Which Season 1 table would you most like to see given a tune-up?

Which Season 1 table needs a tune-up?

• Attack from Mars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Shot Deluxe

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Black Hole

• Black Knight

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Bride of Pinbot

• Cirqus Voltaire

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon

• Elvira and the Party Monsters

• Funhouse

• Genie

• Gorgar

• Harley Davidson

• Medieval Madness

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Monster Bash

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • No Good Gophers

• Ripley's Believe It or Not!

• Scared Stiff

• Star Trek: The Next Generation

• Tales of the Arabian Nights

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Taxi

• Theater of Magic

• Twilight Zone

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Black Knight needs more than a tune-up, it needs to be made to work properly, period.

That said, almost all of the tables could do with a makover - starting with higher-res scans of the playfields and other components.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I think the ramps are too easy on just about every table.

I'd say Medieval Madness with Twilight Zone being second.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
MM, TZ and STTNG. They are so abusable it's not funny, which is a shame on such good tables. CV and Ripley's are buggy and could use a lot of love. BK is also buggy but personally I'm not going to play it anyway. FH, BoP and SS are way too safe. Most season 1 tables could be much better. Only Genie and Big Shot feel close to the real thing.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Circus Voltaire did so,etching strange to me today. After killing the ringmaster the second time in a game I got (forget exact terminology) but basically a free for all with multi balls but the image stayed on the plunger but a far away view and flippers would not work, only plunger and there were no balls in the plunger lane. Very strange.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I kind of looked at this purely from a physics tuning viewpoint. To look at anything else makes Black Knight the clear choice. Anywho, I went with Theatre of Magic. It just feels off, whether from being too floaty, or how the ball comes off the flipper. The real machine can be brutal, especially with getting the ball in the slot of the cube.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Anywho, I went with Theatre of Magic. It just feels off, whether from being too floaty, or how the ball comes off the flipper. The real machine can be brutal, especially with getting the ball in the slot of the cube.
Really? Every Theatre of Magic I've ever played has always been pretty mild-mannered, enough so that if I'm introducing someone to real pinball I make a point of finding that machine to be their first so they don't get too frustrated and never play again (which I've seen happen with Medieval Madness).

The hard part is finding one with a working Trunk. That thing always seems to be broken or in the process of breaking on real machines.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Really? Every Theatre of Magic I've ever played has always been pretty mild-mannered, enough so that if I'm introducing someone to real pinball I make a point of finding that machine to be their first so they don't get too frustrated and never play again (which I've seen happen with Medieval Madness).

The hard part is finding one with a working Trunk. That thing always seems to be broken or in the process of breaking on real machines.

You've clearly played different ToMs to me. Every one I've come across has been nasty, and the Trunk in particular is a drain-o-matic shot.

Also, would one of yourself or syt please change your avatar 'cos they're both the same and it looks like you're quoting your own post :D

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I usually find the real ToM more than fair. But the TPA version is still much easier than a real one. For me the trunk shot is easier to hit in real life, but much more dangerous.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
They all need massive tune-ups IMO, and have needed them for years. But BK needs it the most. I would more easily forgive the poorly done graphics if the gameplay itself wasn't so broken.
That's the one I voted for, even though CV and Gorgar need them good and proper as well.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
The clear answer is Black Knight. The PHOF version was far superior. Fewer game-ending bugs, more accurate magna-save, and it doesn't make the kickout "brrrt" sound when you plunge the ball to the upper playfield like in TPA. I still don't get why that's there.

I usually find the real ToM more than fair. But the TPA version is still much easier than a real one. For me the trunk shot is easier to hit in real life, but much more dangerous.

I don't think I have ever managed to make the 100 million trunk shot at the start of multiball in TPA.

The first time I ever played a real TOM, I did it on my very first game.

Last edited:

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
I voted for CV, I have had more balls flying out of that table then most of the others that I played, it also sometimes seems to not register a ball lock that is made by the ringmaster. One other strange thing I noticed, it could be a general TPA issue, is that sometimes the shoot again light is on when on 3rd ball yet game does end when it drains.

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
I agree, that most tables of season 1 need more or less polishing. But Black Knight has in some ways a really broken gameplay, which had to be fixed soon (which in terms of FS means in between the next two years?).

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Black Knight could use some work, but then all the emulatable tables that are scripted could stand to benefit from emulation. As for just noticeable bugs, I'd have to go with Cirqus Voltaire. Right now, the plunger cam doesn't work with one ball locked on the highwire, the second ball on the highwire doesn't settle properly, the judges during the end-of-ball bonus are always the same, and a number of other little nits. Sean Don Carlos kept a nice list of them. It's a beautiful table that just needs these few little wrinkles worked out.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
The other giant bug in Cirqus Voltaire is the camera locking on the backglass after Cannonball Run. I've lost multiple 800M-plus games that way. It's unplayable until that is fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.