Can We Be Done With The Gottlieb Premiers Now?

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Well, add Frank Thomas to the list of completely underwhelming Premiers. Can't say I'm impressed with what I've played so far.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I don't know yet, too early to say. It definitely has a better flow. It's better than TX Sector, certainly.

Has anyone here played Gottlieb Premier's Mario Andretti (or SF2)? I played that quite a bit at a local BBQ joint and this game has some similar features, such as choosing between collecting letters or starting multiball.

The game is very ugly and the lamps are hard to read. It also has a lot of bugs, it seems.

Sometime last year I started buying every TPA table on release. I don't mind supporting the effort to preserve pinball and I like exposing myself to new tables, we have very, very few in Indiana. Sometimes I get pretty irritated with Farsight's quality control and the speed at which they address issues. But even though I'm not a Premiere fan I will buy the tables to support TPA so we can get the good tables, too.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I dig it. Gottliebs have grown on me. We still need StarGate and Cactus Jacks.

4b2fb9f860cd4a28d95c813b830a09da.jpg

Stop drinking whatever Mola Ram is giving you!

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
I also really want to see Stargate make it. (And I'm not just saying that so it might rise in value and I can sell/trade mine for more value than I bought it. :p) It really is a great game. Scoring is a little unbalanced but overall every shot serves a good purpose and the Quartz feature adds a good dose of strategizing to the game. A lot more to it than just shooting the pyramid!

And I mean, overall I enjoy most Gottliebs, although Rescue 911 didn't hold my interest as long as some of the other's for sure. And seeing as neither of the Mario games or Street Fighter are unlikely due to licensing, I'd say Stargate is the last really good Premier game that's possible. (Although, isn't Waterworld also supposed to be good?)

pedersonsx

Apr 17, 2015
College (American) Football analogy. lets call Williams the Big Ten, Bally the SEC, Stern the Big 12 & Gottlieb the Mountain West Conference. Tough to compete against those top tier on a regular basis, but the MWC (Gottlieb) always show up for the game. Sometimes they surprise the critics & cover the spread, even win some big games on a few occasions when given the chance.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Surf N' Safari is my favorite Premiere left,though I do recognize the greatness of stargate.

I also wouldn't mind operation thunder.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, that does not mean much. R911 is by far the worst Premier we have. Even CBW is more fun.

How can you say that about a table that was worth faking multiple facebook accounts to badger FS everyday until they gave in?

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I know....... and even the most loud advocate here left (banned?) Dokken Rokken (or something like that) before it came out.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I thought Dave Pannanzo (?) was the most vocal advocate for R911. I think literally every post he made signed off with him asking for that table.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I spent a little more time with Big Hurt. So, bugs aside, it's growing on me. I like some of those wireform combos. The central grand slam shot is fun because it's like World Cup Soccer and Monday Night Football had a baby. I definitely need more time...

I definitely rank it above R911 now. Higher than CBW, 1812, LCA, TX. I need to spend more time with TO (i always play NGG instead) and I kinda like Victory.

But it's also brand new, so it's also possible that in a few days I'll want nothing to do with it. The quality difference between Premieres is pretty marginal, honestly.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
While I am still waiting for R11 on console, I must say that the callouts on the demo are hilarious.

But I also think that Harley Davidson has the best callouts in all of pinball, so don't listen to me.

"How's about a ticket... To the policeman's bawll". (How is that not the better than anything from Medieval Madness, I'll never know)

Last edited:

pedersonsx

Apr 17, 2015
[MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] ... the Pac-10 no longer exists as of 2011�� & i wouldn't include Capcom as a "Conference" with only a half dozen games, call Independent. I get your take nonetheless, depends on where you live and if you are a bettin man... back to Gottlieb... well no, i personally don't normally besides 1812 & Black Hole

Last edited:

Members online

Members online