Play The PS4 Version Today ! (In Select Locations)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I can tell that the physics have been improved but I'm not sure that I could explain in what way they've been improved. When I played STTNG I was thinking that the it just felt more real. I would really need to sit down in a quiet room to really get a better look at it. Standing at a booth in a really loud and busy expo room is not the best place to do a serious evaluation.

This was not a Sony kiosk like the one Joe was using. This was a FarSight booth at the Chicago Pinball Expo so its likely that the version I played is the most up to date version that has been approved by FarSight to be shown off to the public.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I can tell that the physics have been improved but I'm not sure that I could explain in what way they've been improved. When I played STTNG I was thinking that the it just felt more real. I would really need to sit down in a quiet room to really get a better look at it. Standing at a booth in a really loud and busy expo room is not the best place to do a serious evaluation.

This was not a Sony kiosk like the one Joe was using. This was a FarSight booth at the Chicago Pinball Expo so its likely that the version I played is the most up to date version that has been approved by FarSight to be shown off to the public.

Thanks for the reports back, very informative. Good to hear that your overall impressions are very positive.

Hope to see some video footage from someone, if permitted.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the reports back, very informative. Good to hear that your overall impressions are very positive.

Hope to see some video footage from someone, if permitted.

I'll see if I can get some video of someone playing today. Problem is that the demo is on a pretty small monitor so unless it was my wife or daughter playing I wouldn't be comfortable standing that close.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I'll see if I can get some video of someone playing today. Problem is that the demo is on a pretty small monitor so unless it was my wife or daughter playing I wouldn't be comfortable standing that close.

Nice one. Much appreciated by all, I'm sure! :D

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Sterling work there, brakel! Sounds like they've made some really impressive progress.

Hm... In fact, it sounds like it's about time I tell my friend that I'll take that extra PS4 pre-order off his hands...

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Yes get video! Who cares who is playing, just say "I'm gonna get a video of this for ________ (insert cool website like reddit, fark, tmz...). It will be a top news story." Then take the video.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Sony themselves said that they wanted to bump the CPU up to 1.8 Ghz. I'm assuming they can't due to heat issues.

They also only went 8 gigs to match Microsoft on paper. Sony doesn't need 3 gigs for an OS. Had they stood ground at 4 or 6 gigs it would have given them enough heat leeway to get the CPU to 1.8 or even 2.0 Ghz.

Yes I would like to tell Cerny how I feel! And tell him I think Marble Madness is amazing but I'm not feeling Knack.

Resogun uses like 50% of the GPU. It's a damn STG in an enclosed circle. OHHHHH, voxels yeah no not impressed at all and don't see what's so impressive about that game. Knack running variable 30-60fps and the tearing in Killzone, not even Sony 1st party it seems is super comfortable with GPGPU yet so ill wait till next year now if pnball arcade has major slowdown issues.

Devs will no doubt go the GPGPU route for some impressive looking games in the years ahead but that weak CPU is the bottleneck of the system now and forever. Don't even gets started on Xbone.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Let's please not get into a system specs argument in this thread. They're not going to change, and if FS can't make a 60 fps pinball game on any recent major console (which appears NOT to be the case anyway) they've got problems far beyond hardware.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the links, guys! The framerate looks a bit skippy as the ball goes along the elevated wireframes, but I'm guessing that's probably just due to the recording itself. Otherwise it looks very nice, would love to see a directly recorded video of this Expo demo version! It's so eerie seeing the balls glide in and out of the dynamic lights.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Thanks for the direct link Jeff.
I'll say it does look much improved. The balls look like they have actual weight to them now. Some nice tweaks on the physics.

Now I only wish they would get rid of that low res wood floor GIF! ;)

I would like to see a nice 1080p direct vid to see if they are still using the same table art from the previous version of TPA.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks for the vid, keep em comin!

This is off topic but I'm gonna say it anyway:

I dunno, I'm not all that impressed with the direction they're going on the PS4 version. It's the same as the PS3 with some tweaks. I was kinda hoping for a new experience. For example, I like the direction they went with the PHOF version how you travel around an arcade to pick your table. I'd like that back. And when I'm playing the machine, there are other machines and games around, ambient little things like that. Maybe npc's you can talk to in the arcade with tips and tricks, and play them for tournaments points, or gamble on single games. Machines in different states of repair, collectibles, secrets....so much could be done to keep it fresh and players excited.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.