Flipper lag theory

J_R

May 31, 2012
after intensive comparison with 1080p,1080i and 720p i have come to one conclusion, PBA does NOT fully support 1080p and 1080i on ps3. but in 720p its absolutely wonderful, THATS the pinball feeling i remember.HUGE difference!!!!!! after switching to 720p i sucked at ToM. flipping early all the time hitting for the first time the right lane with the RIGHT flipper : ).
But what a great feeling of control (after a while).PLEASE Farsight make it work in 1080p. you KNOW its something wrong. you just can’t deny it!!!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
ZEN only supports 720p.

And that is seriously all it supports. My TV only does 1080i for HD, and with any other game I play that only does 720p for HD, games will get downconverted to 480p. Not Zen. It goes down to 480i, letterboxes the game, and then squeezes it horizontally! And its not just Zen pinball, its any of their games. Only company I've ever had this happen with. So you can imagine, losing a 3rd of the screen to black bars and then having your pinball be fat and slightly oval! Makes for some weird pinball, lemme tell you. I still manage some decent scores though ;P

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i don't expierance lag. i am using an old (fat) ps3 system and a fairly new controller.
the only lag i do come across is the switching of the lights above the rollovers (top right) on monster bash. they seem to have about a 1/4 second lag when i use the flippers to change them.

i hurt for everyone that does have this problem. hopefully it will be fixed soon.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Tried 1080i just for the heck of it, and I'd almost swear it's got more of an input delay than 1080p. Anyway back to 480 for me. : P

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for the tip of dropping the resolution guys. I have tried in 1080p, 1080i and 720p and the game is definitely more responsive in 720p. It is still not as responsive and fast paced as the Android and iOS versions however.

Interestingly, I was unable to try 480 as when I tried to launch the game it gave an error message saying that the screen resolution is not supported. I am guessing that this limit is exclusive to the Euro version of TPA as smbhax has stated that it works on his NA version.

TPA - European version 1.02
Add-on Packs - #1 Installed
PS3 version - CECH3001A on the latest firmware (PS3 Slim cheaper version with HD over component removed)
Connected to - Samsung Series 6 120hz TV in Game Mode via HDMI
Joypad - Official PS3 wireless Joypad - Old pad taken from 1st gen Playstation 3 Phat

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Interestingly, I was unable to try 480 as when I tried to launch the game it gave an error message saying that the screen resolution is not supported. I am guessing that this limit is exclusive to the Euro version of TPA as smbhax has stated that it works on his NA version.
Huh! Yeah the North American version will definitely run in 480. Well hopefully they'll get the performance issue sorted out eventually so running in 480 won't even be something you'd want to do--it *is* pretty ugly.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I asked on their Facebook page if there was any chance of an improvement in the input lag, and aside from the old chestnut of asking about my TV being in "Game Mode," they said "We are working on this issue internally, as well." So that's something, I suppose. Maybe!

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I asked on their Facebook page if there was any chance of an improvement in the input lag, and aside from the old chestnut of asking about my TV being in "Game Mode," they said "We are working on this issue internally, as well." So that's something, I suppose. Maybe!

That is great news. I just bought Add-on Pack #2 because I am managing to adapt to the lag for the moment, but a fix will be most welcome.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
The new Euro update v1.03 has virtually eliminated flipper lag for me! If there is any left it's negligible.

TangoBunny

Oct 3, 2012
I haven't tested this extensively, but I tried doing a 'lag check' on Theatre of Magic (cradle a ball on a flipper, let go of the flipper, then flip it when it's right near the tip of the flipper), and it still often does the whole 'ball casually rolls off, and the flipper flips immediately after' thing.

At this point I can't tell if the flippers are supposed to be deliberately unresponsive and 'working as intended' or if they still haven't addressed the lag. After all, the Vita version still seems far more responsive...

TimeWellWasted

Oct 24, 2012
I'm pretty new to TPA but ive played alot of FP last 2 years and the lag was very obvious when i tried the PS3 demo. Ive been keeping an eye out on forum threads like this one, to follow any progress on the matter. So far ive been playing on my PS3 with most settings still on default (so 1080p i guess), i only bought it 1 month ago.
Today i saw the 1.03 update and installed it, i havent played a ton before but imo the lag is definatly better with the new update, although it still does not feel as snappy as FP on my pc.
I registered here to share my view and rereading this thread made me decide to try and run it at 720p. For me this elimates any laggy flipper feelings that were left after the update compared to FP. All thats left todo now is buy the full game :) .

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Just a tip for anyone that also plays Zen 2 you can adjust the flipper sensitivity (lag) in the operators menu and it will not effect the scoreboards at all. This is a feature Arcade needs badly people should not have to drop their settings down for one game.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
The new Euro update v1.03 has virtually eliminated flipper lag for me! If there is any left it's negligible.

Confession time... after playing on v1.03 a bit more, I have to admit to being a little too hasty about this.... Flipper lag is still there, though less pronounced. It is still an issue affecting play performance though and needs more work to get it up to scratch. I've now played Xbox & iOS versions (I already have android), and they make it more obvious when you go back to the PS3; it's just not as snappy.

For me it stands out most now on Arabian Nights followed by Fun House. Since the 1.03 update Fun House plays much faster and consequently the lag has become more of an issue.

Apologies for my initial over enthusiastic declaration that flipper lag had gone. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts