When can we expect the next PS4 patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
Some tables like CFTBL or TZ don't look near as good and exactly why can BK or Gorgar be emulated yet? I really like TPA but I have seen some kick-ass things from supposed amateurs in VP. We are being gimped. Too many platforms to expose the PS4's power. Not too mention we're getting pretty far behind. I wonder if the Xbone can handle 1080p? :rolleyes:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Some tables like CFTBL or TZ don't look near as good and exactly why can BK or Gorgar be emulated yet? I really like TPA but I have seen some kick-ass things from supposed amateurs in VP. We are being gimped. Too many platforms to expose the PS4's power. Not too mention we're getting pretty far behind. I wonder if the Xbone can handle 1080p? :rolleyes:

I hate to break it to you but with the exception of one or two tables which show essentially high rez static imagery, cartoony bloom flashes for lighting and nothing for ball reflections, nothing in vp even compares visually to TPA on ps4. Especially when playing in desktop orientation.

Yes the xb1 can handle 1080p. Some games used 720p to facilitate ps4 ports without having to optimize much for hardware. And for most games the difference between 720p and 1080p is minute unless you're so preoccupied with it that you're playing spot the pixel rather than viewing the entire screen. Though pinball is one of those games that greatly benefit from the higher resolution due to the importance of minute detail like small lettering and stuff.

PS4 also plays radically differently from the other versions.

Feb 19, 2014
I think the difference between 720 and 1080 is pretty big. I used to think 720 was just fine but after playing a lot of ps4 it's very hard to go back. I finally understand what PC gamers have been preaching for a while.

I can even notice 900p vs 1080. 900p is a noticeable improvement over 720 by itself, but is not as crisp as 1080. Talking about Battlefield 4 which is 900p on ps4.

That said the Xbox won't have any trouble doing 1080 for pinball arcade. I'd be more concerned with can it do the same level of lighting as the ps4 version without making compromises. Given that Farsight is promising both season 1 and 2 so quickly for Xbox one makes me wonder if they are just porting over the old 360 code without much improvement.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2014
With that said, if I were an Xbox one owner, I'd want Farsight to match ps4 lighting even if that means dropping resolution to 720. The new lighting just adds an entirely new dimension to the game.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
I hate to break it to you but with the exception of one or two tables which show essentially high rez static imagery, cartoony bloom flashes for lighting and nothing for ball reflections, nothing in vp even compares visually to TPA on ps4. Especially when playing in desktop orientation.

Yes the xb1 can handle 1080p. Some games used 720p to facilitate ps4 ports without having to optimize much for hardware. And for most games the difference between 720p and 1080p is minute unless you're so preoccupied with it that you're playing spot the pixel rather than viewing the entire screen. Though pinball is one of those games that greatly benefit from the higher resolution due to the importance of minute detail like small lettering and stuff.

PS4 also plays radically differently from the other versions.

The XB's throughput is 1.31 teraflops. 44% less than the PS4. I had the XB1 and traded my son for his PS4. Alsog PL has it reversed BF4 runs in 1080p on the PS4. The first season of TPA didn't really get rolling until pack #10. I just hope some of the others In addition to the tables I listed Monster Bash's playfield can look loads better. I really want to see some new tables. That's it. Now I truly know the delay reason(s). Those guys on VP do it in their spare time and do a good job. Anything pre-VP9 had no hardware rendering at all. It was purely CPU. If you're going to judge let's see you do better. They don't have the pins right in front of them !I am not going to debate the consoles. I have made my point and am done replying to this thread (or reading it).

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The XB's throughput is 1.31 teraflops. 44% less than the PS4. I had the XB1 and traded my son for his PS4. Alsog PL has it reversed BF4 runs in 1080p on the PS4. The first season of TPA didn't really get rolling until pack #10. I just hope some of the others In addition to the tables I listed Monster Bash's playfield can look loads better. I really want to see some new tables. That's it. Now I truly know the delay reason(s). Those guys on VP do it in their spare time and do a good job. Anything pre-VP9 had no hardware rendering at all. It was purely CPU. If you're going to judge let's see you do better. They don't have the pins right in front of them !I am not going to debate the consoles. I have made my point and am done replying to this thread (or reading it).

I have to do better to make a comparison? Good thing you are the authority on who can opine. Thank god you aren't here to have your opinion rebutted or anything. You said that amateurs in their spare time are making a better product and I beg to differ, but you seem to think I said vp sucks or something. Maybe tour range of thinking is so narrow as to be if something isn't the absolute best then it's garbage but some of us have slightly more complex scales.

But then again, I really don't care if you reply or not either.

I also realize that a lot of authors there value physics over looks or else they would be using future pinball which looks magnitudes better but even with the user modified physics simply doesn't play that well.

Don't assume that TPA is the only game I've played. I've been a financial supporter of vpforums for almost 5 years and I was a financial backer for the unity3d project as well. Maybe I don't make tables but I suppose I can say what I want about either, especially in comparison to another product.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

Oh and according to techradar:

"The opposite is true when it comes to the graphics processor. PS4 boasts a 1.84 teraflop GPU that's based on AMD's Radeon technology. Xbox One graphics chip, also with an AMD Radeon GPU, has a pipeline for 1.31 teraflops."

First off. You cite stats for the gpu only and i don't know what kind of magic math you learned but that isn't a 44% difference. Closer to 29% strictly by the numbers.

Another thing you fail to account for is that the gpu is simply one part of the system and I'm not debating whether the PS4 is more powerful or not because by the numbers it is, but you are inflating that difference by a fair bit with dubious numbers, and a clear misunderstanding of how computer systems work.

You can put a fast graphics card into a core2 duo based machine and a slightly slower graphics card into an i7 based machine and you will most likely get better performance out of the i7 based machine simply because the overall data bus will be faster. We're talking about front side busses, dma channels and all that other stuff they don't teach people anymore in computer classes.

But I'm willing to bet that if you had two identical televisions running the same game on both systems with an identically made third party controller (in theory or if you had to watch someone else play) and had to leave the room so someone could randomly switch or not switch video feeds you would probably not pass the Pepsi challenge between which was the xbox one version of most games vs the PS4 version. Unless of course, like TPA where looking at small details is actually important.

Go ahead though. Don't reply to or read this thread anymore like you say and spare us your "facts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.