Tables for the rest of the year?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Well LOTR would be very high on my wish-list, it's my favorite VPinmame table. I haven't encountered a well maintained live one yet though. I'm curious how LOTR ranks with regard to license cost, complexity to emulate etc. Wouldn't this be a "kickstarter-worthy" table? It doesn't have really complex toys but the ruleset is deep and the license may be expensive because of the fairly recent Jackson films being involved? As a fan of the table I would put it right up there with TZ and STTNG. I would also very much like to see IJ '93 get the pinball arcade treatment.
Slam23

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Spaced Shuttle table is still very pleasant.
Unfortunatly Pinball machines have become rare the last 10 years in France so I don't know if they are really great pinballs made after the year 2000 but the most modern ones I have seen are semi video games with very small mechanical table and you play most of the game on a screen: not the best ones for sure...

I also enjoy Space Shuttle quite a bit. When I first saw a DMD machine (I think it was medieval madness) my initial reaction was that pinball had gone too far in the direction of video games and it was a needless distraction. With more exposure I've come to enjoy these machines with their announced goals, but I still dislike anything played on the screen itself and prefer pre-DMD tables overall.

I think Mars Attacks/Space Shuttle will make an excellent pairing and I'm a fan of both tables.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'm curious how LOTR ranks with regard to license cost, complexity to emulate etc. It doesn't have really complex toys but the ruleset is deep and the license may be expensive because of the fairly recent Jackson films being involved?
Slam23
It uses the Whitestar hardware, which also powered Ripley's and the other pre-2005 Stern releases. Emulating that shouldn't be hard. The license, however, is likely expensive, though it's been nearly a decade since the last film came out, and recent video game treatments have fallen flat sales wise, so it is possible. The two Hobbit movies coming out will likely rekindle interest in the property, however, and raise the cost of the license.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, the Elvira announcement hasn't materialized to date. They also have a pending announcement in regards to their adventures at the licensing expo and mentioned about securing all the licenses needed (or being able to secure with the right amount of money) of a pretty major table.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Spaced Shuttle, Fire Power, Big Shot, and Victory. Turd is, of course, relative. They were great machines in their time (except Victory, which was painfully average even in 1987), but are turds when compared to the releases from the last 20 years.

I definitely disagree with that. I'd still rather play the older machines.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Firepower was actually one of my favorite tables in PHoF, along with Pin*Bot and Taxi. I seem to be nearly alone in this.

Part of it may have been that I was a relatively low-skilled player, and Firepower's relatively simple ruleset removes most of the distractions to concentrating on basic skill development.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Just so everyone knows, we're probably not going to see the following tables show up on The Pinball Arcade until FarSight has the emulation of Williams System 11 running 100%.

Bad Cats
Banzai Run
Big Guns
Black Knight 2000
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball
Cyclone
Diner
Dr Dude
Earthshaker
Elvira ATPM
F-14 Tomcat
Fire!
Game Show
Grand Lizard
High Speed
Jokerz!
Millionaire
Mousin' Around!
Pin•Bot
Police Force
Pool Sharks
Radical!
Riverboat Gambler
Road Kings
Rollergames
Space Station
Swords of Fury
Taxi
Transporter
Whirlwind

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Wow. There are a lot of really good heavy hitter machines in that list. I hope they nail that emu.

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
yeah there are many tables on that list I would love to have on TPA. makes me positive knowing they are working on it tho, I'm in no rush. everytime I get angry with the game, 'cus of some silly bugs, I remind myself who lucky we are to have all the great tables we already have. keep up the good work FS and all the supporters of this great community!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah, the Elvira announcement hasn't materialized to date. They also have a pending announcement in regards to their adventures at the licensing expo and mentioned about securing all the licenses needed (or being able to secure with the right amount of money) of a pretty major table.
They've been pretty tight-lipped on what licenses they've acquired, or what non-PHOF tables they are planning to release. I don't think we'll hear of any new tables/acquired licenses until they are close to releasing them.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Also the rule sets on those System 11 games are considerably more complex than BH, BK or Gorgar. That's a lot of work to do, particularly when you know that it will only be a temporary fix. That said, I thought they did an excellent job of scripting Taxi and Whirlwind in PHOF.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Also the rule sets on those System 11 games are considerably more complex than BH, BK or Gorgar. That's a lot of work to do, particularly when you know that it will only be a temporary fix. That said, I thought they did an excellent job of scripting Taxi and Whirlwind in PHOF.
Yeah, they did, though WW was missing some voice samples.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yeah, they did, though WW was missing some voice samples.

I noticed that while watching a video. I used to think that scripted vs emulated wasn't a big deal, but somehow... It makes me feel like I'm actually playing a real part of the pinball table with emulation. The missing samples in WW are a relatively minor point, but it somehow bothers me more than I thought it would.

Oh, and are all tables on PHOF scripted? Even MM, TotAN and Gofers on the PS3/360? I'm purely guessing, but I somehow assumed that they included their new emulator with these tables when they released these versions, before TPA.

Anyway, I'm really glad WW and Gofers are confirmed, after playing TPA a lot more it gets harder and harder to go back to PHOF physics (which I used to think were just fine).

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I noticed that while watching a video. I used to think that scripted vs emulated wasn't a big deal, but somehow... It makes me feel like I'm actually playing a real part of the pinball table with emulation. The missing samples in WW are a relatively minor point, but it somehow bothers me more than I thought it would.

Oh, and are all tables on PHOF scripted? Even MM, TotAN and Gofers on the PS3/360? I'm purely guessing, but I somehow assumed that they included their new emulator with these tables when they released these versions, before TPA.
The DMD tables were emulated. The rest were scripted.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Firepower was actually one of my favorite tables in PHoF, along with Pin*Bot and Taxi. I seem to be nearly alone in this.

Part of it may have been that I was a relatively low-skilled player, and Firepower's relatively simple ruleset removes most of the distractions to concentrating on basic skill development.

Firepower is awesome, mostly because I love shooting the six spot targets and the sound they make. They are like the big shooting toys in MM, ToM or CV, except that you don't have to shoot them a million times ;)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Well, they did placeholder scripted versions of BH, BK, and Gorgar. Why wouldn't they do the same with some of these?

The tables you mentioned were pretty easy for FarSight to script and they mentioned that they would prefer to wait on the emulation rather than script any Williams System 11 tables.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012

You're not alone. I love Firepower.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.