Play The PS4 Version Today ! (In Select Locations)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I also get the impression the that the scale of the ball in proportion to the flippers is more accurate. At least compared to the PC beta version.

May be an optical illusion though!

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Lighting still looks odd though, especially with the ball in shade much of the time, until it gets near the flippers. Very strange.

That does look a little weird, like the shadowing on the mirrored ball is a little too pronounced maybe. Also now that I look at it again I can't see a ball reflection on the table beneath the ball, although that might just be down to low video quality.

I also get the impression the that the scale of the ball in proportion to the flippers is more accurate. At least compared to the PC beta version.

May be an optical illusion though!

They're not going to change the ball size. My first impression was that the ball looked bigger (vs the PS3 version) but I think that's just the ball reflections and lighting working differently, lighting up the edges of the ball more.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I think it looks cleaner and more realistic than the current console versions.

Hard to tell if that's slowdown or just the camera. It's shakey 30fps footage you can't tell anything about framerate really.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
So what does the PS4 menu look like and was the settings screen intact? If so, did you see an option to turn on 3D/adjust 3D level?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
We just got back home to take a break for a few hours and then we're going back after midnight. I played TPA on the PS4 for about 15 minutes. I played 4 different machines and played with the light settings a bit. There are three light settings dark, neutral and bright. The bright setting lights up the play field quite evenly with a nice diffused light. For those that want to see the art and toys in bright living color, this setting will work well. The neutral setting is like playing a table during the day with the lights off but a distant window lighting up the room. The dark setting is pretty nice with a more darkened table but not quite total lights out. Details can be seen even when not lit up by table lights. I thought that the neutral setting wasn't really needed and that there should be a darker setting than dark and that dark should be neutral. Bright can remain bright. The guy working the booth agreed and said that he didn't think the dark was dark enough and that you shouldn't be able to see the floor in the dark setting. He also said that the only person that mattered on the issue agreed that the dark setting should be darker. But darkness settings! Yea!

I didn't detect any flipper lag. I noticed that my shots were a little early at times so I'm thinking that it's going to be good on this issue.

I didn't see any frame rate slowdowns. I only got multiball going on STTNG and Gophers but I didn't see any issues.

I think the weird blooming effects that we've seen in some pictures have been toned down. I thought that the lighting was gorgeous.

My only real disappointment had nothing to do with the game. I didn't really like the controller. It seems smaller than the PS3 controller with smaller shoulder buttons. I'm sure I can get used to it. I didn't like the PS3 controllers at first either.

Now this sounds alot better. Maybe it's just CV that has slowdown issues?

Great impressions, I'm sold now. Lighting slider seals it for me. I've wanted that feature since day 1.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Cirqus Voltaire is also the only table on 360 that had slowdown, it's rare and it occurs only when you have a multiball and are at the lowest camera setting. So could just be an issue with the tables base code or something.

I was just ranting about the CPU cause that enraged me. Slowdown in the ps4? So I blamed the weak link of ps4 which is the CPU. But if everything else is running fine then it's a coding issue. Whatever, well see and maybe the final will be ok. These new positive impressions have me feeling better.

Yes Resogun explodes into thousands of voxals. Whoopty do. It just doesn't impress me. Looks cool but not omfg next gen amazing or anything. It also looks like a seriously average shooter but with the rest of the launch looking as meh as it does I can see why people are attaching to anything they can. I'm literally buying the box for pinball arcade and the fact the hardware itself ****s on xbone.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Now this sounds alot better. Maybe it's just CV that has slowdown issues?

Great impressions, I'm sold now. Lighting slider seals it for me. I've wanted that feature since day 1.

Discussion in this thread has covered two separate demos: the one Sony is showing at their PS4 kiosks around the country, which apparently only has CV, and multiball slowdown, and the one FarSight themselves are showing at Expo, which has four tables and no slowdown and is almost certainly based on more recent code than the one Sony has. So it's probably just that Sony has an older build that hadn't been fully optimized yet.

Also it sounds like the lighting option probably isn't a "slider," at least not with discrete settings, since we've now heard there are three preset lighting settings rather than a flexible range.

night

May 18, 2012

-> Something I noticed in the PC beta screenshots as well: is it me or does that wooden floor look really odd with these yellowish bright spots on both sides, like it's on fire or something..?? How hard can it be to make a decent monotone background without anything weird going on. (I just had a blue-planet carpet flashback). Just an observation..

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I loved the blue space carpet. It reminded me of this amazing arcade back in the 90s that I went to as a kid, that had Daytona USA 2, and Time Crisis 2 back when they were brand new. It was dark and had black lights everywhere, and an awesome bar in the middle that I was too young to drink. And it had that exact same space carpeting.

Why that was an issue for people? The wood floor is an absolute downgrade! What's hilarious too is that this "issue" was addressed before stuff like removing chimes, adding full nudging to mobile, taking out the event camera lol. Like, wut the? I would actually prefer an option to have it back.

night

May 18, 2012
I loved the blue space carpet. It reminded me of this amazing arcade back in the 90s that I went to as a kid, that had Daytona USA 2, and Time Crisis 2 back when they were brand new. It was dark and had black lights everywhere, and an awesome bar in the middle that I was too young to drink. And it had that exact same space carpeting.

Why that was an issue for people? The wood floor is an absolute downgrade! What's hilarious too is that this "issue" was addressed before stuff like removing chimes, adding full nudging to mobile, taking out the event camera lol. Like, wut the? I would actually prefer an option to have it back.

Mark, I hated the look of that carpet, but I am all for a menu option that users could set the backdrop to their own taste, be it a carpet or a corpse, whatever people like to see over there. In Zaccaria is switch it off, I prefer to see just the table and nothing else. It's all too low resolution picture mapping, nothing over there would look pretty in my opinion. I vote for a menu switch with a. carpet (just for you ;) ) b. a wooden floor and c. nothing (just for me :) )
Anyway, the wooden floor is a drawback because someone over at FarSight is not doing it's job right. A floor... it's not rocket science.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
But it's like arguing about low res floor textures in a fighting game or something.

I'm pretty picky about graphics and I never once looked at the floor space carpet and was like "OMG IT'S GOT TO GO". The focus is kinda, uhh, the pinball machine? To each his own though man.

Only difference it makes to me: now when I look at the environment the pinball machine is sitting, it looks like a Pool Hall vs what it used to look like which was an arcade. As far as low resolution again it is but it bothers me about as much as the low res flyers bother mea which is to say it doesn't. It's beyond trivial.

If anything those crappy speakers look the worst and that shoud be a valid complaint cause those 5 polygons they use for them could be used to make the ball launcher less octagonal on some tables lol.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
So what does the PS4 menu look like and was the settings screen intact? If so, did you see an option to turn on 3D/adjust 3D level?

So, about that menu.... :rolleyes:

As far as the frontent/menu goes. I'm all for something like this, but with pinball cabs...

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
So, about that menu.... :rolleyes:

As far as the frontent/menu goes. I'm all for something like this, but with pinball cabs...

So like in all of FS's "Pinball Hall of Fame" games? Because that was so awesome? (It really wasn't. : p)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

The PS4 menu looks exactly the same as the current TPA menu. I confirmed that the PS4 version will not release with 3D. The FarSight guy at the expo booth explained that when 3D is released for the PS3 it could be rolled out for the PS4 at the same time. However he has not been told if it will be rolled out for the PS4 when it rolls out for the PS3. It sounds like they just have not had time to work on the 3D fine tuning that needs to be done before they release it.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
So like in all of FS's "Pinball Hall of Fame" games? Because that was so awesome? (It really wasn't. : p)

You are right, the frontend in WPHOF wasn't awesome only because you had little control over it. For example you pressed up and it whips upstairs past a bunch of fake machines. In a good 3D frontend you would be able to position your machines the way you prefer and walk around them like an FPS. This along with a standard menu, and even a simple list of machines would be ideal.

If their goal is to digitize and preserve pinball machines why not preserve the entire machine? Being able to view the entire pinball cab in a 3D space would be cool.
At least I think it would.

The PS4 menu looks exactly the same as the current TPA menu. I confirmed that the PS4 version will not release with 3D. The FarSight guy at the expo booth explained that when 3D is released for the PS3 it could be rolled out for the PS4 at the same time. However he has not been told if it will be rolled out for the PS4 when it rolls out for the PS3. It sounds like they just have not had time to work on the 3D fine tuning that needs to be done before they release it.

Thanks for the clarification. I can't say I'm too surprised about the 3D not making the cut.

However, I really thought, with all of the negative comments they have been getting, along with their confirmation over 8 months ago where it was said they have a brand new artist working on the PS3 menu, they would change the Smart Phone style menu for the better.

Oh well. The main thing is the quality of the games for now I suppose.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
You are right, the frontend in WPHOF wasn't awesome only because you had little control over it. For example you pressed up and it whips upstairs past a bunch of fake machines. In a good 3D frontend you would be able to position your machines the way you prefer and walk around them like an FPS. This along with a standard menu, and even a simple list of machines would be ideal.

If their goal is to digitize and preserve pinball machines why not preserve the entire machine? Being able to view the entire pinball cab in a 3D space would be cool.
At least I think it would.

Thanks for the clarification. I can't say I'm too surprised about the 3D not making the cut.

However, I really thought, with all of the negative comments they have been getting, along with their confirmation over 8 months ago where it was said they have a brand new artist working on the PS3 menu, they would change the Smart Phone style menu for the better.

Oh well. The main thing is the quality of the games for now I suppose.

It's not that 3D hasn't "made the cut" but that they haven't had time to finish it yet.

There is a clue there in PS4 development in the statement that 3D could be rolled out for the PS4 at the same time. The only way that is true is if they are using the same 3D models for both systems. That's not surprising, I just think it's interesting.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It's not that 3D hasn't "made the cut" but that they haven't had time to finish it yet.

There is a clue there in PS4 development in the statement that 3D could be rolled out for the PS4 at the same time. The only way that is true is if they are using the same 3D models for both systems. That's not surprising, I just think it's interesting.

I meant that if didn't make the cut in demo systems.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I meant that if didn't make the cut in demo systems.

The PS3 demo once they load it has to play the game in 3D. I'm assuming they haven't made the 3D options menu yet. I think they wouldn't want to only have 3D on the PS4 demo. Also since the FarSight guy hasn't been told if/when 3D is being rolled out for the PS4 version, they probably aren't ready to announce to the public yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.