Which tables are NOT a possibility?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Oh, and pseudokings, I never said big licenses like Addams Family and Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure wouldn't happen. In fact, I just told someone today that if I were betting good money on FarSight's next licensing pursuits, those two would be the highest priority. I EXPECT FarSight to try for those. That is their responsibility, as they have laid the groundwork for licenses like that to actually be viable. Pursuing Capcom and Atari is not a responsibility; it would be going above and beyond only once the higher-priority Williams, Bally, Gottlieb, Stern, Data East, and Sega tables have been exhausted.

Again, just my opinion. I respect yours and am not trying to be argumentative.

I get where you're coming from. We're cool as far as I'm concerned, I just want them to try to get us not only the best tables possible, but a really cool array of examples (1sts/landmarks, oddities, other makers) that go along with their "preserving pinball" theme, and to not just lineup 40 straight Bally-Williams and Gottlieb that don't have any license issues because they are the easiest to make happen. Don't get me wrong, most of the best games are Bally-Williams, but as much as I'd probably dig Dr. Who (as you pointed out, it's just not worth it), or Comet (would sooooo rather have Cyclone), I don't want them to decide the fan base is okay with them not even trying to work a deal to do Pirates or Tron, just because, "oh Disney will ask for too much". Probably true, but that doesn't mean we don't want them to at least find out if it's really true, or just what everyone assumes. It all boils down to "never tell someone you don't expect them to do something you really do expect them to", because basically everybody takes the easy road, once they know they can.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I get where you're coming from. We're cool as far as I'm concerned, I just want them to try to get us not only the best tables possible, but a really cool array of examples (1sts/landmarks, oddities, other makers) that go along with their "preserving pinball" theme, and to not just lineup 40 straight Bally-Williams and Gottlieb that don't have any license issues because they are the easiest to make happen. Don't get me wrong, most of the best games are Bally-Williams, but as much as I'd probably dig Dr. Who (as you pointed out, it's just not worth it), or Comet (would sooooo rather have Cyclone), I don't want them to decide the fan base is okay with them not even trying to work a deal to do Pirates or Tron, just because, "oh Disney will ask for too much". Probably true, but that doesn't mean we don't want them to at least find out if it's really true, or just what everyone assumes. It all boils down to "never tell someone you don't expect them to do something you really do expect them to", because basically everybody takes the easy road, once they know they can.

All that being said, I do agree that Cyclone would be better than Comet, Doctor Who would only be worth a shot once FarSight has put a respectable dent in other licensed IPs, and since the original TRON remains one of my favorite films of all time I would certainly LIKE FarSight to shoot for Legacy's inclusion. I understand if FarSight continues to optimize production cost versus profit by pairing expensive licenses with originals from their PHoF collections, but the important thing is that they CONTINUE to include those licensed tables. If we get Scared Stiff, I'm okay with it getting packed with Haunted House (a Gottlieb original that I love, but costs FS no additional licensing money). If we get an updated Victory from the Gottlieb collection, I would hope that it gets packed with another anticipated table like The Getaway: High Speed II. And if Firepower gets ported from the Williams Collection, I hope FarSight will consider cool possible pairings like Buck Rogers [Gottlieb 1980]. So yes, we're on the same page.

Oh, and as another good example - I would really like to see Krull from Gottlieb, 1983. Sure, Gottlieb only made 10 machines and cancelled mass production after the movie flopped at the box office, but it was a unique table that very few people ever got to play. Following Haunted House in 1982, it was among the first tables to have a three-level playfield, and its reduction lens that made the underground section look deceptively deep was considered revolutionary at the time. Its rarity and unique features should make it more interesting to include in TPA, despite it never having a chance to reach players' Top 40 or Pinside's/IPDB's ratings. The Krull license should be fairly easy to acquire, or at least MUCH simpler than Star Trek or Twilight Zone. As you said, we need to see some underground favorites, some rare tables that few players have touched, and some landmarks that were important to the industry. So far, I think we're seeing evidence that FS is shooting for the same goal. After all, Gorgar rarely shows up on a Top 100, but it is historically significant as being the first pinball machine with a voice.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
All that being said, I do agree that Cyclone would be better than Comet, Doctor Who would only be worth a shot once FarSight has put a respectable dent in other licensed IPs, and since the original TRON remains one of my favorite films of all time I would certainly LIKE FarSight to shoot for Legacy's inclusion. I understand if FarSight continues to optimize production cost versus profit by pairing expensive licenses with originals from their PHoF collections, but the important thing is that they CONTINUE to include those licensed tables. If we get Scared Stiff, I'm okay with it getting packed with Haunted House (a Gottlieb original that I love, but costs FS no additional licensing money). If we get an updated Victory from the Gottlieb collection, I would hope that it gets packed with another anticipated table like The Getaway: High Speed II. And if Firepower gets ported from the Williams Collection, I hope FarSight will consider cool possible pairings like Buck Rogers [Gottlieb 1980]. So yes, we're on the same page.

Oh, and as another good example - I would really like to see Krull from Gottlieb, 1983. Sure, Gottlieb only made 10 machines and cancelled mass production after the movie flopped at the box office, but it was a unique table that very few people ever got to play. Following Haunted House in 1982, it was among the first tables to have a three-level playfield, and its reduction lens that made the underground section look deceptively deep was considered revolutionary at the time. Its rarity and unique features should make it more interesting to include in TPA, despite it never having a chance to reach players' Top 40 or Pinside's/IPDB's ratings. The Krull license should be fairly easy to acquire, or at least MUCH simpler than Star Trek or Twilight Zone. As you said, we need to see some underground favorites, some rare tables that few players have touched, and some landmarks that were important to the industry. So far, I think we're seeing evidence that FS is shooting for the same goal. After all, Gorgar rarely shows up on a Top 100, but it is historically significant as being the first pinball machine with a voice.

I'd love a Scared Stiff and Haunted House pack (not quite as much as I'd like SS & Elvira paired, as they really are a pair). Victory and The Getaway sounds good. I think they will pair AFM with Firepower. Personally, I find basically nothing appealing about Firepower, but since AFM is amazing... I'd rather they paired it with Space Shuttle if they have to go with a Williams PHOF table. Oh, and after watching some video, I know people say that Hurricane is basically just Cyclone with a couple more bells and whistles, but I'm all for a couple more bells and whistles, so (upon further review) I'm hoping for Hurricane over Cyclone, over Comet.

If they do Krull, I want Kingpin:). The Pinball Circus would be nice too while we're dreaming. And I think that if they can manage to cut a deal to do any Capcom tables, BBB should be doable. It's expensive, but there's always one on eBay. That said, I'll take Pinball Magic over BBB any day.

All of this speculation and dreaming brings me back to this question though: Were the hell are White Water and Fish Tales? Everybody wants them, they don't have any extra license issues, so why haven't FS at least given us a wink and a nod that they're coming eventually?

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I'd love a Scared Stiff and Haunted House pack (not quite as much as I'd like SS & Elvira paired, as they really are a pair). Victory and The Getaway sounds good. I think they will pair AFM with Firepower. Personally, I find basically nothing appealing about Firepower, but since AFM is amazing... I'd rather they paired it with Space Shuttle if they have to go with a Williams PHOF table. Oh, and after watching some video, I know people say that Hurricane is basically just Cyclone with a couple more bells and whistles, but I'm all for a couple more bells and whistles, so (upon further review) I'm hoping for Hurricane over Cyclone, over Comet.

If they do Krull, I want Kingpin:). The Pinball Circus would be nice too while we're dreaming. And I think that if they can manage to cut a deal to do any Capcom tables, BBB should be doable. It's expensive, but there's always one on eBay. That said, I'll take Pinball Magic over BBB any day.

All of this speculation and dreaming brings me back to this question though: Were the hell are White Water and Fish Tales? Everybody wants them, they don't have any extra license issues, so why haven't FS at least given us a wink and a nod that they're coming eventually?

White Water and Fish Tales are practically a foregone conclusion. They WILL happen. It's just a question of when. Personally, I think White Water will be one of the first Williams tables FS does after they finish re-releasing PHoF tables. I would love to see Swords of Fury next, but White Water is such a huge favorite that it'll happen sooner than later.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

Don't forget that acquisition can be as much of a determinant as anything else. They might have made Victory, not because it's a top rated or historically significant table (it's neither), but because they were able to pick one up cheap.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Don't forget that acquisition can be as much of a determinant as anything else. They might have made Victory, not because it's a top rated or historically significant table (it's neither), but because they were able to pick one up cheap.

I give Victory a bit more credit than that, but you're right, the rarity of certain tables does make them unlikely. And when you look at it that way, both Krull and The Pinball Circus are probably out.

No offense, but I can't stand that Pinball Circus monstrosity... I tried playing it at a local arcade years ago, and I just don't think it would be appropriate for TPA. I think I'd prefer to see Orbitor 1 before that gets considered.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
On that subject, how am I supposed to believe that there were only two Pinball Circus units made when one was clearly at Frankie's Funpark in Columbia, SC in 1995? Unless of course there were a few thousand prototypes that no one counts...?

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012
I think Doctor Who would cost way too much since you'd have to get the rights to all seven of the main actors and not to mention the other cast like The Master and The Dalaks who's voices are also in the game. People in another thread were talking about Data East tables, but the only non-licensed tables I can think of are Checkpoint and Time Machine. Everything else was a movie, same with Sega. Guns And Roses is pretty much DOA and I think it'd be too much for Tommy even though I'd love to play that with everything working on it.

Since they couldn't get two of the songs in Creature I hope they don't run into that problem if they decide to bring High Speed II since it's got La Grange as the one and only song in the game. It wouldn't be the same without the ZZ Top in the game.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
We'll most likely never see Dirty Harry either. Probably an expensive license. But it's a nice table with plenty of interesting shots to make, many cool modes, and some of the best and most recognizable call outs from movie history. This table on TPA would make my day (sorry couldn't help myself).

Yes! Unexpectedly great game. It doesn't look like it should be that good but the ruleset and layout work together brilliantly.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Since they couldn't get two of the songs in Creature I hope they don't run into that problem if they decide to bring High Speed II since it's got La Grange as the one and only song in the game. It wouldn't be the same without the ZZ Top in the game.

Oh wow, really? That bothers me a little, Which two songs? and what happens when they are supposed to play during gameplay? replaced with another song? silence?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I think Doctor Who would cost way too much since you'd have to get the rights to all seven of the main actors and not to mention the other cast like The Master and The Dalaks who's voices are also in the game. People in another thread were talking about Data East tables, but the only non-licensed tables I can think of are Checkpoint and Time Machine. Everything else was a movie, same with Sega. Guns And Roses is pretty much DOA and I think it'd be too much for Tommy even though I'd love to play that with everything working on it.

I'm pretty sure Checkpoint uses a license from Porsche, which can be hard to acquire due to EA's stranglehold on it. It took months for Turn 10 (owned by Microsoft) to get Porsche in Forza 4.

Also, HSII does feature other music, specifically a remake of the original game's chase theme during multiball.

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012
Oh wow, really? That bothers me a little, Which two songs? and what happens when they are supposed to play during gameplay? replaced with another song? silence?

"Get a Job" and "Ain't No Cure For The Summertime Blues" were cut due to licencing. The game picks three songs a day out of six and you get a different song per ball. They say the game is supposed to have "Rock Around The Clock" but I've never heard it on the iPad/iPod version, yet some people on Droid say they get it for the third ball. Right now the game just cycles through two songs, "Hand Jive" and "Red River Rock". It doesn't effect the game in anyway. It does get a little annoying because as you collect extra ball it keeps playing "Red River Rock" over and over again.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Also, HSII does feature other music, specifically a remake of the original game's chase theme during multiball.
Music composed specifically for the game is most often work for hire (meaning they forfeit all royalty rights to the company) unless the person is famous enough or has enough clout to demand a separate agreement.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
After checking the IPDB , I found out in Europe they had a version of Playboy Pinball '78 , called Sexy Girl , everything the same setup wise , but with new playfield art , and where the Playboy Key was in the middle they added a TV screen that shows off a naked lady when you get bonuses . So you can add Sexy Girl to the pinballs you will never see list .

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.