Table Pack #41 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
it's not a toggle. you press the handle up to shift up and down to shift down. but shifting down is totally pointless.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
it's not a toggle. you press the handle up to shift up and down to shift down. but shifting down is totally pointless.

Isn't this the definition of "toggle"? :)

But seriously, all that would be needed is one button that shows 2 states. Heck, the button could even look like the shifter with the knob either in the up position or down.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
no. it's a lever that returns to CENTER.

it trips one switch when you press up, and the other when you press down.

anyone who has actually played the game in real life knows this. :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Isn't this the definition of "toggle"? :)

Goggle says: "switch from one effect, feature, or state to another by using a toggle" for the appropriate verb def'n, and for the noun, "a key or command that toggles between two modes, such as the caps lock key."

I think it is. But the caps lock key has the same action to get to both states, while the shifter doesn't.

What counts with the shifter is the process of shifting, and not what "mode" the shifter is in, right? I don't remember HS2 too well (I hated it but hope to get a new appreciation of it in TPA). Perhaps this could influence whether it's a toggle, too...

Is a light switch a toggle? Here's a (inane) reference:
Replacing a Toggle Light Switch with a Rocker Style Switch

[i luvs def'ns]

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
the "shifter" is actually a 2 way joystick.

the only mode that actually cares which way you press is is video mode, and there's never any reason to shift down in it.

And if you hated it in real life, it's probably because of the evil left outlane and the kickback that is only automatically lit at GAME START and reaching redline mania. If they do it right it will also be an issue here. you can have your game end in 2 minutes even though you are on ball 1 with 5 extra balls stacked if you start having left outlane troubles.

in real life people will use their knee to bump the shifter up to shift gears while still keeping both hands on the flippers.

Those people are pansies. Real men remove their hand from the right flipper to shift gears as the designer intended. :)

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
no. it's a lever that returns to CENTER.

it trips one switch when you press up, and the other when you press down.

I agree with you then. They'll use the Magna-Save buttons for it.

Another Season 5 table, Frankenstein, has a gear-shifter for its autoplunger... I think it stays up or down.

invitro

May 4, 2012
And if you hated it in real life, it's probably because of the evil left outlane and the kickback that is only automatically lit at GAME START and reaching redline mania. If they do it right it will also be an issue here. you can have your game end in 2 minutes even though you are on ball 1 with 5 extra balls stacked if you start having left outlane troubles.
I never hate a game because it's too hard... too easy, if anything. I love hard tables. I thought it was repetitive and boring, and too similar to High Speed, and I don't like a table just because it's a Steve Ritchie design. But v.e. says the wizard mode makes all the difference.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
You just had a good game when you played it in real life. this table can kick you to the curb like no other when it's in the mood. once the kickback is used, there seems to be a magnet pulling the ball to the left outlane.

of course the only magnets the game actually has are in the supercharger. but nearly any ball headed anywhere near that left outlane will go in.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Hah! Shows how much I ever paid attention to the shifter. I always just flipped it up without thinking about it. Why IS there a down position?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
in video mode you can shift up and down. in theory if you are about to crash you can slow down to help you avoid it. in practice there's no real point, and you will want to shift up to 5 right at the start of the video mode. the mode is impossible in gear 1.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
But v.e. says the wizard mode makes all the difference.

I was about to say that I never reached the wizard mode in HS2, but then it occurs to me, I've never reached the wizard mode on ANY table IRL. Unlike TPA, I never had endless tokens.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
People who aren't wowed by the supercharger tend to actually think that high speed 1 is the better game. but gear 4 and 5 are pretty fun. if you haven't got there, then it's not fair to say the table is not fun. The game doesn't actually have the substance that the truly great games have, but many people find it FUN, and it's a a real rush and challenge if it's freshly waxed.

As for wizard modes i have reached in real life, the list is...

1) Redline Mania
2) Tour the Mansion (though i've never completed it)
3) Dark World (Super Mario Brothers Mushroom World)
4) RANSOM.
5) 9 ball on CBW.
6) CUtthroat Countdown on Break Shot.
7) High Noon on CC (ONCE)
8) Beast Challenge on Gladiators (completed it).
9) SUper Frenzy
10) Mega Door BOnus.
11) SUper Dude on Dr. Dude. (collected the gazillion. i think it qualifies)
12) SYstem Failure on Jurassic Park
13) Super Payday

and a number of borderliners.

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
You just had a good game when you played it in real life. this table can kick you to the curb like no other when it's in the mood.
Well maybe you know how I played better than I do :). No, there was a brief period of time when a HS2 was the only machine within 10 miles of where I lived, and so I played it a lot, and I had many good games, not just one. It was too easy from the start. And I've played a few others and they played the same way. I don't remember it all -that- well, but I do remember this stuff.

I was a pretty good player then though... I was a high B player, qualified for semifinals & finals several times (though I never won) in B at PAPA and Pinburgh, and was forced to play in A twice. I was not an A player, but I was getting close. Anyway, the only tables that kicked me around were EM's that I was unfamiliar with. HS2 was easier than most 1990's tables, but not by any shot the easiest. I faintly remember that getting a pile of EB's at the start was easy. I got mad at it mainly because it was the only machine convenient for me to play for a short period of time, after (and before) a long period of having more great tables nearby than I could keep up with. Of course now I've been at least an hour away from any decent machine for about five years :(. I need to move, badly.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
yeah seems you just weren't impressed by the supercharger. The game is a lot more fun with the volume pumped.

also since the game actually has very little substance, it does get boring with repeated plays.

I've never found it to be a consistent ballbuster like twilight zone, but a bad game on it can be VERY bad.

and yes mushroom world has a wizard mode. completing all the other worlds by clearing the drop targets or using starman gets you the final world, which awards you a special, and lights the drops for large point values (but they rapidly drop on their own so you have to hit them first!)

invitro

May 4, 2012
yeah seems you just weren't impressed by the supercharger. The game is a lot more fun with the volume pumped.
I thought the supercharger was awesome at first, it just got old quickly. I'm looking forward to giving HS2 another chance, though.

karl

May 10, 2012
Regarding the shifter. Is it possible to get to the secret mode shifting only up? I only had the game for a couple of months but I seem to remember that you had to shift both up and down when the police cars are outside the diner? Maybe I just remember it wrong.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
good point. that's the only actual reason to shift down. that said secret mania is not really worth it, unless it's a wizard goal (and it probably will be)

karl

May 10, 2012
good point. that's the only actual reason to shift down. that said secret mania is not really worth it, unless it's a wizard goal (and it probably will be)

Agree that it is nothing special, but it still needs to be in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.