Can We Be Done With The Gottlieb Premiers Now?

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Gottlieb EMs or bust!

Cool music does not make for a good table, although bad music can certainly ruin a good time. There is just no soul in these mid 80's to 90's Gottliebs. They are pinball going through the motions, and it shows on every level. Compare Tee'd Off to No Good Gofers just because the themes are the same. TO has a lot going for it, but NGG just kills in the 'soul' department. And I'm not talking about just one thing either; it's voice, music, art, flow, rules, fun.

You may say that's apples to oranges, so fine, let's go apples to apples with El Dorado. I hated City of Gold, found it annoying on pretty much every level. Then we get El Dorado EM, and I think it's a blast, it has soul. It's not like the rules are all that different, the layout is identical, but to me it is painfully obvious when playing.

So yeah, bring on Joker Poker, 300, or any number of other Gottlieb EM's. Let the Premiere tables rot.

I think this sumsit up, I can add nothing. Other than saying class of 1812 is probably a Gottlieb because that is a pretty bad table :)

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Cool music does not make for a good table,

Unrelated to the whole Gottlieb thing, but this is precisely why I hate Black Knight 2000. It's so damn boring. Right flipper shot followed by right flipper shot followed by right flipper shot... but the only thing people care about is the music.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Then we need to stop buying them. Who's buying them? Is it you? Yeah, I'm looking at you.

Yes, I'm buying them. And the WMS tables, and the Sterns. And I will get the Capcoms and A.G.s if and when they come out.

I am supporting TPA and will continue to. I actually enjoy some of the Gottliebs, even if the one I really want remains at large.

It's all just a matter of taking the good with the bad. I, for one, am not hearing too many complaints about the next table based on the hint.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Oh yeah TPA needs more EMs now more than ever, especially since they now have the 2nd most digital EM recreations on PC and mobile now! Sounds like a challenge to me :)

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Oh yeah TPA needs more EMs now more than ever, especially since they now have the 2nd most digital EM recreations on PC and mobile now! Sounds like a challenge to me :)
Snorzel,could`nt agree more !!! have been enjoying Zaccaria a great deal :cool:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

How nice for someone to bring out the Zaccaria tables. I'll be interested to see how they play on the big screen. It'll keep us all busy until the next minor PP upgrade in a few months.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
How nice for someone to bring out the Zaccaria tables. I'll be interested to see how they play on the big screen. It'll keep us all busy until the next minor PP upgrade in a few months.
rehtroboi40,it plays like a dream on my 55 inch tv !!!:cool:

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012

I'd love to see them on consoles. Don't enjoy playing any type of pinball on my tablet.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Decent premier gottleib tables, in no particular order. All i have played.

Stargate (most people think it's best and they have a point)
Surf N Safari. more skill based then rules knowledge based then others.
Nightmare on Elm Street. Neat layout, not easy to exploit rules.
Gladiators. some neat gimmicks.

OK from newer games.
Street Fighter 2 (make you play the entire table. on hard difficulty rules can't be exploited)
Cactus Jack (shoot the left ramp over and over)
Super Mario Bros Mushroom World (but it will never happen)

Sorta OK among older solid state tables.
Hollywood Heat (but it's pretty simple)
Spring Break (for it's auto multiball)
Silver Slugger (their best "street level" game by far)
Genesis (cool hologram!)

Haunted house was actually cool, just badly tuned.
Honestly people like T-X sector for the music. and in real life it's pretty punishing.

OBJECTION! Hollywood Heat is garbage. It was (and still is) one of the oh-so-few pins in Indianapolis and I have forced myself to spend a lot of time with it as a result. The game is super lame.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My buddy likes that one that is a Top Gun type theme. I really disliked it from the second ball. Played it a bunch trying to like it, but I never warmed to it. Can't think of the name, but you know which one I mean.

tjsynkral

Mar 3, 2013
+1 vote for Street Fighter 2, very underrated pin. Excalibur is neat too but I don't even know if FS will be able to find one.

And Caveman!

Last edited:

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
Just had a go at SF2 on location for the first time over the weekend and I like it quite a bit. Agree it's probably underrated. But it has the same flavor of non-linear scoring as R911, Tee'd Off etc. Not an issue in the real world but I forsee another grinder that plays quite differently from reality if it makes it to TPA.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
SF2 has some of the worst pin art I've seen. That's perfectly in-line with all the other terrible Western SF2 art of the period, though.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
SF2 has some of the worst pin art I've seen. That's perfectly in-line with all the other terrible Western SF2 art of the period, though.

I think there are worse...

Have you checked out:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1248&picno=57392&zoom=1

or

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=128&picno=63614&zoom=1

or

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1922&picno=44268&zoom=1

or

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=996&picno=36043&zoom=1

I actually like playing Genesis, but....WOW!

I suppose some may like the Gottlieb System 80B cheese. But they are almost all bad...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.