Request Beta of Pinball Arcade for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
That's true, Rudy.

But improvements could also be made in the 3d geometry and shaders. Meaning the PC could easily handle higher poly counts than mobile devices and consoles, as well as utilizing improved shaders for plastics, chromes and metal finishes etc.

Higher texture resolution and increased levels of AA will definitely help from the off though.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I thought the quality would be better than Xbox 360 by default because the PC allows for higher resolution textures and higher sample rates for anti-aliasing. Even if they just used the textures from the 360 the anti-aliasing would make everything look smoother, but that and the higher textures mean that the only thing left would be bugfixes and lighting. Bugfixes get corrected anyway so the only thing we'd be missing out on is lighting if they decide to leave such things until the PS4 release.
Somewhere on this forum - and I apologize that I don't have time to dig up a link - there was discussion about this and it was hinted at that PC would have the same textures as the 360 version, but that there would be a setting to use them uncompressed, which would improve visual quality for those with capable graphics cards.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
"Since our Steam Greenlight several months ago, we’ve been hard at work creating a Steam version of the Pinball Arcade. We’re happy to announce that the first Beta build of the Steam platform was released to internal test this week! We will be conducting a closed public Beta of the Steam version in July- if you are one of our Kickstarter backers entitled to Beta access on the PC platform, watch your email for information on how to get access! We are targeting an August release for the Pinball Arcade on Steam with all of the current table packs available."

Now that is good news. Bring on the beta!!

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Discounted 360 packs, when I' already purchased 10 tables. ...On the other hand, if I buy it on Steam I can use it on multiple PCs depending on which I'm at and it'll probably get regular updates without issue...

Decisions, decisions! Hrmmm.... PC does sound like the safer route though, doesn't it?

Not to mention easier updates can be made for Farsight on the PC than it would with the Xbox platform.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Curious, with closed beta, and the possible August target month announced, are we gonna see a Steam product page for Pinball Arcade real soon to allow users to know it is coming, or just wait till Steam release?

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Somewhere on this forum - and I apologize that I don't have time to dig up a link - there was discussion about this and it was hinted at that PC would have the same textures as the 360 version, but that there would be a setting to use them uncompressed, which would improve visual quality for those with capable graphics cards.

I recall reading that somewhere too.

Soxbrother

Mar 16, 2013
Farsite said:
Our new PS4 lighting technology allows us to model individual lights
for each of the 100+ lamps on the typical pinball table (complete with attenuation, blooms, and reflections).
The result so far is a level of graphical realism never before seen in a video pinball game
and it's going to get even better as we continue to improve the technology!

So does this mean that the upcoming PC version will or won't have the same graphical quality ?

Lasd

Jun 24, 2013
"Since our Steam Greenlight several months ago, we’ve been hard at work creating a Steam version of the Pinball Arcade. We’re happy to announce that the first Beta build of the Steam platform was released to internal test this week! We will be conducting a closed public Beta of the Steam version in July- if you are one of our Kickstarter backers entitled to Beta access on the PC platform, watch your email for information on how to get access! We are targeting an August release for the Pinball Arcade on Steam with all of the current table packs available."

Hmm... a closed public beta, what does that mean? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. I'd really like to help with the beta, but it does sound like it's only the Kickstarter people that get in. Even though it is "public".

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Hmm... a closed public beta, what does that mean? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. I'd really like to help with the beta, but it does sound like it's only the Kickstarter people that get in. Even though it is "public".
It sounds like a contradiction in terms, but all it really means is that the beta will be "public" (people other than FarSight employees will participate, as opposed to an internal/private beta) but it will be "closed" (as in invitation-only, as opposed to an open beta).

This kind of beta is actually fairly common. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is going through a closed public beta right now (limited to the poor schmucks who suffered through the first FFXIV), although it is also supposed to have an open public beta somewhat later on.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
things are moving along slowly, but surely :)

*offtopic* the other day i finally tried pinball fx for pc becouse of the portrait mode and man, besides looking good it was... well, i deleted the offensive thing from my hd in seconds :eek:

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
things are moving along slowly, but surely :)

*offtopic* the other day i finally tried pinball fx for pc becouse of the portrait mode and man, besides looking good it was... well, i deleted the offensive thing from my hd in seconds :eek:

I think it's great fun. You just have to think of it as a video game instead of a pinball simulator. It's keeping me busy while waiting for the good stuff. I can't want to play Pinball Arcade on my cabinet, nothing will beat that.

freezy

Jun 5, 2012
I think it's great fun. You just have to think of it as a video game instead of a pinball simulator. It's keeping me busy while waiting for the good stuff. I can't want to play Pinball Arcade on my cabinet, nothing will beat that.

But then, until LED-Wiz and DMD work it'll be 2016. :/

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Farsight said over on Facebook that all KS supporters will get a Beta build who chose the PC version. So that is regardless of level pledged.

dach

May 29, 2013
Good question there. I kicked in for the T2 kickstarter and would love to beta test for Steam PC . Sign me up!

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Good question there. I kicked in for the T2 kickstarter and would love to beta test for Steam PC . Sign me up!

I don't think that it covers the T2 Kickstarter. If it did, then I would up my ante to that support level even though it would hurt a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts