Table Pack #31/Halloween/Start of Season 4 Speculation Thread

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I don't think I've ever seen a Swords of Fury, and I haven't thought about it much. So I just checked it out on ipdb and it is beautiful, looks really interesting, and I want it.

<Image>

It seems more complex than other tables of that era? A little? And I love Doug Watson art. I wonder if the sounds are any good... Williams late-80s machines seemed to usually have really great sound.

I already wanted your other four suggestions. So I'm on board with all five... show me where to sign!

P.S. I would add Flash and Pharoah to my personal 1979-1989 unlicensed list.

Its not really any more complicated than the others from the era, its mostly the fun unique layout that makes it great.

I think I recall playing it way back when. It's one of those tables that seem to focus on one aspect of the table rule set and that's that. A vid <video> shows how basic the game is. Just go for MB and have at it. It looks nice but there isn't much else on the table that stands out.

An 80s game where your main goal is multi-ball?! Preposterous! ;)

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
I see so many people saying "Freddy will require a Kickstarter". I honestly don't think so.

I thought for sure BSD would have required one and we see how that worked out. :)

The main thing with Freddy is licensing the actual Freddy Krueger character himself. You also have to pay actor Robert Englund, whose voice is featured prominently in the game. There are a couple of direct non-Freddy quotes from the films but most of the non-Freddy audio I noticed was new. Those actors will have to be paid a little though, I'm sure. Composer Charles Bernstein's original Nightmare on Elm Street theme is heard, but it's not the EXACT theme. It's a midi-like cover. So, I'm not sure if that will require permission or not, since it's not a sample from his actual score.

And folks... Warner Bros. licenses Freddy out for EVERYTHING.
Freddy-Krueger-Candy-Bowl-Holder.jpg

81gvpp0eC4L._SY355_.jpg

5ffea15b.gif

All kinds of crazy, random stuff...
freddy_krueger_apron_1.jpg

13956022967292044386066.jpeg

seven-foot-inflatable-freddy-krueger-xl.jpg

There is even a Freddy toaster...

DYF10124.jpg

So if FarSight came calling, I honestly think Warner Bros. would definitely hear them out.

If there's one thing Warner Bros. has proven moreso now than back in the peak of the franchises' New Line Cinema hey-day... they love making money on Freddy Krueger.

Last edited:

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
The thing to remember about Eight Ball Deluxe's popularity, (and the reason that I would like to see it come to The Pinball Arcade), is the nostalgia factor. Eight Ball Deluxe's ruleset is not incredibly deep as I recall. The sounds and light show are not bad, but not amazing. By all those counts, it probably should be passed by. But, TONS of these machines used to be scattered around arcades, pizza parlors, and other pinball-offering establishments back in the day.

I remember playing Eight Ball Deluxe a lot back then because, well, it was there. The main reason I got into The Pinball Arcade in the first place is for the nostalgia. There are some tables that I have since played on The Pinball Arcade and have to concede are probably "objectively" better with deeper rulesets, better light shows, better music, and more satisfying sound effects and targets to shoot for. But, I didn't have the anticipation for those tables anywhere near what I had for real favorites like High Speed, Black Knight 2000, Whirlwind, Firepower, and yes, even Eight Ball Deluxe if it were to come.

In that same vein, I'm really looking forward to Eight Ball Deluxe, F-14 Tomcat, Xenon, Red & Ted's Roadshow, High Speed II: The Getaway, Earthshaker, Jokerz!, Riverboat Gambler, Comet, Cyclone, Firepower II, Flash, and others. We may not see all of those, but I'd anticipate them with great zeal. I'd also love to see some more electro-mechanical tables for this same reason. You can argue that there are already very similar tables, or better tables, or whatever. It doesn't matter. I used to play those tables, and that's why I'm anticipating them far more than tables that are superior in gameplay (like Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Attack From Mars, etc.) that I didn't play back in the day. I've grown to love some of these newer tables, but they were never the reason I got into The Pinball Arcade. So yes, I am (and I believe others are) looking forward to Eight Ball Deluxe much more than to other "superior" tables, and I'm sticking to that story.

I'm also sticking to your story.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
The thing to remember about Eight Ball Deluxe's popularity, (and the reason that I would like to see it come to The Pinball Arcade), is the nostalgia factor. Eight Ball Deluxe's ruleset is not incredibly deep as I recall. The sounds and light show are not bad, but not amazing. By all those counts, it probably should be passed by. But, TONS of these machines used to be scattered around arcades, pizza parlors, and other pinball-offering establishments back in the day.

I remember playing Eight Ball Deluxe a lot back then because, well, it was there. The main reason I got into The Pinball Arcade in the first place is for the nostalgia. There are some tables that I have since played on The Pinball Arcade and have to concede are probably "objectively" better with deeper rulesets, better light shows, better music, and more satisfying sound effects and targets to shoot for. But, I didn't have the anticipation for those tables anywhere near what I had for real favorites like High Speed, Black Knight 2000, Whirlwind, Firepower, and yes, even Eight Ball Deluxe if it were to come.

In that same vein, I'm really looking forward to Eight Ball Deluxe, F-14 Tomcat, Xenon, Red & Ted's Roadshow, High Speed II: The Getaway, Earthshaker, Jokerz!, Riverboat Gambler, Comet, Cyclone, Firepower II, Flash, and others. We may not see all of those, but I'd anticipate them with great zeal. I'd also love to see some more electro-mechanical tables for this same reason. You can argue that there are already very similar tables, or better tables, or whatever. It doesn't matter. I used to play those tables, and that's why I'm anticipating them far more than tables that are superior in gameplay (like Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Attack From Mars, etc.) that I didn't play back in the day. I've grown to love some of these newer tables, but they were never the reason I got into The Pinball Arcade. So yes, I am (and I believe others are) looking forward to Eight Ball Deluxe much more than to other "superior" tables, and I'm sticking to that story.

I would think one could make an argument that adding 2 or 3 of these early SS tables each season would be of benefit to both Farsight and us the consumer. First, it would slow the depletion of the remaining easily (relatively) obtainable modern tables. Second, these should be the easiest (quickest) tables to turn out since the are mostly all single level with a lot less parts to disassemble, scan, recreate etc versus a modern DMD. Plus, they have ROMs (assuming the emulation is working), so no scripting of ruleset would need to be done unlike there would be with EM's. Third and finally, this may allow them to actually get done a little ahead of schedule which would allow some time go back and work on promised and long over due updates such as cabinet support, dx11, and console updates, and general fixes.

If you would scatter 2 or 3 of these in per season, we may actually end up more tables in the long run and a much better overall product. I would be fine with a season of these tables, but I can't see the younger crowd buying season packs without DMD tables, so they would need to be mixed in with modern tables. But, I am probably off the mark. Wouldn't be the first time....

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah, EBD is a table that, while isn't a paragon of solid state design, it has historical value and a large run, and thus should be preserved.

It would also be the first early SS Bally ever. that said... those early Ballys need tap passing, which is impossible in TPA, so until they work out better flipper physics, it will be a letdown.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, EBD is a table that, while isn't a paragon of solid state design, it has historical value and a large run, and thus should be preserved.

It would also be the first early SS Bally ever. that said... those early Ballys need tap passing, which is impossible in TPA, so until they work out better flipper physics, it will be a letdown.

EBD isn't the most fun game ever produced but it is enjoyable to play and its popularity is key. These machines were everywhere for a while and because of that, there should be quite a bit of nostalgia and familiarity. Good way to get sales by tapping into what the public is familiar with. To a pinball fanatic it is a decent game but nothing special. To the general public at large, it is a game that a large number of people aged 35 and up would likely have experienced and remember. Good gateway game to bring more sales in if it gets released.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
EBD isn't the most fun game ever produced but it is enjoyable to play and its popularity is key. These machines were everywhere for a while and because of that, there should be quite a bit of nostalgia and familiarity. Good way to get sales by tapping into what the public is familiar with. To a pinball fanatic it is a decent game but nothing special. To the general public at large, it is a game that a large number of people aged 35 and up would likely have experienced and remember. Good gateway game to bring more sales in if it gets released.

Totally agree with that.

karl

May 10, 2012

I think you forgot about Centaur, from the same year :) but I agree that we need more Bally ss games from that same time. (77-81) In 82 it all started to go a bit wrong and the quality dropped for a few years

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
EBD isn't the most fun game ever produced but it is enjoyable to play and its popularity is key.
Come on!

Regarding production numbers and thus popularity there other tables leading:
Mata Hari
Play Boy
Eight Ball

The EM Royal Flush also had more than 15000 when adding versions together.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
They announced it last week on Facebook as a response and also during an interview or two, bobby king announced it. Pics should be forthcoming.

They usually post a picture of the table flyer and a confirmation of the table. I didn't see any of that last week.

I did, however, see a re-post of the table hint.

I just wanna see pics of the table. I hope it looks great!

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
They usually post a picture of the table flyer and a confirmation of the table. I didn't see any of that last week.

I did, however, see a re-post of the table hint.

I just wanna see pics of the table. I hope it looks great!

They posted it as a comment underneath the repost of the hint (the table name, not the flyer) It was in response to the guesses.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts