Doctor Who Kickstarter

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
You're right!

We need to teach them a lesson of what can and can not go in their own game! They set up a mission statement and can not deviate from that one iota. Yeah they set up their own rules but still!

I say we all hold our breath until they relent on this point. Who's with me!

Nah. I will settle for sharing my opinion for them to ignore or not and move on with life.

You're right. We should conduct ourselves more like adults.

So I'm starting an online petition. Who's with me!

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
According to your list White Water is under WW. And who can't type just type White Water in under 2 seconds? Are you all doing this with your thumbs while jogging? If you have already made reference to the table in the post or the thread has it in the title, I get it but otherwise it is just code to be cliquish.

White Water is listed 3 times, as WW, WH20 and WH2O.

While Silver Slugger, Space Shuttle, Space Station, Strange Science, Supersonic and Scared Stiff are all shown to use ss.

I don't think it's a matter of being cliquey, but more shorthand. At one point [MENTION=1]Gord Lacey[/MENTION], the forum admin, did have a tool tip plug-in that allowed for you to just mouse over the acronym/abbreviation/whatever. Alas, it doesn't appear to be around anymore.

For the most part I assume it gets used around here because we are, generally, speaking about a shared set of tables. Occasionally the over-usage gets to a point of ridiculousness when a post is about tables not in TPA and it's all in pinball's version of 1337 5p34k.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I'm glad the KS got funded, but does anyone know why the season passes are ONLY for the teacher's favourites Steam, Android, iOS? I'd have chipped in if I could get a Season 6 pass for PS3/VITA and one for PS4, since that is what I play, but alas. Is that some Sony PSN store rule/technicality?

My take is that it's the platform that sets the rules. FasSight can't offer a Season Pass for that platform unless approved by the console/platform maker. That's why the consoles tablepack release dates are later than the "teacher's favorite". The platform owners, i.e.: Microsoft and Sony, restrict when FarSight can offer a certain tablepack(s) to the public through their console. Does that make sense?

I assure you if FarSight could release a game on all platforms in one day, they would.

Last edited:

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
It wouldn't be bad if you guys used actual acronyms or actual abbreviations but acronyms need to be pronounceable and abbreviations follow rules like you exclude articles and prepositions and single words you either take the first 2 letters or the first and the last, unless an X or Z makes it more obvious. There are established rules to abbreviating so people new to them can make sense of them. That list is just something someone who didn't know what an abbreviation was whipped up and everyone starting memorizing most of which are neither acronyms or abbreviations so it really is just a code.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I often seem to have to stop and think what the acronym means before continue reading, so unless it is part of the topic like in a thread about Scared Stiff and you use SS to say something about it. If you drop BSD in suddenly one might just lose one stride ;)

Also I pledged 100$ now - boss ShorMessageServiced me (thats sms for those who like acronyms) and said I should work today, so that is my 100$ earned and spent!

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Interesting question Terminator, I'm really curious too. I would like to point out that it seems to be a nice bargaining chip in getting people to pledge to a KS. That will get old though if they would use in the say next 2-3 but as this KS shows, they need every advantage they can have.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It wouldn't be bad if you guys used actual acronyms or actual abbreviations but acronyms need to be pronounceable and abbreviations follow rules like you exclude articles and prepositions and single words you either take the first 2 letters or the first and the last, unless an X or Z makes it more obvious. There are established rules to abbreviating so people new to them can make sense of them. That list is just something someone who didn't know what an abbreviation was whipped up and everyone starting memorizing most of which are neither acronyms or abbreviations so it really is just a code.

There really are no rules to it. And we didn't make them up. These have been in use for a long time before this forum came along. Go over to the Pinside forum and you will see many more of them. It's a kind of pinball shorthand. If I can't figure one out, I look it up on yahoo. I just type in something like, pinball TAF. Check the results and you will see The Addams Family. Or you can always just post something like ,TAF?, and somebody will usually clue you in. It can get very confusing, especially when the thread is discussing multiple tables. But don't expect it to go away.

Last edited:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
It wouldn't be bad if you guys used actual acronyms or actual abbreviations but acronyms need to be pronounceable and abbreviations follow rules like you exclude articles and prepositions and single words you either take the first 2 letters or the first and the last, unless an X or Z makes it more obvious.

Acronyms are everywhere on most of the Internet, it's just a side effect of most people being lazy typers. :p (Phones, with their awful screen keyboards, have made this phenomenon even worse.)

I think it makes sense for the long names (eg, say, "Creature from the Black Lagoon" -- CFTBL) but not so much for short names like "Scared Stiff".

wolfson

May 24, 2013
here`s something to get your minds off acronyms. grab your daks go to woop woop to meet up with a cockroach and a cane toad.in the arvo have a dogs eye and pav,and finish it off with a slab.:cool:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Mate I'll grab my pork pie and leg it down the apples and pears, see you at the ol' rub-a-dub-dub in five. Just don't tell the old trouble & strife because it could all go a bit Pete Tong if she finds out.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
There really are no rules to it. And we didn't make them up. Theses have been in use for a long time before this forum came along. Go over to the Pinside forum and you will see many more of them. It's a kind of pinball shorthand. If I can't figure one out, I look it up on yahoo. I just type in something like, pinball TAF. Check the results and you will see The Addams Family. Or you can always just post something like ,TAF?, and somebody will usually clue you in. It can get very confusing, especially when the thread is discussing multiple tables. But don't expect it to go away.

Prolonged exposure to pinball forums will help :) When I made my first foray into online pinball communities I got lost in all those acronyms. I do think they are actually mostly used with the more familiar/famous pins, not necessarily the ones with the long names. Monsterbash is 11 letters but still gets referred to as MB. The problems start with acronyms that are ambivalent, Spork a page back did a nice job of spelling out what SS may refer to for example (nice research btw!). TAF, AFM, TZ, LOTR, MB, MM are all instantly recognizable I think, and that's no coincidence because they are all in the top 10 at Pinside and IPDB. Anyway, no need to abbreviate DrWho fortunately....although we already should be thinking about distinguishing it from the promised regenerated DrWho table: DrWhoRGN or DrWhoRegen or DWRGN? :)

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Mate I'll grab my pork pie and leg it down the apples and pears, see you at the ol' rub-a-dub-dub in five. Just don't tell the old trouble & strife because it could all go a bit Pete Tong if she finds out.
Eldar bonza,you crack me up.great to have a bit of fun !!!:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.