So Zen visited Stern today...

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I believe if zen is doing the new sterns, that they will be recompiled. it won't be emulation. Since stern will have the source it will be pretty easy to script things accurately.

That said Zen is not replicating reality with their physics, and never has been. so they will have to tweak it so the flippers act like real ones. nudging will work totally different.

This would be cool if i actually liked modern stern games.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I believe if zen is doing the new sterns, that they will be recompiled. it won't be emulation. Since stern will have the source it will be pretty easy to script things accurately.

So true, whoever gets the job - if there really is a job out there - dont care about emulation.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
With as complex as the rulesets are these days, I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't at least try to get ROM emulation in place. It would save them a ton of time in the long run if this is going to be a long term relationship, hypothetically speaking of course.

invitro

May 4, 2012
That said Zen is not replicating reality with their physics, and never has been. so they will have to tweak it so the flippers act like real ones.
Why would they have to do this? Zen's stuff seems to sell just fine as it is. :)

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
No one liked my idea that Stern will incorporate virtual elements into their games?

I don't like the idea at all, but it could be true.
Stern plans to have LCD screens in the future.
Maybe you see weird PinballFX stuff on the backglass someday.
You sink the ball, play a little PinballFX on the backglass and then continue on the normal playfield.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Why would they have to do this? Zen's stuff seems to sell just fine as it is. :)

Because otherwise the Stern pins wouldn't feel close to the real machines at all in terms of flipper bounce, ball control, etc. Maybe Stern would be OK with that, but I would hope not.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
exactly. recreations of real games need to play like the real ones. sure zen could keep the ball trails, but the rubbers should have the same bounce the real game has. the flippers should have the same power. the tilt system needs to be the real life one and not the zen regenerating warnings style.

and romulation has it's own troubles, as we've seen with ripleys. better to recompile from source.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Back earlier in this thread, someone said that Stern maybe looking to build virtual elements in their tables. Has anyone thought that perhaps Stern is going to do a real table based on a Zen original design? I didn't see that idea brought up here in this thread unless I missed it. But the possibilities my oh my....

A REAL Secrets of the Deep maybe? LOL this would be cool.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I really hope Zen does start making Stern SAM tables. I don't get a chance to go out to play much anymore and I want to check out these new tables!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Back earlier in this thread, someone said that Stern maybe looking to build virtual elements in their tables. Has anyone thought that perhaps Stern is going to do a real table based on a Zen original design? I didn't see that idea brought up here in this thread unless I missed it. But the possibilities my oh my....

Yeah, nice idea!
I would kill for a real secrets of the deep (my favorite zen).

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

Now that would be a cool idea. If they made a real Excalibur or Earth Defense I'd drop up to 8k on it today.
Secrets of the Deep would be good too though.

Members online

Members online