controller / keyboard / etc Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Korven

Tried this on my old Toshiba thrive, works good. But you have to go into setting and map the keys on every table.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Do you think there will be any time set aside soon for getting Android caught up Ryan?

Thanks.

That is my hope yes, I am currently working on tournament stuff (and will be for a while as we improve and add on to it) but in between I am going to ask/argue for time to get you folks caught up to the best of my ability.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
That is my hope yes, I am currently working on tournament stuff (and will be for a while as we improve and add on to it) but in between I am going to ask/argue for time to get you folks caught up to the best of my ability.

Thanks Ryan - that would be awesome.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks very much for your help Baron. That really helped and will give your directions a try after my dr appts today.

Justin2097

Jul 2, 2013
I signed up cos this is an aspect I am eager to get included.

I tried a Sixaxis and wired Xbox 360 controllers via OTG. The Six axis works exactly as Baron Rubik said.

The 360 controller also works the same, with similar afflictions. Analogue sticks not working, neither are triggers. The back and start button are mapped to home, and the A/B buttons are mapped are mapped to back.

All other buttons including left/right analogue clicks are able to be mapped to the flippers.

Also each time you load TPA, you need to remap the buttons, but I figured this was cos they are fully implemented yet.

This was tested on a stock Nexus 7.

Justin2097

Jul 2, 2013
Just tested with a bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard is one made for the nexus 7 bought from Amazon.

No noticeable lag as such, but it doesn't seem as instant as using touchscreen. This is probably to do with the distance you have to push the key before the 'click', as someone else suggested.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
And remember, I am implementing functionality that is cross platform. Unfortunately, that takes higher priority to management. But I promise I will try to knock that out so I can get back to helping you folks, never ignoring you guys! =)

Thanks Ryan - that would be awesome.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
And remember, I am implementing functionality that is cross platform. Unfortunately, that takes higher priority to management. But I promise I will try to knock that out so I can get back to helping you folks, never ignoring you guys! =)

Thank you Ryan - I just got real excited when 'Nudge up' was announced and implemented for ios. It's top of my personal want list for Android.
I'll try to be more patient - I understand the management juggle all too well.
Thanks again.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
The disappointment is totally understandable. Nudge up will be in for the next update next week. I might not be able to get the nice interface in, but it will be cut into thirds. Left third, middle third (up nudge), and right.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks Ryan. Wired Xbox controller on non rooted Nexus 7 with no third-party mapping software works with the two upper back triggers perfectly.

One minor related issue. When using a wired controller with Nexus on a stand you need to rotate tablet upside down so controller cable exits the top of the tablet (in portrait). Game menus etc work fine and even the attract mode, but as soon as you click start button table rotates back 180 degrees so that it is upside down. Workaround is the orientation can be locked using third party app 'Rotation Lock' by Madmack which is free.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Nudge up will be in for the next update next week. I might not be able to get the nice interface in, but it will be cut into thirds. Left third, middle third (up nudge), and right.

My wife just got her phone upgrade this weekend gone, she decided to switch to an iPhone.

Means I got to play with the new nudge interface - oh man this is so good on ios. (scheme B - show scheme overlay on - is my favourite) I might not bother using a controller if Android gets this :)

Is the plan to put the full (same as ios) interface into Android Ryan? with the different touch scheme layouts, and the ability to display the zone areas?

I'm really hoping the answers yes - otherwise she's losing her new iPhone.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Just another random dude saying:
Yay for controller love...I've been hearing my poor screen crinkle a bit lately as I smash the screen trying to get one more ramp shot
Yay for dev contact...just knowing it's coming has me so excited, I'll make random post on the verges of fanboi

simple Bluetooth keyboard here...not smart enough to get any of my other controllers hooked up w/o voiding warranty (yet)
I bought the k/b specifically for this game then went *something like fiddlesticks* when it didn't work ;)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just another random dude saying:
Yay for controller love...I've been hearing my poor screen crinkle a bit lately as I smash the screen trying to get one more ramp shot
Yay for dev contact...just knowing it's coming has me so excited, I'll make random post on the verges of fanboi

simple Bluetooth keyboard here...not smart enough to get any of my other controllers hooked up w/o voiding warranty (yet)
I bought the k/b specifically for this game then went *something like fiddlesticks* when it didn't work ;)

I've got the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for the TF300T. It was a great keyboard for controlling pinball using USB/BT Joystick Center, and typing out verbose posts on forums.

The native integration is really promising, Ryan. Not only are the flipper very responsive on the TF300T, for the first time I can use the left and right shift keys independently to control flippers (a current limitation in USB/BT). Even better, a taster of integration is that you can use the mapped keys to move the Enter Initials cursor in-game.

Can't wait for the full-blown implementation. Will be interesting to see how you configure analog plunging on digital devices like keyboards. Using the arrow keys to set plunger position and another button to release would be a logical implementation for keyboards (at least to my way of thinking).

Sorry, but tl: dr on that nvidia implementation article, Ryan. I'll believe you when you say it will take a little longer to correctly implement the digital > analog plunge. ;)

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Tried it out recently using a wireless USB Genius keyboard. Works quite well, although occasionally there'll be a bit of input lag, but I dunno if that's due to the device, the keyboard, or both.

bruceo

Jul 17, 2013
Ok a little update on this.

I have found that there are some api restrictions for analog controls on Android. Honeycomb and up can query the range values for things like triggers, joysticks etc. I found a white paper that describes how to do it properly, limiting certain calls to that os version and higher, so I will need to give this a good read. We will absolutely need those for plunger & nudge. Wanted to sneak that in with the build today but gonna have to do a little more work unfortunately.

http://docs.nvidia.com/tegra/data/How_To_Support_Android_Game_Controllers.html (for anyone interesting ;) )

Here is an alpha build with the rudimentary mapping system (just the flippers for now). Currently I am only mapping left and right flipper buttons just to give this a test while I do some tournament coding for the kickstarters. For now its hacked into the controls button in the options menu (main menu).

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivity15a.apk

I have the Moga pocket and when I install the apk I get application not installed at the end of the package installer process.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
So far I've seen a fairly encouraging selection of controllers supported in the Beta builds for controller support.

Android 4.2.x has no support for Wiimote and Classic Controller due to this controller being 'pairless'.

I have seen mention of XB360 controllers and of course the purpose-designed controllers like Moga and iCade supported well so far.

I would like a laundry list of supported controllers that meet the following:

* Can be paired on Android 4.2.x through Bluetooth.
* Work without Root.
* Work without an additional compatibility app (such as Sixaxis, USB/BT Joy Center).

Perhaps this should be a separate thread for the benefit of those that will be coming into the new controller support arena.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
So far I've seen a fairly encouraging selection of controllers supported in the Beta builds for controller support.

Android 4.2.x has no support for Wiimote and Classic Controller due to this controller being 'pairless'.

I have seen mention of XB360 controllers and of course the purpose-designed controllers like Moga and iCade supported well so far.

I would like a laundry list of supported controllers that meet the following:

* Can be paired on Android 4.2.x through Bluetooth.
* Work without Root.
* Work without an additional compatibility app (such as Sixaxis, USB/BT Joy Center).

Perhaps this should be a separate thread for the benefit of those that will be coming into the new controller support arena.

Shane Monroe does a nice write up here... http://controllers101.greenrobotgamer.com

(just about to order myself a Moga Pro for my un-rooted S4 - in addition to my Rooted N7 with Sixaxis and PS3 controller.)

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
The Moga Pro is totally worth it...made a mod for it to hold my Note 2 in an Otterbox Defender in bothe landscape and portrait mode.
ga7a4e8e.jpg
u2ydaqa3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts