The On-Going "What has FarSight said about ___ table?" List Thread

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It seems like Farsight is avoiding tables that have any extra licensing period, regardless of how minor it might be. That's probably why they have no plans for F-14 or Road Show, which I would have thought would be definites, and it makes me wonder if Party Zone will suffer the same fate, as it has a couple licensed tracks IIRC./QUOTE]
Road Show I understand (the main song is kinda licensed... or something) but F-14? What's licensed about that?

Ohhh... unless it's the plane itself. I honestly hadn't even considered that.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Road Show I understand (the main song is kinda licensed... or something) but F-14? What's licensed about that?

I don't think F-14 Tomcat is facing any serious licensing issues (even re: the plane). I just think they haven't gotten around to it yet. They just renewed the Williams/Bally license, and are now producing one table a month. It'll take some time to get through all the great tables they can now get to including F-14 Tomcat.

Indeed, I think the same issue faces Road Show. Yes, the song is licensed, but it's not that prohibitive a license. They just need to get through the backlog of other great tables that people want like Who Dunnit?, Junk Yard, High Speed, etc.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
shame .... most of the tables I want seem out of reach. We either need a Rich investor/sponsor or another company with huge reserves of cash to take over TPA.

no mention of Indy 500

Indy 500 rocks. One of my favorites on VP. Too bad we won't ever see that one. Looks like I will always be keeping VP for some tables.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012

The original machine wasn't licensed, but Namco and Sega have had obtain a license to use the plane in Ace Combat and Afterburner (even in Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed), so there's no telling.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I don't think licensed tracks are as huge an issue as some people make out.

I booted up Harley Davidson a few days ago, and realised that it plays Born to be Wild and Bad to the Bone, both very recognisable tracks. It's obviously not something beyond Farsight's budget.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I don't think licensed tracks are as huge an issue as some people make out.

I booted up Harley Davidson a few days ago, and realised that it plays Born to be Wild and Bad to the Bone, both very recognisable tracks. It's obviously not something beyond Farsight's budget.
Maybe they just figured no-one will hear it because no-one in their right mind would play that table?

;)

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Updated the first post with a few recent comments on Joker Poker, Blackout, Xenon, and Party Zone.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
I used to play Capcom tables with just a 2 gig single core processor. Who is that doesn't have the power to emulate it? Certainly not the device I own. Again all they care are about crappy tablets. So that means we will always be gimped by them or last-gen platforms.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
That's a good reason to put a date on these comments. Wasn't the HS comment taken a long time ago? It was probably true at the time, now is just a different time.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's a good reason to put a date on these comments. Wasn't the HS comment taken a long time ago? It was probably true at the time, now is just a different time.

I don't recall the exact date but it is from 2014 i believe

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Long time no see any kickstarter.

We definitely need a new one.

I've seen this kind of request here and there, and it's always made me wonder, why? Wouldn't you rather FarSight find a way to pay for these things themselves? FarSight is the one that NEEDS the kickstarter, not the customers. Yes, I get that some of the tables we want probably won't happen without a kickstarter, but I've just always felt a kickstarter by definition is what gets a company going. FarSight is going just fine.

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
I've seen this kind of request here and there, and it's always made me wonder, why? Wouldn't you rather FarSight find a way to pay for these things themselves? FarSight is the one that NEEDS the kickstarter, not the customers. Yes, I get that some of the tables we want probably won't happen without a kickstarter, but I've just always felt a kickstarter by definition is what gets a company going. FarSight is going just fine.

I'm afraid it would be hard to make more modern pins without support from Kickstarter
I believe this step is essential to enlarge the player base. Licensed super hero and movie tables are more likely to attract younger players and help the player base grow faster.
This means more tables and more possibilities for the future.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm afraid it would be hard to make more modern pins without support from Kickstarter
I believe this step is essential to enlarge the player base. Licensed super hero and movie tables are more likely to attract younger players and help the player base grow faster.
This means more tables and more possibilities for the future.

You're missing my point. At some point, don't you think a company (never mind it being FarSight) that has had success with their product should stop relying on handouts and instead be able to foot the bill itself?

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
^ Of course. Support cannot last forever. The only question is whether it is the right time to be able to produce licensed tables yet.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
You're missing my point. At some point, don't you think a company (never mind it being FarSight) that has had success with their product should stop relying on handouts and instead be able to foot the bill itself?

Hopefully at this point a Kickstarter isn't a handout for Farsight but more of a way to get the community to be apart of what they are doing. Not just sit back and be a consumer.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'd been asking for a date for that for ages, but I know that despite posting an update to the High Speed sentiment in this thread (FS replying to a comment on their FB that "We can't announce anything, but we think you'll be happy" or something along those lines) the OP wasn't updated.

I think we should start from scratch unless we can source dates, personally.

Edit: Maybe I didn't post it in this thread. Apologies if not, I thought I did. Perhaps I was just endlessly nagging about a reference to it so we could be certain.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hopefully at this point a Kickstarter isn't a handout for Farsight but more of a way to get the community to be apart of what they are doing. Not just sit back and be a consumer.

I'm sorry, what??

FarSight isn't feeling the love, the communal satisfaction with the game, so by having people pay extra and fund one of their projects, that will bring everyone together? Silly consumers, they're so lazy.

*searches for sarcasm font*

Here's how I've been a 'part of what they are doing'...
1. I bought the game. Congratulations, I just supported FarSight. After all, if no one bought the game, no more TPA.
2. I found this forum and joined it. Lookey there, a community that is actively talking about what FarSight is doing!
3. I visited FarSight and interviewed them. Hmmm, if only there was more I could be doing...
4. Oh that's right, I then wrote an article about that visit, giving people an insight into how FarSight operates!
5. I regularly visit the TPA Fans IRC chat room, where it's not unheard of for FarSight employees to chat too.
6. I started a podcast specifically about TPA with a few of the others in the community. You should listen, it's good!
7. I just became a moderator of this very forum. That might be a punishment though.

But you're right, the only true way for me to be a part of what FarSight is doing with TPA is to kick in extra money. And then there is Zen, who I do nothing for, yet still get to play licensed Marvel and Star Wars tables.

**I'm not trying to pick on you Naildriver74, but your post nearly gave me whiplash from the double take I did. I'm still waiting for my eyes to quit rolling

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

As a Kickstarter backer, you are nothing more than a micro-transaction Angel Investor when you break it down.

This forum is an (unofficial, but may as well be official) way of getting the community to be a part of what FarSight is doing.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts