Can We Be Done With The Gottlieb Premiers Now?

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
It's not that they literally "exchanged" the license on Sorcerer for Fish Tales, but rather they had one license left and chose to do Fish Tales instead of Sorcerer. They don't license specific tables at a time, they just license a certain number. They could have done Sorcerer anytime after renewing their WMS licenses.

They still had the license to do Sorcerer from PHOF. They exchanged Jive Time and Sorcerer to do other tables. They were all out of licenses (hence all of the Gottliebs at the end of season 2). TPA fans weren't going to tolerate debuting season 3 with another Gottlieb, so they exchanged Sorcerer for Fish Tales. They were then able to secure another deal.

And yes, you are right that they could still use up one of their remaining licenses to do Sorcerer if they want to.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
To be honest I am a little disappointed there is not more to do on TX Sector, but I still enjoy it. I agree it seems a little behind the times compared to other tables of its year.

Stargate looks real cool, and I want more EM tables! The big G was the king of EMs so we do need more :)

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
To support sales of SPA.....FS will now exhaust the CAPCOMS....go back to the Gottlieb/Premier well.....and then tap the hidden treasure that is Allied Leisure.....Roy Clark's Super Picker anyone? Anyone????? :p

A strong counter-move by Allied Leisure to Elton John and Bally's Captain Fantastic!

Edit: I want to apologize to any Roy Clark fans that I may have offended with this post.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Well, if AG Soccer is any indication, they have the licenses to to Alvin G games. I'm actually looking forward to those. Alvin G is the true successor to the original Gottlieb company. They didn't produce a lot of tables, but the ones they did make were pretty interesting designs.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Yes...but that is a small table pool to draw from.

The above post was meant more as a warning to others: Deep down in the bowels of the pinball universe, there are things that are horrible and much darker than Goin Nuts! We are taking HP Lovecraft type crap here.....:D

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
3 Gottliebs in the last 3 seasons. ~10% of the last 31 releases. This is a #RealTravesty.

31914460.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
Don't you hate it when a table tells you to hurry up and you have no idea what it wants from you?
I always assume it wants me to finish getting dressed because we are freaking late and we paid so much for these tickets.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Also, I am thinking of the children....with a few exceptions, the photo-realistic artwork on the Premier tables could lead children to think that those were cool hair styles! I am not big on climate change, but I am not sure the ozone could go through another Aqua-Net decade......besides...my jean jacket doesn't fit as well as it once did.....:D

pFAAI7V.jpg

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
15 Gottliebs out of 73 total tables (incl. Indy and Dr. Who but not regen.)

20% of tables have been Gottliebs. Hardly anything to scream about. I'd like a few more EMs and I don't mind the Premiers being included.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Decent premier gottleib tables, in no particular order. All i have played.

Stargate (most people think it's best and they have a point)
Surf N Safari. more skill based then rules knowledge based then others.
Nightmare on Elm Street. Neat layout, not easy to exploit rules.
Gladiators. some neat gimmicks.

OK from newer games.
Street Fighter 2 (make you play the entire table. on hard difficulty rules can't be exploited)
Cactus Jack (shoot the left ramp over and over)
Super Mario Bros Mushroom World (but it will never happen)

Sorta OK among older solid state tables.
Hollywood Heat (but it's pretty simple)
Spring Break (for it's auto multiball)
Silver Slugger (their best "street level" game by far)
Genesis (cool hologram!)

Haunted house was actually cool, just badly tuned.
Honestly people like T-X sector for the music. and in real life it's pretty punishing.

sedated

Oct 26, 2014
To each their own. I can't stand most of the DMD tables we get, even if I'm in the minority there.

Personally I happen to like the Gottlieb Premiers. They are a very 80s product of their time, minimalist design and cool music. I think we have a total of TWO 80s style Premier tables, TX-Sector and Victory, and people feel the need to constantly ***** about "all the terrible Gottlieb tables." Some of you guys need to get a life.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Just putting in my two cents: nothing wrong with TX-sector for me personally. I really would like to see Operation Thunder though, that's my guilty pleasure at our clubhouse and it even showed up one time in the tournament line-up. Boy, did I have an advantage on that one, and nobody from the top tier players wouldn't touch the thing.....The mission structure from Operation Thunder, and within that context the multiball and the different shots to make are it's strong points. I would love to see an TPA version of that table!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Gottlieb EMs or bust!

Cool music does not make for a good table, although bad music can certainly ruin a good time. There is just no soul in these mid 80's to 90's Gottliebs. They are pinball going through the motions, and it shows on every level. Compare Tee'd Off to No Good Gofers just because the themes are the same. TO has a lot going for it, but NGG just kills in the 'soul' department. And I'm not talking about just one thing either; it's voice, music, art, flow, rules, fun.

You may say that's apples to oranges, so fine, let's go apples to apples with El Dorado. I hated City of Gold, found it annoying on pretty much every level. Then we get El Dorado EM, and I think it's a blast, it has soul. It's not like the rules are all that different, the layout is identical, but to me it is painfully obvious when playing.

So yeah, bring on Joker Poker, 300, or any number of other Gottlieb EM's. Let the Premiere tables rot.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Gottlieb EMs or bust!

Cool music does not make for a good table, although bad music can certainly ruin a good time. There is just no soul in these mid 80's to 90's Gottliebs. They are pinball going through the motions, and it shows on every level. Compare Tee'd Off to No Good Gofers just because the themes are the same. TO has a lot going for it, but NGG just kills in the 'soul' department. And I'm not talking about just one thing either; it's voice, music, art, flow, rules, fun.

You may say that's apples to oranges, so fine, let's go apples to apples with El Dorado. I hated City of Gold, found it annoying on pretty much every level. Then we get El Dorado EM, and I think it's a blast, it has soul. It's not like the rules are all that different, the layout is identical, but to me it is painfully obvious when playing.

So yeah, bring on Joker Poker, 300, or any number of other Gottlieb EM's. Let the Premiere tables rot.

That was well said.
S-O-U-L

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.