Getting tired of all the buggy tables

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
That' not so long, 6-8 hours, I can't remember exactly. The key is to build a huge double continent bonus. At this point my one was at 3.8 Billion. So 10 times all continents are nearly 40 Billion in later gameplay...

6-8 hours is "not that long" to you? On a real machine, a long game is like 30 minutes. I have no idea how someone can play one single game for that long. Not just as far as keeping the ball alive, but also not quitting out of boredom.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
6-8 hours is "not that long" to you? On a real machine, a long game is like 30 minutes. I have no idea how someone can play one single game for that long. Not just as far as keeping the ball alive, but also not quitting out of boredom.

TPA is much easier than a real table. For RbioN with the limited extraballs you're right that a 6 hour game is difficult, I've never played a real Ripleys. For other real tables like Funhouse or Creature from the Black Lagoon with unlimited extraballs I can remember games with 10 hours+ too 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
As I said before, besides the skill set needed to get games going for that long, it's the mental stamina that I'm really in awe off. I have some tables now that I can "infinite" but when I try to do that, my brain starts screaming at me after a couple of hours to just let it all drain and return to normal life again. I can actually feel relieved when such a game ends, immediately leading to regret that I just didn't push through a bit more or lay the iPad away for a moment.... :)

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
? U know u have to tilt the ball to avoid the bonus? It crashes after one of those [don't know the name now) gets above 254. U are warned, u better go to 600 billion to get at least 120 billion.

I think it's the idol count. If it goes above some value the game will crash on bonus countdown. The really bad bit is if you get a really fast SDTM it'll possibly crash before you even have time to tilt out. I've been avoiding playing Ripley at all due to that issue since the last time I crashed out after several hours of grinding.

Last edited:

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
I think it's the idol count. If it goes above some value the game will crash on bonus countdown. The really bad bit is if you get a really fast SDTM it'll possibly crash before you even have time to tilt out. I've been avoiding playing Ripley at all due to that issue since the last time I crashed out after several hours of grinding.

I think you're right with the idol overflow. In addition I can confirm the wrong score counting. In a second try I've reached more than 250 Billion now. Lost the overview at the end. This game came as 76 Billion only to the leaderboard. :mad: Looks like the CftbL problem and a big continent bonus during the 10B rollover destroy the score. At least I've beaten my best continent score so far:

bonus.png

Last edited:

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
Makes u wonder about FUUTA's score. And again, not the only table where he got some "weird" score and goes above a 9 or 99 or 999 without even knowing if it's possible and that it's strange anyway to get that high.

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
I've had similar feelings on many occasions. Have had hours of gameplay crash into a bug or a glitch or scores not showing correctly. Latest happened today. I was 3 hours into Twilight Zone when the power went out and my tv and console died in the middle of a game. I guess it's part of the game and I've always come back stronger. Nobody forces to play these marathon runs but sometimes it's fun to see how far one can go.

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
Ofcourse, but the most fun is getting good scores, right? That's what i like about these games, the online leaderboards. People who don't care about that don't have to buy it and can get these games for free from torrent.

I've learned that to play only for the leaderboards makes the experience less fun. There is a certain score range for every table after which one can say they have "mastered" that table. After that it can be fun to see how far one can play and try out tricks and strategies but when there are several people pushing the boundaries, it gets competitive and it can get obsessive. Making some tables more about who has the most time to spend grinding the same stuff again and again. I think the more surgical my gameplay becomes, the less I remember to enjoy the sounds, the visuals, the overall experience of the game.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've learned that to play only for the leaderboards makes the experience less fun. There is a certain score range for every table after which one can say they have "mastered" that table. After that it can be fun to see how far one can play and try out tricks and strategies but when there are several people pushing the boundaries, it gets competitive and it can get obsessive. Making some tables more about who has the most time to spend grinding the same stuff again and again. I think the more surgical my gameplay becomes, the less I remember to enjoy the sounds, the visuals, the overall experience of the game.

That was exceptionally put.

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
+1.

Some scores reached in Top Ten just become... ridiculous. Where's the fun? Do these players enjoy grinding for hours?

Even if I was able to reach these scores, I pretty sure I won't try.

