Doctor Who Kickstarter

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I'd never heard of a Kickstarter until I started playing these pinball games. Was actually quite fun seeing it all unfold. Was happy to donate and quite looking forward to seeing the new tables. Was a big fan of the older doctor whos...and could do a mean Dalek impression too. :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
TSPP + DE Simpsons fits that quote, too.

It does. I think a Stern table might be less likely because of SPA; I think Stern would want all their tables in SPA rather than TPA from now on. But who knows?

Here are all of the remaining WMS DMD tables (if I got this right):
Bally - Gilligan's Island, World Cup Soccer, Popeye, Corvette, Shadow, Indy 500, and NBA Fastbreak.
Williams - Indiana Jones, Flintstones, Dirty Harry, Johnny Mnemonic, and Congo.

Would anything besides IJ have something obvious as "something extra"? There is the Stern NBA table, but I still think NBAFB happens when hell freezes over. My heart wants to say WCS with Gottlieb's Soccer or another soccer / World Cup table. Or Indy 500 with Nitro Ground Shaker?

P.S. I do thank everyone for donating to this kickstarter, or otherwise encouraging its success. I'm excited for at least one table in Season 6. I hope I'll be able to donate to the next k.s. (if I don't find something that seems more worthy of donation).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I just get the feeling that the Season 6 / TAFG tiers were a last-ditch "Plan C".

"Plan A" was attempting to engage with Dr Who fans after the initial rush of pinball fans subsided. This just plain didn't work.

"Plan B" was to time Dr Who Regen to kick of a new wave... and engage more with Dr Who fans... but again, it only really caught on with the pinball fans.

"Plan C" was likely either a last resort or cobbled together on the fly after asking the execs if they could do it, and was pure "go for the pinball fans, we just couldn't engage the Dr Who fans". Yeah, that worked.

Lessons learned? If you're planning on engaging with a set of non-pinball fans - albeit fans who might be more likely to be interested in pinball, since the sci-fi/video games/pinball crowd does intersect somewhat - plan it much further in advance. Work out which fan sites and conventions you're going to hit, and have press releases ready to go from Day 1.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
You know if we can bump this Kickstarter up to $130,000 or so, we can skip waiting for the next Kickstarter and receive that table about a year earlier! Go team!

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I just get the feeling that the Season 6 / TAFG tiers were a last-ditch "Plan C".

Yeah that's for sure.

It looks like they're losing money on the $85 level pledge. The two S6 Pro's are $80 right there. You get the Who table regardless but also get the Regeneration Who table ($5?) and the two ball packs ($3?). None of that money is going to their pockets and I won't be buying a third S6 on my own.

Albeit this is likely a small segment of their audience that purchases seasons - currently amounts to 205 users that will get the 2 S6's. So maybe in the long run not that huge of a hit.

So they were doing what it took to make this happen any way they could. They got me to move from $50 to $85 so well done for them.

hammr25

Oct 4, 2012
Is the reskinned thing a kickstarter exclusive or are they going to somehow sell it in Season 6 as some sort of bonus feature for more money.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'd already bumped to $80 after Regen was announced - going that extra $5 was a no-brainer. And yes, they offered it as a loss leader to get it done.

Personally, I don't want to see another KS. Enough is enough. Just raise the sticker price for S6 already. (And yeah I realize I'm saying that after I'm already going to get S6 on both my main platforms.)

If they raise prices to $34.99 (regular season), $44.99 (Pro season), $5.99 (regular table), $8.99 (Pro table)... after 5 seasons and 4 years at the same price... there will be grumbles put people will still pay and I'd be willing to bet that's a good chunk of change they can use to not need another KS.

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
I've just realized, Dr Who fills in the final table from the rotation at the "Airport Lounge" bar at Sussex Uni (I forget it's real name, go figure):
- Hurricane
- Dr Who
- Twilight Zone
- BSD
- Frankenstein

Is there a Sussex University in the US, or were you at the Falmer campus near Brighton, England? I was there '87-'90, a bit before your time looking at those tables :) I remember playing Comet and Black Knight there, in between marathon Gauntlet sessions...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Is there a Sussex University in the US, or were you at the Falmer campus near Brighton, England? I was there '87-'90, a bit before your time looking at those tables :) I remember playing Comet and Black Knight there, in between marathon Gauntlet sessions...

I was there '92-'96 (with '94-'95 spent in Grenoble, France). There were a ton of pins all over campus. And of course Brighton itself.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is the reskinned thing a kickstarter exclusive or are they going to somehow sell it in Season 6 as some sort of bonus feature for more money.

In our podcast, Mike said Doctor Who: Regenerated is NOT exclusive to the kickstarter and will be made available for sale.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013

"Plan A" was attempting to engage with Dr Who fans after the initial rush of pinball fans subsided. This just plain didn't work.

"Plan B" was to time Dr Who Regen to kick of a new wave... and engage more with Dr Who fans... but again, it only really caught on with the pinball fans.

"Plan C" was likely either a last resort or cobbled together on the fly after asking the execs if they could do it, and was pure "go for the pinball fans, we just couldn't engage the Dr Who fans". Yeah, that worked.

Lessons learned? If you're planning on engaging with a set of non-pinball fans - albeit fans who might be more likely to be interested in pinball, since the sci-fi/video games/pinball crowd does intersect somewhat - plan it much further in advance. Work out which fan sites and conventions you're going to hit, and have press releases ready to go from Day 1.

Yep looks like they got desperate in the end.They were always confident of reaching the goal.We now know why.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There is the Stern NBA table, but I still think NBAFB happens when hell freezes over.

I don't think Hell will have to freeze, but it will have to get mighty cold. Norman loves the table and is trying to figure out ways it can be brought to TPA. And I hound him about it every time I talk to him! He seriously likes the idea of another table that can use the head to head play FarSight will be introducing, so fingers crossed. At one time FarSight DID have relations with NFL/MLB/NBA when they were doing sports titles back in the day, so it wouldn't be uncharted territory.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Plan 'B' got hampered by the BBC making them wait til the final week. Agree though that plan 'A' was a fairly limp plan to begin with.

karl

May 10, 2012
Who cares if they got desperate. They got it done, and for that I salute them.

The important thing is that they did what they could to bring us this table.

With the season passes, they had to take a huge cut from their income to make it happen. We are the ones who benefit the most from that situation.

I sincerely hope that Farsight will still make a healthy sale from the table when it comes out

wolfson

May 24, 2013
karl
Who cares if they got desperate. They got it done, and for that I salute them.

The important thing is that they did what they could to bring us this table.

With the season passes, they had to take a huge cut from their income to make it happen. We are the ones who benefit the most from that situation.

I sincerely hope that Farsight will still make a healthy sale from the table when it comes out
karl 100% who cares how you cross the finish line !!! WELL DONE EVERYONE !!! :cool:

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Crikey!
I was sure I was going to save 100$ now that it has gotten funded, but 2 pro passes plus the TAF gold might just....

Gah! Advice, should I donate? Plus it goes to the next kickstarter - if I buy the season pass the regular way it wont; something to think about.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
I am guessing the Doctor Who Regeneration table will be a stand along game like Ghostbusters and not part of Season 6 since it is not a REAL pinball table but has Farsight confirmed this?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I never thought we would have this amount of tables from when I started buying TPA.after the 20th table,every table has been a bonus !!! to me now I couldn`t care less what they throw our way.Farsight just keep them coming!!! what a Pinnie Arcade we have,you could say,i`m happy,YEP I`M BLOODY HAPPY !!! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.