I play full screen most of the time. I find most tables looks better when I turn my 24" monitor so I rarely play 16/9 tables anymore.

Uncle Willy,
I think you will find most people here who have played VP lately enjoys it very much, but there will always be a lot of people who think it is to much work or they are just confused by all the different options, twiks and what tables to start with. I remember I tried it ca 10 years ago and gave up on it. Installed it again a year ago and got blown away by it, And love it now. I would like to thank you, Groni and any other creators who might be reading this forum for all your hard work over the years on Visual Pinball. You can all be damn proud of what you have accomplished

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
i have a problem playing vp with a xbox360 pad: for some reason some of the buttons and the left analogue stick are premapped... for example if i press b it triggers the left flipper, if i press y the volume of vp goes down, start button is the same as pressing esc... but the biggest problem is nudging, becouse i cant use the analogue stick with xpadder (which i use to assign keyboard buttons to pad buttons), becouse the right nudge now gets double assigned and it tilts immediatly...

so the question is how do i get rid of premapping of the xbox360 pad?

N

Nik Barbour

Completely agree on the JPSalas Black Knight - it feels so much more like the real thing than TPA... and of course it is emulated so the rules are correct.

I've found this true of emulated TPA tables as well. Taxi is one of the ones I've tried in Real life, TPA, and VP9.
Although emulated in Tpa, JPSalas's VP9 played/felt closer to the real table in my limited experience.

Also played a lot of FH on xbox & Android, then got on a real table 2wks ago, and was disappointed how un similar tpa felt. BOP was the same. The real shuttle ramp didn't feel anything like the shots I was used to making in TPA.

I'd love to know the answer re the xbox controller with VP, I've had the exact same problem.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
i have a problem playing vp with a xbox360 pad: for some reason some of the buttons and the left analogue stick are premapped... for example if i press b it triggers the left flipper, if i press y the volume of vp goes down, start button is the same as pressing esc... but the biggest problem is nudging, becouse i cant use the analogue stick with xpadder (which i use to assign keyboard buttons to pad buttons), becouse the right nudge now gets double assigned and it tilts immediatly...

so the question is how do i get rid of premapping of the xbox360 pad?

I've found this true of emulated TPA tables as well. Taxi is one of the ones I've tried in Real life, TPA, and VP9.
Although emulated in Tpa, JPSalas's VP9 played/felt closer to the real table in my limited experience.

Also played a lot of FH on xbox & Android, then got on a real table 2wks ago, and was disappointed how un similar tpa felt. BOP was the same. The real shuttle ramp didn't feel anything like the shots I was used to making in TPA.

I'd love to know the answer re the xbox controller with VP, I've had the exact same problem.

I see that the new update (9.1.3) from Oct. 20th has this in the release notes:
- Added controller button support to key options for all controllers - Koadic!

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21646

Have you tried that yet?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I think you will find most people here who have played VP lately enjoys it very much, but there will always be a lot of people who think it is to much work or they are just confused by all the different options, twiks and what tables to start with.
It's not that I thought it was too much work, it's that my video card drivers didn't seem to agree with VP very well last time and many tables would BSOD either immediately or after a few minutes. Despite lengthy troubleshooting, I never did get it stabilized.

Maybe I'll try again this weekend with the updated VP and updated drivers.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's not that I thought it was too much work, it's that my video card drivers didn't seem to agree with VP very well last time and many tables would BSOD either immediately or after a few minutes. Despite lengthy troubleshooting, I never did get it stabilized.

Maybe I'll try again this weekend with the updated VP and updated drivers.

I had a lot of problems with my video card on one of my PC's until I enabled hardware rendering in the VP video settings. In the older versions, it wasn't an option in the settings, but you had to enable it on a table by table basis....so that's something that may possibly help.

N

Nik Barbour

Mentioned it earlier in this thread - but 16bit colour, and using full screen (not windowed) fixed the stability issues I was experiencing.

karl

May 10, 2012
hardware rendering is a must. Had lots of problems before I used that.

Serenseven, there is also a 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Very handy if you are using 64 bit windows. Windows normally only uses 2 gb ram for games. This patch lets you use 4 gb in selected x86 applications. Good for the more demanding tables in vp

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

For newer machines, yes. It's an absolute necessity for my desktop, but my older laptop couldn't handle it and VP is only playable with it OFF. I also had to limit the Max Texture Dimensions to 1024 px.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Sadly, I uninstalled it because I thought Pinball Arcade would be great for my laptop (3.2 rating for gaming; don't know if it's good). Might as well reinstall it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I had hardware rendering on. It would be a grievous insult to the pair of GTX 480s to not use hardware rendering. :p

Serenseven, there is also a 4gb patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Very handy if you are using 64 bit windows. Windows normally only uses 2 gb ram for games. This patch lets you use 4 gb in selected x86 applications. Good for the more demanding tables in vp
There are tables that need more than 2 GB?! That seems a bit excessive for a pinball table.

karl

May 10, 2012
I believe you do not need to worry about graphic card limitations then ;) I had trouble with a few tables before installing the patch.(Corvette was one of them) I could be imagining thinks but to me every thing seems to run more smooth after I installed it. I believe the higher textures on some of the newer tables use a lot of RAM (on thin ice here, know very little about the tech side of things)

N

Nik Barbour

Was supposed to be doing some prep for a meeting tomorrow - but blew it off to try VP9.1.3.
Also got Uncle Reamus T2, And Jacks Open.
Tried 9.1.3 with an old sidewinder pad, and yes you can now configure vp to respond to the buttons without a joypad interface program.
Not tried analogue nudging yet with xbox controller.

T2 plays beautifully, and Jacks Open is awesome (I'm going to play the cr@p out of that one).

Just noticed on these 2 tables, if holding a flipper up, you get a slight flipper deflection when the ball hits it with sufficient force - Love it, it's the small things in life that give pleasure! :D

Only slight wish is.... I wish the table would move more (on the screen - not in the simulation) when nudging. I get a better sense of how much I'm nudging in TPA. Don't know if this is adjustable?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts