T2 Screens

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
And none of them have that "has anyone heard of knocking before coming in to the bathroom" look on them.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
And none of them have that "has anyone heard of knocking before coming in to the bathroom" look on them.

Doesn't it depend on the angle you look at it? I think we're seeing the surprised look because of the low angle screen shots. Look at the pic I stole from IPDB.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Eyes are too round and "surprised" looking, instead of mean. Obviously it needs more "Chrome gleam" as well.

This pinkish lighting effect SUCKS. Enough with it already, I'm not going to Strawberry Shortcake's crib to play pinball, fer crissake.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This pinkish lighting effect SUCKS. Enough with it already, I'm not going to Strawberry Shortcake's crib to play pinball, fer crissake.
For some reason the screenshots always have a pink glow to them, which is not present in the actual game.

EDIT: Apparently it is, at least on PS3...

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Believe it or not, no one's reported either of those tables being pink until now as far as I can tell. I hope the PC version comes out OK...

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry Fungi, english is not my first language as it is yours!
Btw:
:D
forum

Very strange looking with white teeth...

FARSIGHT...Just make it reflective shiny chrome like the pinball...PLEASE!!
We all know the PS3,Mac,PC, Vita are capable of handling it, so please don't dumb it down for the smart phone versions.

+What would they have done had they not made bank on Kickstarter?

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
Real time reflection on objects, apart from the ball, are a problem here, and that's probably the reason why the skull texture looks like this now. Everything you see on the 3D-elements in this and other tables is texture mapping. You have an element and you wrap a texture around it, that's how it's done. And to texture map a believable chrome 'look' on a complicated shape like this is perhaps a bridge too far for the graphic team. As chrome behaves like a mirror. You don't texture wrap chrome, it's a real-time rendering thingy, and as said, that's going to be an issue for some technical reason or another with dynamic 3D. Pre-rendering, that's why.. no issue at all, but what do I know.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
You don't texture wrap chrome, it's a real-time rendering thingy, and as said, that's going to be an issue for some technical reason or another with dynamic 3D. Pre-rendering, that's why.. no issue at all, but what do I know.
How can reflective chrome require real-time rendering and yet still be suitable for pre-rendering, especially considering the gazillion possible combinations of lights and moving objects (up to 3 balls) that may be reflected in the skull's surface?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I am hoping these change significantly between now and PS3 release time. How you can have a T2 where the skull is pink/purple and not gleaming chrome - or at least silver/gray/lead color - just blows my mind. The whole thing has that awful pink hue to it that we've seen other tables hurt by and that really bugs me with this one.

I see the weird pinky orange lighting is in full effect here. : P Of course gosh only knows how the PS3 version will turn out. 8o

The pink hue is kind of annoying. I wish they would get rid of it, seriously.

Pink hue again. What else is new.

Yeah. Seriously.

You don't need the power of the PS4 or a high end PC to not have a pinkish-orange lighting scheme. It has got to go.

And the skull just straight up looks messed up. Farsight is usually good with 3D modelling the toys, so what happened here? It's very ape-like and needs CHROMED.

Chroming is quite literally one of the easiest things to do and it's been around since the dawn of 3D gaming. See: Super Mario 64 Metallic Mario, or Dural from Virtua Fighter 3 on how to do it. Both released in 1996.

N

netizen

How can reflective chrome require real-time rendering and yet still be suitable for pre-rendering, especially considering the gazillion possible combinations of lights and moving objects (up to 3 balls) that may be reflected in the skull's surface?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Uhhh...

Yeah cause god knows PS3 and 360 can't handle this kind of rendering. You need something incredibly powerful like the Dreamcast to pull it off.

night

May 18, 2012

Correct, you cannot see real-life reflections with pre-rendering. What I mean is that you don't have the problem with trying to texture map chrome in pre-rendering, you just render the object in chrome and it will look perfect if you know what you're doing. But with dynamic 3D things are much more complicated. At least that's how it seems to be in this case, otherwise we would have seen a chrome skull. It looks dull and grey now so FarSight don't have to worry about it's mirror-like appearance which will probably eat lots of resource power. And to texture map chrome, you will need to make a flat 2D image with all the reflections falling on the right places on the skull's features when wrapped around it, and that's not a little something. On top of that, just as with pre-rendering, a texture map will not reflect the ball real-life as it is just a static image. But I doubt you will notice it, if the illusion of chrome is there then you will forgive that.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Correct, you cannot see real-life reflections with pre-rendering. What I mean is that you don't have the problem with trying to texture map chrome in pre-rendering, you just render the object in chrome and it will look perfect if you know what you're doing. But with dynamic 3D things are much more complicated. At least that's how it seems to be in this case, otherwise we would have seen a chrome skull. It looks dull and grey now so FarSight don't have to worry about it's mirror-like appearance which will probably eat lots of resource power. And to texture map chrome, you will need to make a flat 2D image with all the reflections falling on the right places on the skull's features when wrapped around it, and that's not a little something. On top of that, just as with pre-rendering, a texture map will not reflect the ball real-life as it is just a static image. But I doubt you will notice it, if the illusion of chrome is there then you will forgive that.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying it.

There's no excuse. They could then do a chrome texture map that doesn't reflect.

Games on the Nintendo 64, PlayStation and Sega Saturn all feature metallic textures that reflect the environment.

I can't even believe this is a discussion point and people are giving Farsight an excuse. Nonsense...

BTW that video I posted of Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast is messed up due to emulator. On real Dreamcast hardware Zack's body reflects the environment around him, down to the green light sources that are hanging off him.

This should be a total cinch on any modern (and ancient!!) hardware.

night

May 18, 2012
Uhhh...

Yeah cause god knows PS3 and 360 can't handle this kind of rendering. You need something incredibly powerful like the Dreamcast to pull it off.

Exactly Mark, and even then, with the possibilities of this console this example still looks pretty crap.

night

May 18, 2012
I'm sorry but I'm not buying it.

There's no excuse. They could then do a chrome texture map that doesn't reflect.

Games on the Nintendo 64, PlayStation and Sega Saturn all feature metallic textures that reflect the environment.

I can't even believe this is a discussion point and people are giving Farsight an excuse. Nonsense...

BTW that video I posted of Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast is messed up due to emulator. On real Dreamcast hardware Zack's body reflects the environment around him, down to the green light sources that are hanging off him.

This should be a total cinch on any modern (and ancient!!) hardware.

I don't give FarSight an excuse, hey, it's up to them to fix it one way or another. I don't care how they do it. All I am saying is that the reason the skull looks the way it does now is not just a texture 'mistake'. They can't do it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Maybe I'm reading you wrong night. Are you saying it's not possible or it is? I don't think the skull needs to reflect the environment or other balls. But it definitely needs to be chrome!

This is the team that pulled off the hologram on CftBL which I have never seen done... and they did it to perfection too. But they can't get a simple chrome skull correct? I call shenanigans!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts