controller / keyboard / etc Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would have thought people would jump at the chance to test this out. Or they probably have real lives where I do not...

Anyway, I have a Wiimote that I use with my rooted Nexus 7 to play various games. I'm willing to test whatever needs testing.

You've managed to get a Wii Mote to work on Android 4.2.2 (the latest version on N7).

What sorcery is this!!!! :p

On the TF300T running 4.2.1, there is no chance a Wii Mote will work. Here's hoping ASUS push a 4.2.2 update for their "Big N7" sooner rather than later.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Ideally, it would work like the Wii version of PHOF, but I don't think there are any programs that can pair the Wiimote to an Android that can detect when you shake them. I've looked. I currently use USB/BT Joycenter to play Pinball Arcade. I use the C on the nunchuck to nudge left, and I use the + and - on the Wiimote to nudge right.
If you mean to nudge more than left and right, and you are implimenting the other directions as well, I'll have to see. LOL
BTW, I also have the classic controller that I can plug into the Wiimote. It has two joysticks that can manage the additional directions.

You should definitely map the Wii Classic Controller for use in USB/BT Joy Center. I did that months ago when BT was working on my device and it was great. You can use the shoulder buttons to flip and the d-pad to control the tilt. The top two shoulder buttons were used for the special buttons like BK's Magna save and ST:TNG's Launch button.

And I even went so far as to map the four abxy buttons to the four menu option buttons in-game. The left stick was used to control the plunger: excellent analog plunging.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
JB4.2.2 works with Sixaxis App as it temporarily installs its own drivers. Can't recommend it enough.
A setting within the app allows you to use any connected controller as a 'native gamepad' minus the wires.
dume9y5e.jpg

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
My Moga Pro remote supports both the Moga enhanced games and they also have "B" mode which supports H.I.D. mapped games. Of course when I switched to that mode, Zen Pinball came up.

I did play one game of Sorcerer's Lair. The remote worked well and felt good in my hand while playing. I hope Ryan does this one day. I am ignorant and do not know if I can map with moga controller and Zen games are just not that fun for me.

Drawken

Oct 2, 2012
You've managed to get a Wii Mote to work on Android 4.2.2 (the latest version on N7).

What sorcery is this!!!! :p

On the TF300T running 4.2.1, there is no chance a Wii Mote will work. Here's hoping ASUS push a 4.2.2 update for their "Big N7" sooner rather than later.
Nope. The Wiimote doesn't work with the latest version of Android, which is why I'm still using JB 4.1.2.

You should definitely map the Wii Classic Controller for use in USB/BT Joy Center. I did that months ago when BT was working on my device and it was great. You can use the shoulder buttons to flip and the d-pad to control the tilt. The top two shoulder buttons were used for the special buttons like BK's Magna save and ST:TNG's Launch button.

And I even went so far as to map the four abxy buttons to the four menu option buttons in-game. The left stick was used to control the plunger: excellent analog plunging.
I've tried the Classic Controller with TPA before, and even tried out various control configurations, but I prefer using the Wiimote and Nunchuck. I find it more comfortable.

Here's my setup:
Nunchuck
Z - Left Flipper and Left initial entry
C - Nudge
Joystick - Plunger

Wiimote
B - Right Flipper and Right initial entry
- and + to Nudge
Home - Pause
A - Launch Button or Trigger
D-Pad Up - Camera
D-Pad Left - Quit
D-Pad Right - Resume
D-Pad Down - Start and Select initial entry

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Sorry guys, didn't end up in the office (husband duties) but I think I can get you a build tomorrow. By the end of day saturday I go the buttons to work but joysticks were not working properly.

@MontanaFrank - Should work find, the mapping will ask you to map, say left flipper, and you press the button you want to use for that.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Ok a little update on this.

I have found that there are some api restrictions for analog controls on Android. Honeycomb and up can query the range values for things like triggers, joysticks etc. I found a white paper that describes how to do it properly, limiting certain calls to that os version and higher, so I will need to give this a good read. We will absolutely need those for plunger & nudge. Wanted to sneak that in with the build today but gonna have to do a little more work unfortunately.

http://docs.nvidia.com/tegra/data/How_To_Support_Android_Game_Controllers.html (for anyone interesting ;) )

Here is an alpha build with the rudimentary mapping system (just the flippers for now). Currently I am only mapping left and right flipper buttons just to give this a test while I do some tournament coding for the kickstarters. For now its hacked into the controls button in the options menu (main menu).

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivity15a.apk

Drawken

Oct 2, 2012
Tried it out but sad to say I couldn't get it to work with my Wiimote/nunchuck. : (
Made sure everything was configured correctly and it still works with my other games.
I was able to map the flippers to the Vol+ and Vol- buttons on the Nexus 7. Hardly an ideal way to play it, but thought I'd report anyway.

Edit: Just for kicks I mapped two buttons on my Wiimote/nunchuck to Vol+ and Vol-, and was able to get the flippers to move (with the volume bar covering part of the table). I still wasn't able to configure the input with my Wiimote/nunchuch though. It still needed to be done with the hard buttons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I was afraid of that. I have a snakebyte controller here that it worked on with the shoulder buttons but not the triggers, part of the analogue difference.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I tried it on my MogaPro and it works nice. It would not detect native Moga (A mode) but worked fine in B (HID) mode. I used the shoulder buttons. I'll have to see if it allows mapping the triggers. There does seem to be a little bit of lag. Not really noticable to the eye, but you defiantely see it in your shots. Some of it could be I usually play in portrait on My Nexus 7, and this test was with my Galaxy Nexus in landscape - but I am sure there is some lag. It is definately a lot of fun to finally be able to use the controller! I cant wait for this to be fine tuned. I will test some more, and on my Nexus 7, and let you know how it works. But for hacking this in fairly quickly, I am impressed!

p.s. Native Moga would be cool, and probably reduce lag! --> http://developer.powera.com/

Last edited:
N

netizen

Could the lag be like with the PS3 and ouya controllers where it is related to the length of the stroke in the shoulder buttons before it is recognized as a button press?

This is based on bug reports, not first hand experience.

Last edited:

Indy99

May 24, 2013
netizen,

That is entirely possible. I have never played the PS3 or Ouya version so I cant really compare, but that could be contributing. The shoulder buttons on the MogaPro dont really travel much distance.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Working great for me running stock Nexus 7 with an otg cable and PS3 controller, I'm not experiencing any lag whatsoever and I've played the hell out of the PS3 version. Ryan if this all comes together real nice after the nudge, additional buttons, and plunger are ready I would go as far to say you should be running things for the PS3 side of things ( not sure if you were involved there or not ). While testing White Water I was able to perform a live drop catch off of the left flipper, I'm going to play some more tables and really give this baby a test run.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
One really important thing to note with this is that flipper shots ( pulling the plunger manually ) can be activated from the left or right side.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Tested on Nexus 7 stock - rooted JB4.2.2

Works lag free using a PS3 controller via bluetooth. Very fine flipper control being possible.
This is connected via Sixaxis app but as a native controller without using any touch mapping (same as plugging in via OTG/USB adapter and cable but - no cables).

Tested by attempting to map all buttons of controller two at a time to the flippers.

By default (without any mapping) the controller buttons 'Circle' and 'Cross' both perform the same function as pressing back or pause, and these buttons cannot be configured to work as flippers (they are recognised as inputs at mapping stage, but revert back to 'back' or 'pause' in game).
All other buttons, shoulder, triggers, d-pad (up, down, left, right - not diagonals) square, triangle, were configure able.
Analogue stick left registered as an input but didn't work in game.
Analogue stick right wouldn't register or work.
'Select' can be mapped and works in game but has a sluggish response.
'Start' can be mapped, but when pressed in game causes TPA to crash and dump you back to the OS homescreen.

Looking forward to seeing this (& enhanced nudge) developed further.

Do you think there will be any time set aside soon for getting Android caught up Ryan?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Here is an alpha build with the rudimentary mapping system (just the flippers for now). Currently I am only mapping left and right flipper buttons just to give this a test while I do some tournament coding for the kickstarters. For now its hacked into the controls button in the options menu (main menu).

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivity15a.apk

It's been gnawing at me all night so I have to plead total ignorance in what to do with the "apk" file above that Ryan sent out earler this afternoon. I know I can download it, but from that point on I'm clueless. Could some nice forum fan please help me?

I keep thinking I have no business asking this question, but I really am curious on how to do this and I want to be able to download beta android packs of new tables that I've played IRL for evaluation.

I never thought I would ever have an app based system so I never kept what with the ins and outs of Android App technology.

I really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
K

Korven

Just download it and it will install/update itself. I currently have no controller to use myself, but one thing I noticed is that WW is updated so we can now see the cellar door value.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It's been gnawing at me all night so I have to plead total ignorance in what to do with the "apk" file above that Ryan sent out earler this afternoon. I know I can download it, but from that point on I'm clueless. Could some nice forum fan please help me?

I keep thinking I have no business asking this question, but I really am curious on how to do this and I want to be able to download beta android packs of new tables that I've played IRL for evaluation.

I never thought I would ever have an app based system so I never kept what with the ins and outs of Android App technology.

I really appreciate any help.

Frank,
Sorry it's brief but I'm at work....

Here's the basics.
Go through the device setting's until you find one called 'unknown sources', tick this - it allows apk files not obtained from the Play Store to be installed.
qy4eruju.jpg

Next use a file browser (Astro or one provided with your device) to go to your download folder (mnt/sdcard/download) you should see the file you downloaded.apk
Click it, your Operating system or file browser should have an inbuilt apk installer and should give you the option to install.
If not you need to install an apk installer app - the link to a play store one is below
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graphilos.apkinst&hl=en
Repeat the browser, and click to install, this time selecting apk installer to perform the action.

The app should install and can be ran up as normal from an icon or your app drawer.

Hope you get it going!

K

Korven

Totally forgot that you have to tick the unknown sources box... Also some apps (brightness adjuster for example) can screw it up and don't allow the apk to install even if you do tick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts