Zaccaria Pinball - Update v1.3

night

May 18, 2012
Hot Wheels looks very good! When compared to the real table, flippers look too large, but maybe this is a shot from the Arcade mode? I also noticed a little graphics inconsistency: the road on the left side outlane ends in grass, while it does not on the real table: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3164&picno=17751&zoom=1

One more thing that comes to mind. The lights under the plastic ramps/bumpers/objects of this and other tables (Farfalla) are in some places very bright, to a point where you can't see the artwork, just overblown light. This might be the case when you take a photograph of a real table, cameras don't have the same dynamic range as the human eye. A photograph will show this overblown lights for sure. If this brightness of the lights could be adjusted with a menu slider, then I personally would tune it down a little, to a point you can still see a bit of the artwork. (The swan in Farfalla is just blown-out white for example.)

Anyway, I am very curious about the table glasses and the dirty textue options! It promise to be a great new update for sure.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
The lights under the plastic ramps/bumpers/objects of this and other tables (Farfalla) are in some places very bright, to a point where you can't see the artwork, just overblown light...

+1 Totally agree with this. You can even see it in the plastics of Hotwheels. It's such a pity because the blown highlights totally destroy the beautiful artwork. It's like someone went a little crazy with the glow tool in Photoshop ;)

night

May 18, 2012
Back to the flippers, I am not sure about the size, but compared to the photograph of ipdb it looks like the position of the flippers should be replaced a bit more towards the sides as well.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-05-22%2520at%252011.24.12%2520AM.jpg

SonicBrain

May 17, 2013
Graphics & Sound

Zaccaria pinball definely looks realistic than TPA , the graphic texture and illumination are better done , TPA some tables looks too much cartoon in HD , they advantage are the popular tables . Zaccaria another hand have a big graphic issue compared to TPA and the upcoming Pro Pinball - The metal parts on Zaccaria are too obsolete grey color , play station pinball games looks more realistic " the metal parts " ! Please , fix it and Zaccaria graphically will be excellent . Sound - Farfalla don't sound as the original table , just check YouTube Farfalla tables and the difference are clear - The Locomotion train sound also are not sounding as the original , in my opinion fixing this graphical and sounds issue and the lot of CRASH bugs Zaccaria collection will be in top of quality in all angles ;)

night

May 18, 2012
Zaccaria pinball definely looks realistic than TPA , the graphic texture and illumination are better done , TPA some tables looks too much cartoon in HD , they advantage are the popular tables . Zaccaria another hand have a big graphic issue compared to TPA and the upcoming Pro Pinball - The metal parts on Zaccaria are too obsolete grey color , play station pinball games looks more realistic " the metal parts " ! Please , fix it and Zaccaria graphically will be excellent . Sound - Farfalla don't sound as the original table , just check YouTube Farfalla tables and the difference are clear - The Locomotion train sound also are not sounding as the original , in my opinion fixing this graphical and sounds issue and the lot of CRASH bugs Zaccaria collection will be in top of quality in all angles ;)

You are right about Farfalla sound fx, I was tweaking the physics with the help of a Farfalla youtube vid yesterday, and indeed, the sound is different. There is some sort of a tune/fx in the original that sounds soft and distored in the ASK version. http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/farfalla/

I agree about the chrome as well, but to simulate good chrome is not an easy thing with a low res texture wrap. TPA has it's good moments but they are notorious for making chrome look like grey plastic (and transparent plastic like grey-chrome!), something that I don't see happen in the Zaccaria chrome, where it looks more like dirty-grey oxidised metal, which kind of suit the style of vintage tables. You see, TPA looks too slick, to hars 3D, and therefore I don't 'believe' I am playing real pinball. ASK does a MUCH better job on the graphics, and thank God they are not paranoid about using shadows on the tables like TPA, something I absolutely hate. I must have written more than a hundred posts about their graphics inconsistency style and the lack of shadows that makes their tables looking flat and lifeless. FarSight's artteam never really understood what pinball simulation is all about: the simulation of electricity, light fx, shadows and reflections. All the excuses I have heard for the lack of realistic light fx in TPA, and look, Zaccaria has it all! Even within the limitations of the iOS hardware they are able to show us much better light fx. TPA might have the big table names, but ASK Homework is silently creating a pinball simulation far more advanced to what TPA is showing us right now.

Last edited:

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
TPA might have the big table names, but ASK Homework is silently creating a pinball simulation far more advanced to what TPA is showing us right now.

++++1
The only great thing about TPA is that they have really refined their table speed & physics. But from the point of view of someone who regularly played the original tables of the 70's & 80's, I find that ASK Homework offer the most nostalgic pinball experience. I'm talking about the realism of flickering light bulbs, corroded metal, dirty glass and even fast balls jumping onto plastics and over flippers. TPA tables just look digitally sterile in comparison.

Zsolt

A.S.K. Homework
Apr 2, 2013
Back to the flippers, I am not sure about the size, but compared to the photograph of ipdb it looks like the position of the flippers should be replaced a bit more towards the sides as well.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-05-22%2520at%252011.24.12%2520AM.jpg
We have made some modifications on that flippers, here is the result:
35jhzkz.jpg

night

May 18, 2012
This looks very accurate Zsolt. We'll have to wait to see how it behaves in action, but this must be as close as possible to the real thing.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
You are right about Farfalla sound fx, I was tweaking the physics with the help of a Farfalla youtube vid yesterday, and indeed, the sound is different. There is some sort of a tune/fx in the original that sounds soft and distored in the ASK version. http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/farfalla/

The problem with the sound seems to be the missing sound board emulation. (The description of the faulty filter IC sounds familiar)
Maybe a little pre processing(bass-boost+normalize+magic) can help here.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
++++1
The only great thing about TPA is that they have really refined their table speed & physics. But from the point of view of someone who regularly played the original tables of the 70's & 80's, I find that ASK Homework offer the most nostalgic pinball experience. I'm talking about the realism of flickering light bulbs, corroded metal, dirty glass and even fast balls jumping onto plastics and over flippers. TPA tables just look digitally sterile in comparison.
i would expect that ball to be slowing down as the table gets "dirty" AKA "age of table". In the real world ball usually went flying over flippers after maintence / operator waxed the table shiny clean.

Zsolt

A.S.K. Homework
Apr 2, 2013
STATUS UPDATE:

v1.3 update is delayed because the new physics engine needs additional work. All the other bugs have been fixed and new features have been implemented. v1.3 update will be send to Apple for review as soon as physics engine is ready.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
STATUS UPDATE:

v1.3 update is delayed because the new physics engine needs additional work. All the other bugs have been fixed and new features have been implemented. v1.3 update will be send to Apple for review as soon as physics engine is ready.

Take your time...I'm really enjoying my gold membership and looking forward to the next update. Keep up the good work!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.