Windows 10

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
It was part of the original purchase. Announced by farsight, but it just didn't quite make it into the release with just minor delay of over a year.
Apparently pinball is mostly played by old people with crappy computers and legacy windows version, so the pressure wasn't very high to switch to a state of the art engine.

hitman12

Jun 11, 2014
Don't take it very seriously,we got greatest digital pinball simulation and i think it could be only better if Farsight utilize advantages of DX12.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
We may be paying, but considering how much we pay, and since we got DX11 support and the constant updates and fixes, i don't think it is too much for us a customers to show FS some praise over their continued support of the game, and in turn they continue to support and improve the game we love, it is a symbiosis that as far as i can see has worked so far. ;)

Good call.

Thanks Farsight! :)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
We may be paying, but considering how much we pay

Well I purchased all the seasons on the Vita which is a pretty rough and bug filled version. I also purchased the first 3 seasons on PS4, but that one turned out just about as bad and with sound I couldn't stand to listen to so I deleted it. Now I've purchased all 4 seasons on the PC and it's pretty good. So altogether I've probably spent more on this single game (290-300 bucks or so?) than any other game ever and I've been gaming since the 2600.

That makes it the most expensive game I've ever owned by far.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Well I purchased all the seasons on the Vita which is a pretty rough and bug filled version. I also purchased the first 3 seasons on PS4, but that one turned out just about as bad and with sound I couldn't stand to listen to so I deleted it. Now I've purchased all 4 seasons on the PC and it's pretty good. So altogether I've probably spent more on this single game (290-300 bucks or so?) than any other game ever and I've been gaming since the 2600.

That makes it the most expensive game I've ever owned by far.

Hmm I've bought pretty much the same amount of tables as you (android, PC and ps3). It might be the most expensive game I own as well. But then I thought about it. I have bought every "Pro Evolution Soccer" released, but the latest one, even the ones from back when it was called ISS. I think that makes it 16 versions in total. I think I've spent more on that game. And I have bought every Tony Hawk's pro skater released, and some duplicates on Dreamcast. And the remastered HD version on ps3. Hmm could be more spent on that game as well. There are a couple other series I've spent money on as well.

I think it's hard to compare the structures of games today and the past. But I know for sure Pinball Arcade has massive replay value!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Jup, better calculate per table or per hour played, then it comes pretty cheap.
Or compare it to going to the arcade or owning a real pinball.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've spent well over $120 on The Simpsons Tapped Out! That's been about $1 a week for 2 years. Talk about drip-drip-drip.

However TPA is currently winning...
- 4 full-price Pro seasons on PC comes to $160 (and Season 5 will make it $200).
- 2 half-price non-Pro seasons on Android comes to $30.
- 1 or 2 tables from Season 3 (for the life of me I don't remember buying Junk Yard for Android, but apparently I own it so I must have?) is another $10. Or maybe $5. Who knows.

That comes to $195-$200 spent on TPA.

I suppose I should also count the $150 for the Kickstarter for TAF, so it's $345-$350 in total.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Damn... I forgot about the kickstarter. Add $100 for that too (never, ever again though) so my total spent is actually about $400

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've spent more on Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Between instruments and all the game titles, I'm sure of it. And yes I put it in the same category even though there were multiple games released, because you could import the songs (for another fee) into one game. That makes it different from say owning all of Uncharted or God of War. Or does it? Because I scooped GoW up on each release including the PSP games, same as I would have TPA.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Apparently pinball is mostly played by old people with crappy computers and legacy windows version

1391151_low_raised_hand.jpg

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Well at least the windows part confirmed by official steam statistics posted by Mike r. At least in my memory.

What I implied was that you can't expect the usual state of the art gamer rig from typical pinball people. Despite that the hardware demands are equal to shooters and so. Game nerd just know/accept that you need proper hardware to get proper performance and looks from a game.

Last edited:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
What I implied was that you can't expect the usual state of the art gamer rig from typical pinball people. Despite that the hardware demands are equal to shooters and so. Game nerd just know/accept that you need proper hardware to get proper performance and looks from a game.

Heh, CPU wise there honestly hasn't been much improvement in PC desktops since Sandy Bridge. The driver of markets now is increasingly low power / laptop / mobile. There have been some improvements in GPU of course but TPA doesn't need the latest generation to do fine. So decent desktop hardware can do fine even slightly old with the DX11 version, and if not there's always the DX9 version.

DirectX version development probably will be done in tandem with Xbox console improvements so they can grab two markets at once. DX9 is the basis of the Xbox 360. DX11 is the basis of the Xbox One. DX12 is supposedly coming to Xbox One as well, but who knows whether Windows 10 will be a hit or not, Windows 8 certainly hasn't really unseated Windows 7 yet.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Heh, CPU wise there honestly hasn't been much improvement in PC desktops since Sandy Bridge. The driver of markets now is increasingly low power / laptop / mobile.

Quite right. ChromeOS is grabbing a significant chunk of the market share, especially in the cheap end of the notebook market. I suspect a lot of it is driven by the college market.

There have been some improvements in GPU of course but TPA doesn't need the latest generation to do fine. So decent desktop hardware can do fine even slightly old with the DX11 version, and if not there's always the DX9 version.

GPUs are currently in the part of the cycle where the manufacturers are making incremental improvements to their current lines (AMD in particular may seem to be coming out with new cards... until you look closely and see that they're just re-branded versions of previous cards). Wait a year or so for the next drop in die size and big jumps in power.

DirectX version development probably will be done in tandem with Xbox console improvements so they can grab two markets at once. DX9 is the basis of the Xbox 360. DX11 is the basis of the Xbox One. DX12 is supposedly coming to Xbox One as well, but who knows whether Windows 10 will be a hit or not, Windows 8 certainly hasn't really unseated Windows 7 yet.

DX12 is still new, Windows 10 is still new. However I fully expect the free upgrade path from Windows 7 to be a success. People like free stuff. Publicity-wise, this is a great move from Microsoft that will help them engage back with a user base who were frustrated by Windows 8/8.1 and didn't pay to upgrade.

It also helps that they're consolidating the OS over all platforms - mobile, XBOX, and PC - which will help them in terms of pushing updates and keeping focused.

It's too early to see how Windows 10 is selling, and the upgrades are still rolling out. In 6 months there will be a decent picture.

Anyway - as far as DX12 support in TPA goes, I'd not hold my breath. There aren't many titles out there that currently support DX12, even new titles. I wouldn't expect that until XONE supports it.

hitman12

Jun 11, 2014
No need to roll back to previous OS,for me TPA is working very well on Win10 but i'm using Nvidia gpu,assuming he's got AMD,there are problems with drivers for AMD gpu's on Win10.

Last edited:

Darkmiss

Jun 17, 2013
on a fresh install of Windows 10, make sure you...

1: have the full drivers for your GPU installed. (not the ones installed by windows update)

2: have Microsoft Visual C++ installed (installing steam should do this for you)

3: download and run the DirectX web installer.

after that all should be fine.

Last edited:

mdscales

Jun 2, 2015
Meant to follow-up. Verifying files and gpu drivers did not resolve. Deleting local files and reinstalling did fix. I'm back in! Thanks for suggestions.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I feel like very few people here actually understand DX12. Firstly, DX12 is NOT a replacement for DX11, they are both going to operate concurrently, which is a first. They have different traits and that is why this will be the first time a version of DX isn't designed to replace the later.

DX12 runs faster, yes, it runs 'closer to metal' but this comes at a cost, the developers themselves have to better tweak the software to support a wider range of hardware. There's less abstraction to ensure full compatibility between software and hardware. This means there will be a development cost and FarSight isn't a company that has near bottomless technical resources. DX12 offers no new features, it won't 'look better' it will just run faster at that cost of compatibility and developer resources. (This is why all DX11 cards can run DX12 code.)

DX11 will be more compatible, easier to code for and look just as pretty as DX12.

So anyone's constant demands for DX12 come from a place of ignorance as to what DX12 even really is. It would be MORONIC for a developer the size of FarSight to move to DX12. They won't do it for the Xbox One because the Xbox One already works FINE with DX11 so it'd be foolish to spend resources to invest resources in something that won't actually improve the game on Xbox One. The PC isn't a large market and again, you can run DX11 pretty well on any current midrange card.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts