PS3 Tournament 9/17/13 - 9/24/13

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I'm with you ScotchYeti. At first, I really liked the theme and layout of TCP. Good graphics, good action. But the gameplay kinda sucks... Hit the two training shots (where the jump rope doesn't work half the time) train, get into a fight, get a cheap "knockout" drain. Repeat. It's a crappy table design, IMO. If the goal is to rail the center shots, then it shouldn't send so many cheap side drains, especially during the fights. The chances of a center drain are already huge with that center shot and the dual green ramps. Takes all the fun out of the board, IMO. Which is really disappointing, because I love the theme and graphics.

The new Space Shuttle plays great, but that kickout that kills your airlock IMMEDIATELY after launching the ball sucks. The real game doesn't do that. And it's so damn predictable. I end up nudging the table into a Tilt trying to prevent it. Just frustrating. It's rapidly approaching the AFM "random orbit SDTM drain" status in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like "Easy" tables... just good ones that don't cheap-shot half your balls before you ever get to touch them!!

bailorgana

Sep 18, 2012
I haven't played yet, but I'm assuming you can play each table as many times as you like? I'd like to see a tourney that is more like the real world. One game, winner takes it. No replays.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I haven't played yet, but I'm assuming you can play each table as many times as you like? I'd like to see a tourney that is more like the real world. One game, winner takes it. No replays.

Real world you can usually play multiple times but they take the most recent game rather than the highest. Even the best players can have a bad game because there is some luck involved.

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
I'd like it to be more like the "challenge" modes in the PHOF titles, where you can decide to to replay, but doing so will always erase your current score first. Could limit total number of replays as well.

Yeah, like brakel said.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Real world you can usually play multiple times but they take the most recent game rather than the highest. Even the best players can have a bad game because there is some luck involved.

The league I'm in, where it's a tournament every month with completely different tables than the previous month, we only get one shot. You can practice all you want beforehand, but once the tourney starts, it's first and only score posted. What I like about that is it gives average players like me a chance to actually excel when the top players have a bad stumble.

With TPA's tourney, I'll sit and grind a table til I have a respectable score. People complain about the extra balls and games that last too long, but if it was a one a done scenario, I think those incidents would be few and far between. I mean I can kill on RBION, but it's probably only one game in 10 when I get the super high scores, and probably only 1 in 40 for the beyond a billion score. Since I am allowed unlimited tries, it's only a matter of time before I reach the untouchable to most score.

With this tourney, look at the scores for CV and Whirlwind and then ask SKILL_SHOT how many times he played the tables to get up there. Guarantee it wasn't his first crack at 'em, but I also bet his first crack posted some pretty decent numbers. I think the cream will always rise to the top, but I'm not really gonna complain with the ability to play over and over as I benefit from it. Just sayin', it might be more fun (and stressful) if it was one and you're out.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
The league I'm in, where it's a tournament every month with completely different tables than the previous month, we only get one shot. You can practice all you want beforehand, but once the tourney starts, it's first and only score posted. What I like about that is it gives average players like me a chance to actually excel when the top players have a bad stumble.

With TPA's tourney, I'll sit and grind a table til I have a respectable score. People complain about the extra balls and games that last too long, but if it was a one a done scenario, I think those incidents would be few and far between. I mean I can kill on RBION, but it's probably only one game in 10 when I get the super high scores, and probably only 1 in 40 for the beyond a billion score. Since I am allowed unlimited tries, it's only a matter of time before I reach the untouchable to most score.

With this tourney, look at the scores for CV and Whirlwind and then ask SKILL_SHOT how many times he played the tables to get up there. Guarantee it wasn't his first crack at 'em, but I also bet his first crack posted some pretty decent numbers. I think the cream will always rise to the top, but I'm not really gonna complain with the ability to play over and over as I benefit from it. Just sayin', it might be more fun (and stressful) if it was one and you're out.

Yeah some really impressive scores. For me Personally I think the decent scores for most of the tables are from getting Xtra balls. That's the only explanation. I think you can get lot's of Xtra balls in WW CV TOM if you know the rule set and focus on those right from the start.

I would be curious to see how much of a difference it would be with Xtra balls turned off. I think it would be a huge difference.

Xtra balls off tounaments should be Mandatory. They already got got people split into Gold, Silver, bronze categories.

Next tournament Xtra balls off. Plain and simple.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
well, the tournament got me to warm up to DR. DUDE. I still don't understand all the rules, but I plan on reading them later. I just find this table very ugly and it literally hurts my eyes to play it for a long time. I would enjoy it more if it was just a whiteboard. but i'm starting to see the fun factor it has.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
well, the tournament got me to warm up to DR. DUDE. I still don't understand all the rules, but I plan on reading them later. I just find this table very ugly and it literally hurts my eyes to play it for a long time. I would enjoy it more if it was just a whiteboard. but i'm starting to see the fun factor it has.

I put up a decent score on the table. Don't care for it at all. I mostly hate the EM tables but Dr Dude is just....weird. I can't see the allure. Personal preference I know.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
does it seem like there are less players than the last tourney? I don't remember how many player were in the last tourney, but it seems a lot harder to score points.

cammanchee

May 29, 2013
This is my first time playing in any of the PS3 tournaments so I'm in the bronze bracket. Posted a decent score on Dr. Dude, Space Shuttle and Centaur so far. Along with skill shot I can also confirm that Centaur won't register rollover scores as well. I just got done playing a good game of Centaur and scored a little over 13,800,000, and I was only credited with a score of a little over 3,800,000. Kind of a bummer I won't get credit for the 13+ million but now that I know it won't register rollover scores, I will have to see how close I can get without rolling the score over. Tomorrow and over the weekend I will have more time to play the other tables and see how well I fare.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
does it seem like there are less players than the last tourney? I don't remember how many player were in the last tourney, but it seems a lot harder to score points.

Well in Silver level there's going to be a LOT less than the previous tourney. Isn't silver the top 10% from the last tourney? Currently there's just over 150 players. That's the beauty of splitting it up...you really can start to focus on who your competition is!

Yeah, until tonight, I hadn't given Dr. Dude remotely any thought. Read through the instructions, understand what the key shots are, not just need to execute consistently. I get multiball and then lose on almost immediately, so I never collect the jackpot. I do find it weird that with DD and PinBot, certain things carry over game to game if they haven't been collected. With DD it's the meter, on PB it's the solar value. Seems unfair that you can boost the table.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
Well in Silver level there's going to be a LOT less than the previous tourney. Isn't silver the top 10% from the last tourney? Currently there's just over 150 players. That's the beauty of splitting it up...you really can start to focus on who your competition is!

Yeah, until tonight, I hadn't given Dr. Dude remotely any thought. Read through the instructions, understand what the key shots are, not just need to execute consistently. I get multiball and then lose on almost immediately, so I never collect the jackpot. I do find it weird that with DD and PinBot, certain things carry over game to game if they haven't been collected. With DD it's the meter, on PB it's the solar value. Seems unfair that you can boost the table.

ahhh duh... silver level here too... that's the 2nd time i forgot that this tourney is divided into levels ...

oh, you can exploit pinbot also? thanks for the ammo... I usualy don't play that table. based on both of those tidbits I guess ill place in the top 40. not bad for me, considering I never show 3/4ths of these tables any love.

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
nevrmind

edited...I had another... ahhh duh moment... must be what we smoke here in Colorado.

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012

True! More players would mean that the difference between #20 and #50 is not that high. With <200 players you have to score well on all tables.

As usual finishing difficult goals is easier in a tournament. I was trying for weeks to "Join the Circus" to complete the last wizard goal, only managed it twice in the past and in both cases the table became stuck (the infamous end-of-ball bug). And today? Got it in my 2nd game (of course it doesn't count for the wizard goals but nevertheless, it was a fine game).

VMethos

Jun 29, 2012
I only just realized that there was a tournament happening last night when I finally decided to download the latest table pack with Goin Nuts and Flight 2000 (already purchased season 2 some time ago). I've been kind of busy playing a much different game that came out on Tuesday. ;)

Anyways, I haven't even posted a single score yet, what pinball I did play after GTAV last night was spent on the new tables for a short time.
With the number of tables in the tourney and the fact that I want to spend most of my free time this weekend playing something else, I'll probably just make 2 or 3 attempts per table and see where that gets me.

Also, I logged into the tournament area last night and I guess I'm in the Bronze level? I'm assuming that the kickstarter supporter tournaments aren't part of this ranking system... does anyone know for certain? I totally missed the fist public ps3 tournament, so that would make sense as to why I'm bronze level instead of silver after winning the TZ supporter tournament.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I only just realized that there was a tournament happening last night when I finally decided to download the latest table pack with Goin Nuts and Flight 2000 (already purchased season 2 some time ago). I've been kind of busy playing a much different game that came out on Tuesday. ;)

Anyways, I haven't even posted a single score yet, what pinball I did play after GTAV last night was spent on the new tables for a short time.
With the number of tables in the tourney and the fact that I want to spend most of my free time this weekend playing something else, I'll probably just make 2 or 3 attempts per table and see where that gets me.

Also, I logged into the tournament area last night and I guess I'm in the Bronze level? I'm assuming that the kickstarter supporter tournaments aren't part of this ranking system... does anyone know for certain? I totally missed the fist public ps3 tournament, so that would make sense as to why I'm bronze level instead of silver after winning the TZ supporter tournament.

Until (if?) FS comes up with a way to let us know when there's a tournament, you gotta come here every day! ;)

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts