So Zen visited Stern today...

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It definitely seems like zen will be taking over stern reproductions. Who knows what the farsight contract has and if there are any conditions that would allow zen in without any legal issues.
It could be a good thing. With their considerable resources, they may be able to bring many popular and demanded tables into digital reproduction that farsight won't be able to get.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
and the cameras and the rulesets and the DMD instructions while the ball is moving...

I like their cameras, I think they're quite a bit better than TPA's that's for sure. The rulesets are just fine.
I agree with you about the DMD's though. Their DMD work is really poorly timed and paced with poor flashers/visual ques on held ball releases. I'd say that is the one thing of theirs most unlike real tables (even more then their physics)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I guess if one likes the moving cameras they're good, but only stationary cams for me. Their locked cams are always too far away. If I see too much space surrounding the areas of where the ball actually rolls, it frustrates me that that space is being wasted and could be better used by pushing the camera up closer.

As far as their rules go, I find them overly convoluted and never make any sense to me. Maybe they would make more sense if they would give me a chance to read the damn DMD while I'm trying to keep the ball alive!

On second thought, maybe the ruleset issue is on me. Maybe if Zen would include detailed rules as FS does, I'd have a better time with Zen. I know my favorite is Fantastic Four, and that is due to the fact that I understand what I'm doing on that one.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Ah **** I could have googled it.
Didn't think in that direction... Wasn't it called wwf when I was a kid? Practically not present in the media in Germany...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It was WWF, but then the World Wildlife Foundation sued and said they had those initials first.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It was WWF, but then the World Wildlife Foundation sued and said they had those initials first.

I've wondered about that...I always figured it was some kind of steamy, inner rebellion that led to the change. The truth is much more tame, it seems...or "wild", as it were.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
Oooooh. It's been a while since I've checked Shoryuken's stuff. Look how nicely organized it is now. I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you Biff. I'll thank you now and curse you later.

Bahhhh, agreed! ;) "ahhhhhhh- CURse youuu aquaa-scuuummm!!"

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
It definitely seems like zen will be taking over stern reproductions. Who knows what the farsight contract has and if there are any conditions that would allow zen in without any legal issues.
It could be a good thing. With their considerable resources, they may be able to bring many popular and demanded tables into digital reproduction that farsight won't be able to get.

If they're going to do SAM tables, cool! I'd prefer that Farsight keeps it going with what they're doing now and focus on improving it. I'll buy the new Sterns from Zen and the old ones from Farsight.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
No one liked my idea that Stern will incorporate virtual elements into their games?
Way better than useless video clips like in WOZ.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
If they're going to do SAM tables, cool! I'd prefer that Farsight keeps it going with what they're doing now and focus on improving it. I'll buy the new Sterns from Zen and the old ones from Farsight.

I would be pleased to see anyone making the modern sterns. They've been on a roll for the last few years with some really great tables that stand up to many of the classic wms games in terms of bells/whistles and playfield layouts.

It's so interesting stern had really been showing lots of classic tables on their social media lately. It's not like farsight and zen have animosity. They seem to play nice and publicly praise each other. I would be fine with a classic contract (pre-Sam) for farsight and modern contract for zen if they can get the more realistic physics down. Or if zen ends up buying farsight and allowing the to run autonomously, that may work well too.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I would be pleased to see anyone making the modern sterns. They've been on a roll for the last few years with some really great tables that stand up to many of the classic wms games in terms of bells/whistles and playfield layouts.

It's so interesting stern had really been showing lots of classic tables on their social media lately. It's not like farsight and zen have animosity. They seem to play nice and publicly praise each other. I would be fine with a classic contract (pre-Sam) for farsight and modern contract for zen if they can get the more realistic physics down. Or if zen ends up buying farsight and allowing the to run autonomously, that may work well too.
Bowflex,sounds great to me !!! :cool:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
If Zen do steal this license, I hope they remain friends with Farsight. It has been nice to see them chatting on Twitter, praising each others games and that kind of thing.

SmoothBalls

May 28, 2015
For me it's all down to the physics and pin accuracy on the board, who would you choose Farsight or Zen?
for me it's hands down Farsight, they have the history, knowledge, and thousands of man hours put into there tables.

Flashy CG animations and poor ball physics do not cut it for me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.