Sure they do, it just becomes more like a chore but the leaderboard placement is the reward. When the competition gets tougher, the work/reward ratio just gets distorted.

I play in my own bubble on xbox 360 and most high scores there aren't that ridiculous. Although I've pushed some boundaries just for fun, think I was the first to go over 10 billio on Junk Yard and done some grinding on other tables as well. None really forced though.

I've had a couple of my records broken but since they'd take 3-4 hours grinding a couple of shots, I let them pass. Not really worth to play for 4 hours just to show the world you can do one more ramp shot than the next guy :)

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
But doesn't that describe what timed tournaments turn into? it maybe 20 minute sessions but playing more games to refine your points per minute vs the next guy?

Competition summed up in an image

I don't have any experience about timed tournaments as xb360 has no support for any of that but I guess the same happens on anything where there is certain level of competition. First it is about the skill, then when skills are about equal, it becomes about strategies, when strategies and skills are about equal it becomes a competition of who has the stamina or time or will. It can also become a game of luck in case of some bugged tables or tables with bad kickouts. In timed tournaments the stamina is skipped. I still love the competition, no doubt about that. But there's a fine line between love and obsession. Between a reward and a "fix". I don't mean to sound too serious about this but after all it's a game that's supposed to be enjoyed rather than forced :)

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I don't mean to sound too serious about this but after all it's a game that's supposed to be enjoyed rather than forced :)

Well with the recent kickstarter tournament where there was basically an admission fee and prize to win people took it seriously and other people got upset*. Happens in any competitive game. Watching Jeapordy when growing up I thought.. why don't they ask the big money questions right off the bat? It is a real strategy but apparently the audience hates it

This thread is for complaing about tables people want to compete on, sure having a bugged table on a game while you're having fun sucks but you're not competing.

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
Well with the recent kickstarter tournament where there was basically an admission fee and prize to win people took it seriously and other people got upset*. Happens in any competitive game. Watching Jeapordy when growing up I thought.. why don't they ask the big money questions right off the bat? It is a real strategy but apparently the audience hates it

This thread is for complaing about tables people want to compete on, sure having a bugged table on a game while you're having fun sucks but you're not competing.

Sure.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Wizard Goals
Hall of Fame Points
High Score Leaderboards
Official Timed Tournaments
Challenges Leaderboards (which crashes the game, no one has reported it? dead feature?)
Local multiplayer (has issues, largely untested)

Head to Head
Hard Mode Leaderboards

Invitro's Top Player Leaderboard
Unofficial Tournaments (with written rules)
Speedrun Goals

We need more ways to play this game that doesn't result in bugs! /sarcasm

suffocater

Apr 4, 2015
I'm done. The running tourney showed me again that nearly everthing in PBA is tuned horrible, the physics are terrible and having to play tables that were obviously only produced to generate money, not to make fun playing them makes it not better at all. (looking at things like SS)
I won't buy season 6 bevor it is finished and I know what I get.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm done. The running tourney showed me again that nearly everthing in PBA is tuned horrible, the physics are terrible and having to play tables that were obviously only produced to generate money, not to make fun playing them makes it not better at all. (looking at things like SS)
I won't buy season 6 bevor it is finished and I know what I get.

Dude, I got news for you. If the first 5 seasons haven't already clued you in, this is what TPA is. The physics aren't going to suddenly change, and most here would call them a far cry from "terrible". You are essentially asking for the color purple to start looking green. You are entitled to your opinion, but your statements are ridiculous. Cash grab studios don't produce a game for 5+ years, re-up contracts with companies who could be adversely harmed by shoddy games, or maintain the kind of communication with it's user base as FarSight has done. There are a lot of criticisms you could level at FarSight, but you are swinging for the fences not even coming close to hitting the ball.

Mostly though I would ask this; ever heard the phrase "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?" If you are still buying 5 seasons in and truly feel the way you say you do, then you've been made a fool by your own doing 4 times. FarSight isn't gonna shut down because one user won't pony up $30 for the next season. Your threat is hollow and serves no purpose. Go back to playing VP, or enjoy some Pinball FX2 or the new Zaccaria tables soon to come to Steam. Come back when you have some actual constructive criticism.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts