Table pack #40 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I keep seeing that because EA is involved with Monopoly, that means it's 100% a no go for TPA. That is not really true. EA has the rights to DIGITAL versions of Monopoly, yes. The actual Monopoly license is Hasbro's if I'm not mistaken, and considering my local grocery store runs a Monopoly game promotion, and that I see Monopoly imagery on all sorts of things, EA is obviously not the sole keeper of it.

To me this would have to be pulled off similarly to how FarSight pulled off the Terminator deal. This is an existing machine in the real world, that in no way is meant to compete with digital versions of Monopoly, and would not siphon customers from EA. Would FS need to get EA's permission? Probably, but the actual license would need to be gotten from Hasbro or whoever the parent company is.

And no, I have no special inside knowledge of anything to do with this particular situation. It's just what makes sense.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, Farsight could do Monopoly with EA's permission. Problem is, that permission wouldn't happen. EA is known to be extremely heavy-handed and lawyerriffic in licensing deals. And Farsight has limited resources to chase licensing deals and can go after a whole lot more lower-hanging fruit before tilting at that particular windmill. It's not that Monopoly can't happen, but it won't anytime soon if ever.

tizzomr

Feb 10, 2013
Does anybody know for sure that EA still has the Monopoly license??? I got the latest Monopoly game on PS4, and UBI soft put it out. I think Monopoly is my top vote by far.

fantsu

Jun 1, 2014
Does anybody know for sure that EA still has the Monopoly license??? I got the latest Monopoly game on PS4, and UBI soft put it out. I think Monopoly is my top vote by far.

Yes, EA still has it. Bought Monopoly board game just a week ago, and the newest version has EA logos all over it.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Just curious, if Safecracker is selected, what Lawlors are left? We must be running low on Ritchies and Lawlors now, probably the two most well thought of designers.

I don't think that FarSight bases their table selection completely on who the designer is. When TPA was first introduced, there were three tables in the first 8 designed by John Popaduik. (These were ToTAN, ToM, and CV)-and none since. I am increasingly doubting that the manufacturer has any bearing on table selection as well. We would probably see more Sterns and Gottliebs if this were the case, although we did get two "Stern IP" tables this season with PoTO, and SST.

WMS tables simply have more recognition and selling power, regardless of whomever designed the tables. FarSight probably was able to obtain the Lawlor tables faster than the Ritchie ones, and thus was able to complete them for season 4.

Don't get any of this too twisted-I luvs me sum Steve Ritchie tables. I'm still hoping FarSight can bring No Fear, Rollergames, and of course, HS2 to TPA.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I don't think that FarSight bases their table selection completely on who the designer is. When TPA was first introduced, there were three tables in the first 8 designed by John Popaduik. (These were ToTAN, ToM, and CV)-and none since. I am increasingly doubting that the manufacturer has any bearing on table selection as well. We would probably see more Sterns and Gottliebs if this were the case, although we did get two "Stern IP" tables this season with PoTO, and SST.

WMS tables simply have more recognition and selling power, regardless of whomever designed the tables. FarSight probably was able to obtain the Lawlor tables faster than the Ritchie ones, and thus was able to complete them for season 4.

Don't get any of this too twisted-I luvs me sum Steve Ritchie tables. I'm still hoping FarSight can bring No Fear, Rollergames, and of course, HS2 to TPA.

There are only two other John Popadiuks left, and we're unlikely to ever see either of them:
- World Cup Soccer (yeah, FIFA, that nice homely bunch of corrupt geriatrics, maybe if you have a brown paper bag with $10MM in used 20's they'd start to listen...)
- Star Wars Episode I (licensing, plus the fact it's a Pinball 2000 and I don't even want to think about how they'd get that working)

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Whn is the season closer out? Next friday or two weeks from now?

Doubtful for this Friday. No achievements for "table #40" are on Steam yet. Usually they appear as early as two weeks out. The 24th of July sounds about right.

But FarSight did give Facebook users another crack at the clue. While I'm guessing it'll be Safe Cracker, and I will be getting that one, I wanted High Speed 2 more. Don't think after the awesome "Red and Ted", we will be getting HS2 back-to-back.

I would love it though if the "Getaway" on that truck means something like a "vacation getaway", like some kind of Surfing and Safari trip.

Yes folks, I still want Surf N' Safari. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that FarSight will want to close the season with a much more popular table.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Surf N Safari is actually pretty darn good, as a later Gottlieb goes. I liked it enough to make the table in visual pinball. :)

But it's 75% to be safecracker and 25% to be getaway i think.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
In another thread a FS employee just said the next iOS update is slated for 7/24, Apple approval notwithstanding. Since that's a Friday, I think we can safely assume that the next table will hit on 7/24.

I'm 99% certain it will be Safe Cracker, based on all the evidence so far presented (re: the van in the DMD). Not sure what to think. I'm not overly enthusiastic about "gimmick" games like that - it's also the main reason I'm not particularly excited about the idea of Pinball Circus, never mind that it never made it past beta.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
In another thread a FS employee just said the next iOS update is slated for 7/24, Apple approval notwithstanding. Since that's a Friday, I think we can safely assume that the next table will hit on 7/24.

I'm 99% certain it will be Safe Cracker, based on all the evidence so far presented (re: the van in the DMD). Not sure what to think. I'm not overly enthusiastic about "gimmick" games like that - it's also the main reason I'm not particularly excited about the idea of Pinball Circus, never mind that it never made it past beta.

Never assume anything with Apple they've delayed things before.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Never assume anything with Apple they've delayed things before.

Yes but if it's slated for 7/24 for iOS, that means 7/24 for Android and Steam as well. No such problems with delays there (to date).

Anyway guess we'll find out Thursday or Friday which is when the betas typically go out.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

The consensus on the internets is that PC may hold one's interest for 10 minutes, and that's it. I think FarSight would be more interested in bringing tables to TPA that have more of a degree of replay (no pun intended) value.

One case in point-I like Xenon, but it's not one I'd like to play for long extended periods, but one I can enjoy every few days, or weeks for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online