Can We Be Done With The Gottlieb Premiers Now?

invitro

May 4, 2012
@invitro ... the Pac-10 no longer exists as of 2011�� & i wouldn't include Capcom as a "Conference" with only a half dozen games, call Independent. I get your take nonetheless, depends on where you live and if you are a bettin man...
Thanks (you & syt) for the Pac-10 / Pac-12 correction. You are right on Capcom. I bet there is a conference that was very good but only existed for few years, but I can't think of one right now.

I like college football if only for the politics and how fans get so emotional about it :). I grew up in Tennessee Vols country, and always felt angstful about hearing nothing but Vol talk all the time and wishing I lived in a major city with pro sports. I wish I could say that I learned to appreciate the values of country life but it hasn't really happened yet... :confused::eek:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Hmm. Capcom = the (old) Big East before it split into the (new all-Catholic schools) Big East and American Athletic? Yeah, clutching at straws here. Or maybe Capcom = Notre Dame.

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
i think if comparison an pinball machine manufacturer as an console manufacturer,that:
Gottlieb = Nintendo(most popular tables)
Williams = SONY (exciting tables sound and light effect)
Bally = SEGA (SEGA has been shift focus go to software)
Stern = Microsoft (technical force)
;)

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
Oh, heck.
Gottlieb = Pete Rose
Premier = Pete Rose, Jr.
Williams = Babe Ruth
Bally = Dale Murphy
old Stern = Ken Griffey, Sr.
new Stern = Ken Griffey, Jr.
Capcom = Tony Conigliaro
Zaccaria = Cool Papa Bell
Jersey Jack = Giancarlo Stanton
Data East = Gregg Jefferies
Sega = Bobby Bonilla

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Oh, heck.
Gottlieb = Pete Rose
Premier = Pete Rose, Jr.
Williams = Babe Ruth
Bally = Dale Murphy
old Stern = Ken Griffey, Sr.
new Stern = Ken Griffey, Jr.
Capcom = Tony Conigliaro
Zaccaria = Cool Papa Bell
Jersey Jack = Giancarlo Stanton
Data East = Gregg Jefferies
Sega = Bobby Bonilla

That kind of talk can, and probably has, started fist-fights in bars. I mean, New Stern = Junior? They're okay but not record Hall Of Fame ballot-worthy....

bluepegasus

Jul 27, 2016
I would love to see the 1982 Gottlieb "Spirit" table make an appearance in The Pinball Arcade. it is quite a creative table layout/ design and hard shots to make!
There was also a sequel Spirit II table that is very different in its layout, but equally as challenging in the shot placement.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
As with most people, my favorite Gottliebs are the EMs, especially the 1970s pins. The Premier era is more miss than hit for me. But I'm sure we haven't seen the last Premier pin. If you left the Premier choices up to me, here would be my thoughts.
Monte Carlo - I'm not a big fan of the Roulette Wheel, but it's not a bad pin. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind if it made an appearance.
Cactus Jack's - The audio really annoys a lot of people (sort of like 1812), but the gameplay and lighting is pretty darn good.
Freddy...Elm Street - I'm probably more of a fan of the the theme than the actual gameplay. But it could be a fun addition if they can swing the license.
Genesis - It's not much to look at but the layout and straight forward rules just make this a fun pin. Always enjoy playing this one. Is it the best Pemier that we don't have in TPA?
Stargate - The license might make make this a tough one, and some of the callouts grow old very quickly. But I really enjoy playing it. I love the layout and those crazy steep ramps.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
As with most people, my favorite Gottliebs are the EMs, especially the 1970s pins. The Premier era is more miss than hit for me. But I'm sure we haven't seen the last Premier pin. If you left the Premier choices up to me, here would be my thoughts.
Monte Carlo - I'm not a big fan of the Roulette Wheel, but it's not a bad pin. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind if it made an appearance.
Cactus Jack's - The audio really annoys a lot of people (sort of like 1812), but the gameplay and lighting is pretty darn good.
Freddy...Elm Street - I'm probably more of a fan of the the theme than the actual gameplay. But it could be a fun addition if they can swing the license.
Genesis - It's not much to look at but the layout and straight forward rules just make this a fun pin. Always enjoy playing this one. Is it the best Pemier that we don't have in TPA?
Stargate - The license might make make this a tough one, and some of the callouts grow old very quickly. But I really enjoy playing it. I love the layout and those crazy steep ramps.
----
Genesis makes me think of a similar layout of: "Mephisto". :D

pedersonsx

Apr 17, 2015
Williams = Ty Cobb
Bally = Cal Ripken Jr.
Gottlieb = Frank Thomas
Stern = Ozzie Smith
[MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] ... you're certainly planted in the East with your list of MLB players.

invitro

May 4, 2012
That kind of talk can, and probably has, started fist-fights in bars. I mean, New Stern = Junior? They're okay but not record Hall Of Fame ballot-worthy....
I don't want to embarrass myself too much, but I did put a bit of time into those :) ;). The Junior is fine but he's at best the #5 CF, well behind Cobb, Mantle, Mays, and Speaker. So, decidedly out of the "inner circle" of HoF'ers. I've played hardly any Sterns for hardly any amount of time (outside of TPA), so I'm going on the very high rankings that many of them have, and my judgement as to the validity of those rankings. (I actually thought that someone might get upset that I don't consider Bally to be even a Hall of Famer ;).)

Shardz

Apr 7, 2014
The old Gottlieb tables are just so...boring? Is that the word I want to use? I do like Big Hurt and maybe a couple others, but they seem mostly like drain fests with a lack of targets or anything really entertaining to do, really. From a historical view, I can see an interest in their collection, but they have a tendency of putting me to sleep. Bally and Williams attract me the most with their innovation and action-packed extravaganzas. Just my opinion, of course.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Snorzel,

I'm with you 100% and I think that one of the three you mentioned (SO76, Atlantis, Centigrade 37) is a perfect choice paired with Ace High.

This would help extend the range of time period represented (and I do like Ace High) from the 50's and also give us a classic 70's Gottlieb at the height of their rule of the pinball world.

Some people complain about SS Gottlieb/Premieres so using the Gottlieb licenses on a table(s) that are wanted by hopefully a not insignificant group of people would be good.

I'd love to see one or two EM's a season but not sure how realistic that is. At the very least, I'd like to see this iconic two-pack.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Snorzel,

I'm with you 100% and I think that one of the three you mentioned (SO76, Atlantis, Centigrade 37) is a perfect choice paired with Ace High.

This would help extend the range of time period represented (and I do like Ace High) from the 50's and also give us a classic 70's Gottlieb at the height of their rule of the pinball world.

Some people complain about SS Gottlieb/Premieres so using the Gottlieb licenses on a table(s) that are wanted by hopefully a not insignificant group of people would be good.

I'd love to see one or two EM's a season but not sure how realistic that is. At the very least, I'd like to see this iconic two-pack.

Yes you said it better than I did. I deleted my post because I realized I had 2 similar posts already in this very thread :p

I dont need to be a broken record playing the sound of a dead horse being kicked

SethAB

Dec 26, 2015
I'd like to addd my name to the list of Premiere ("Bizarro-Gottlieb") haters.
The helicopter game (I don't even want to say its name) is a pinball atrocity filled with asinine repitition and mind-numbingly awful audio. I recall feeling the wasted minutes tick by every time that stupid chopper made its unnecessarily long swivel down and back up the length of the playfield. Whatever novelty it might have had the first time playing it was quickly replaced by a dreadful "not again" feeling of hopeless frustration at the start of each dumb emergency. (Who takes a very-pregnant woman camping in a remote area? The owner of the caved-in mine sounds like he's ordering food at a McDonald's drive-through. Etc, etc.)
Adding to the game's horribleness are the infernal sirens. They wail incessantly throughout every game, no matter how well or how poorly you might be doing. For people like me that are forced to endure actual sirens multiple times of every day, playing E911 with the sound on is like volunteering to be tortured.
The rest of Gottlieb's catalog isn't much better, either. Trying to master Lights, Camera, Action is like stepping in fresh dog**** over and over - all it does is sicken and enrage me. The overwhelmingly cheap, clunky, anti-flow of the thing practically screams "poorly-designed piece of ****". It's SO bad!
What do playing cards and Hollywood have to do with each other? Is it possible NOT to win the "ready, set, draw" stupidity? The game title on the backglass looks like it should be on the back of a high schooler's Trapper Keeper.
Such low standards are par for the course when it comes to these insultingly awful Premiere tables, and Pinball Arcade knows it. PA should divorce itself from these soulsucking claptrap-TABLS, ASAP

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'd like to addd my name to the list of Premiere ("Bizarro-Gottlieb") haters.
The helicopter game (I don't even want to say its name) is a pinball atrocity filled with asinine repitition and mind-numbingly awful audio. I recall feeling the wasted minutes tick by every time that stupid chopper made its unnecessarily long swivel down and back up the length of the playfield. Whatever novelty it might have had the first time playing it was quickly replaced by a dreadful "not again" feeling of hopeless frustration at the start of each dumb emergency. (Who takes a very-pregnant woman camping in a remote area? The owner of the caved-in mine sounds like he's ordering food at a McDonald's drive-through. Etc, etc.)
Adding to the game's horribleness are the infernal sirens. They wail incessantly throughout every game, no matter how well or how poorly you might be doing. For people like me that are forced to endure actual sirens multiple times of every day, playing E911 with the sound on is like volunteering to be tortured.
The rest of Gottlieb's catalog isn't much better, either. Trying to master Lights, Camera, Action is like stepping in fresh dog**** over and over - all it does is sicken and enrage me. The overwhelmingly cheap, clunky, anti-flow of the thing practically screams "poorly-designed piece of ****". It's SO bad!
What do playing cards and Hollywood have to do with each other? Is it possible NOT to win the "ready, set, draw" stupidity? The game title on the backglass looks like it should be on the back of a high schooler's Trapper Keeper.
Such low standards are par for the course when it comes to these insultingly awful Premiere tables, and Pinball Arcade knows it. PA should divorce itself from these soulsucking claptrap-TABLS, ASAP

I usually skip posts that are over 3" thick, but damn this was entertaining.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.